Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Work in progress: stalks on 2021 Model S. (and optional round-y wheel)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's an old article. No confirmation yet. I went w/ the Hansshow wheel and it has made a huge difference in how I like the car. Turn signals are still annoying and I have honked at people a couple of times while messing with TACC but an actual wheel makes the car enjoyable to drive.
pxl_20220517_224046885-jpg.805753
That is actually a very nice looking piece of hardware. Some of the offerings for sale look like they got squashed square in a press. I think this looks great if you want a wheel.

Reactions: strider
That's an old article. No confirmation yet. I went w/ the Hansshow wheel and it has made a huge difference in how I like the car. Turn signals are still annoying and I have honked at people a couple of times while messing with TACC but an actual wheel makes the car enjoyable to drive.
pxl_20220517_224046885-jpg.805753
Thanks for the lead on the Hansshow wheel--it's quite a bit cheaper than the TSportline one, doesn't require a core returned (or fee), is a bit more round, and can even retain the heating functionality (I'd like your post if I wasn't such a forum newbie). It doesn't feel too big, does it? Like you say, it still has the other button issues, but it's nice to know there's a decent backup.

As for the Round vs. Yoke option on the wheel swap UI, I was just hoping that they'd use the Model 3 wheel--and maybe entire column--since Ryan found that other than the software, everything else is already plug and play.

And to totally get off track, I'm not sure where you reference your username from, but I often use "Hiryu" for mine because "Strider" is always taken by somebody else. :) Though if you're not referencing it from the video game, that probably doesn't make sense.

Thanks for the lead on the Hansshow wheel--it's quite a bit cheaper than the TSportline one, doesn't require a core returned (or fee), is a bit more round, and can even retain the heating functionality (I'd like your post if I wasn't such a forum newbie). It doesn't feel too big, does it? Like you say, it still has the other button issues, but it's nice to know there's a decent backup.

As for the Round vs. Yoke option on the wheel swap UI, I was just hoping that they'd use the Model 3 wheel--and maybe entire column--since Ryan found that other than the software, everything else is already plug and play.

And to totally get off track, I'm not sure where you reference your username from, but I often use "Hiryu" for mine because "Strider" is always taken by somebody else. :) Though if you're not referencing it from the video game, that probably doesn't make sense.
It's definitely cheaper than TSportline (and is actually a wheel). But there is a $450 core charge. I elected to pay and keep my yoke in case I want to trade it in someday.

As for size, the legacy Model S/X wheel is 15" diameter. The Hansshow wheel as 14.5" diameter (left-right. It is slight shorter top-bottom as the bottom is squared off a bit). It does not feel too big coming from a legacy S/X. I don't have a 3/Y wheel for comparison.

Agreed that making the whole 3/Y column an option would be ideal. The hardware is there and the software exists in the 3/Y, just a matter of enabling it on S/X.

My username comes from Lord of the Rings. Aragorn - Wikipedia

I hope I'm not derailing Ryan's thread here (I'd message you privately strider, but either TMC doesn't have private messaging, or I'm too new for it to be available to me).

Thanks for the diameter measurements--I wasn't expecting the wheel to actually be smaller than the legacy S/X wheel. This totally alleviates any worries I had about it being too big. I think the Model S wheel is maybe 13.5" across; this isn't bad at all.

Did you order yours on Amazon? Did you get the heating option, and if so, does it work well? Any issues with ordering and/or install?

Again, don't mean to derail; if there's a better place for us to discuss, let me know. Maybe the extra traffic on here might help get us an update from Ryan? (though I imagine he's a busy man--what he's already done has been great).

Reactions: LampyDave
I hope I'm not derailing Ryan's thread here (I'd message you privately strider, but either TMC doesn't have private messaging, or I'm too new for it to be available to me).

Thanks for the diameter measurements--I wasn't expecting the wheel to actually be smaller than the legacy S/X wheel. This totally alleviates any worries I had about it being too big. I think the Model S wheel is maybe 13.5" across; this isn't bad at all.

Did you order yours on Amazon? Did you get the heating option, and if so, does it work well? Any issues with ordering and/or install?

Again, don't mean to derail; if there's a better place for us to discuss, let me know. Maybe the extra traffic on here might help get us an update from Ryan? (though I imagine he's a busy man--what he's already done has been great).
Yes, TMC has PMs but I think you need more posts.

I bought my wheel directly from Hansshow.

Looks like there is a 10% discount with code HS10 for the next day.

I ordered on 4/12 and it arrived on 5/16.

I did get the heating option. It works but I never tried it on the yoke so can't compare it. It is not as hot as the wheel on my Volvo XC40 but it has 3 levels (and it's Swedish so they tend to know a few things about heating things :p). MX just has on/off. I only left it on for a minute or so and it was getting warm. Note that it only heats the sides (where the leather is on my wheel) and not the top and bottom (where the carbon fiber is on my wheel). Not sure if you got all leather if they would heat the whole thing.

Install was straightforward although removing the electronics is scary. They are just pressed in. I have a plastic spudger (like a plastic flat blade screwdriver) that I use for electronics. I was able to work that around the center prying up slightly at a bunch of points around. It will come out, just take your time. Airbag was simple to R/R as well as the yoke itself. TSportline has a good video on youtube of the R/R of the airbag and yoke.

I admit I did not watch every second of the video but don't find any mention (or a loose scroll through the comments) on where or how he go this done. It seems like a complete integration, working perfectly as it should from the factory. Unless the developers on this thread went off forum and have brought a kit to market or someone else has, there is an air gap here for me. What did I miss ?

Reactions: McQ14
I admit I did not watch every second of the video but don't find any mention (or a loose scroll through the comments) on where or how he go this done. It seems like a complete integration, working perfectly as it should from the factory. Unless the developers on this thread went off forum and have brought a kit to market or someone else has, there is an air gap here for me. What did I miss ?
This is a review of Ryan H's personal car. We have a prototype on our teamPGR car of a single stalk version. You can see us using it in some of the recent videos regarding our effort at the OLOA: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuSfUFJFjP7dyJC06F5OOMA

I’m late to this, and others have already said it, but this has been some outstanding, insightful, and encouraging work. I’ve appreciated all of it, but especially everything that comes from minute 3:00 of this video onward!

I miss my 2016.5 MS75D and would take it back in a heartbeat. Since I can’t, I’m looking forward to a 2022 M3LR. I plan to drive that at least until the warranty expires, and I’m hoping that the EV market will have changed or this yoke/wheel/stalks situation will have changed or both. I know I won’t buy a car with a yoke and without stalks, so we’ll see what’s on offer then. If it’s a Tesla Model S with a wheel and stalks, I’ll be having a close look.

Thanks,

Todd

PS. Any safety concerns with the airbag in a wheel-replaced MS? Any reason to think it wouldn’t deploy when it’s supposed to or might deploy when it’s NOT supposed to? Thanks.

Reactions: Dan_Foster
  • Disagree
Reactions: kaamaan
PS. Any safety concerns with the airbag in a wheel-replaced MS? Any reason to think it wouldn’t deploy when it’s supposed to or might deploy when it’s NOT supposed to? Thanks.
I am going from memory here, but the airbag is plugged directly into the column and does not go through the translation box. So there should be no chance of the mod doing anything to change when/how the airbag deploys.

However, I believe the 3/Y wheel uses a different airbag than the S/X yoke. So you would need to source a 3/Y airbag along with the wheel.

I have the Hansshow wheel and it uses an OEM yoke as the foundation. So from the systems aspect it is an OEM yoke so no issues there. You move your yoke electronics and airbag across to the Hansshow wheel.

Was hoping for more info from Ryan but it’s been a while so I decided to drink a few beers and figure out how these things work. Was able to read the resistance values from the 3 sets of stalk functions (wipers, beams, signals) to map them out. Probably map out the right stalk later too but probably won't bother trying to implement it as there is a lot more risk when you screw up that side.

36531A92-01CF-4EA6-89CA-D8E0DE515995.jpeg
CB9EB299-AC01-49B8-8CB8-4C09ED34B448.jpeg

Was hoping for more info from Ryan but it’s been a while so I decided to drink a few beers and figure out how these things work. Was able to read the resistance values from the 3 sets of stalk functions (wipers, beams, signals) to map them out. Probably map out the right stalk later too but probably won't bother trying to implement it as there is a lot more risk when you screw up that side.

View attachment 832162View attachment 832165
From what I heard….tesla update killed his mod. Now if this is incorrect then I apologize but this is what I “heard”

From what I heard….tesla update killed his mod. Now if this is incorrect then I apologize but this is what I “heard”
That would seriously suck if it did. That was my one hope at some point but I have found some things that do help deal with the lack of stalks a lot more.

This thread is good for making the controls a bit more tactile to operate. In post #23 I adopted a solution that helps with lack of gear shift stalk which is one of my biggest issues with the yoke.

That would suck. Guess I’ll figure that out soon after I get my cable. I’m fine with the turn buttons actually but it will just be fun to figure this stuff out. One thing I do miss are traditional wiper controls on the stalk. Screw the vision based auto wipers.

Reactions: Murtaya