Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Work in progress: stalks on 2021 Model S. (and optional round-y wheel)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks so much for this effort. Truly appreciate your knowledge and work on this.
Agreed. This is amazing work, and I too am very appreciative. I am so stoked to get this up and running. I had a very tight parallel parking spot the other day. What should have been not too tough, was not only extremely difficult, but down right embarrassing. The turn signals are a minor inconvenience. The lack of gear shifters really detracts from the driving experience.

Reactions: Dan_Foster
I hope this modification gets to the point where a complete dumdum like me can install it. I don't do any automotive work, aside from washing my car anymore, and I don't understand any of the electronic-speak in this thread. But I appreciate what Ryan is doing and again thank him for sharing his expertise, time, and efforts with everyone so generously.

No, I would rather have stalks and a yoke. Actually, I would rather have stalks, a yoke, and a real horn button. 3-point turns are easy with the yoke, put impossible to do quickly with the gear shifting.
I utterly detest the on-screen direction selection. The deletion of that particular stalk and the placement of the new horn ‘button’ are outrageous examples of smart people doing stupid things.

I utterly detest the on-screen direction selection. The deletion of that particular stalk and the placement of the new horn ‘button’ are outrageous examples of smart people doing stupid things.
100% agreed with you on the horn, since this is a control you may need to engage very quickly and unexpectedly while driving, without needing to look down at the yoke.

However, I have personally gotten used to shifting on the screen, since this happens between 0 and 2 times per drive. The automatic shifting is pretty good at predicting which direction to start driving in out of my garage or a parking lot, and swiping on the screen is easily done without looking too closely - and it’s done while stationary anyway. Going to park is easy: come to a stop, keep your foot on the brake pedal for safety, unbuckle your seatbelt, then open the door. Voilà, park auto-engages!

With a fully-functional round wheel (buttons & horn all working) and signal stalk, i think this is a significantly better and safer operating environment than the yoke. The shifter would be nice to have, but not necessary for me.

100% agreed with you on the horn, since this is a control you may need to engage very quickly and unexpectedly while driving, without needing to look down at the yoke.

However, I have personally gotten used to shifting on the screen, since this happens between 0 and 2 times per drive. The automatic shifting is pretty good at predicting which direction to start driving in out of my garage or a parking lot, and swiping on the screen is easily done without looking too closely - and it’s done while stationary anyway. Going to park is easy: come to a stop, keep your foot on the brake pedal for safety, unbuckle your seatbelt, then open the door. Voilà, park auto-engages!

With a fully-functional round wheel (buttons & horn all working) and signal stalk, i think this is a significantly better and safer operating environment than the yoke. The shifter would be nice to have, but not necessary for me.
Since you shift “…between 0 and 2 times per drive,” your environment differs from mine significantly. For nearly all my jobs (which as a musician, take me all over the city), I must parallel park on street, often between the girders for elevated trains and around construction sites which require 11-point parking maneuvers. In this common urban situation, to which Elon appears oblivious, on-screen ‘shifting’ is vile; auto-park is clueless; auto-direction select is worse than useless.

Since you shift “…between 0 and 2 times per drive,” your environment differs from mine significantly. For nearly all my jobs (which as a musician, take me all over the city), I must parallel park on street, often between the girders for elevated trains and around construction sites which require 11-point parking maneuvers. In this common urban situation, to which Elon appears oblivious, on-screen ‘shifting’ is vile; auto-park is clueless; auto-direction select is worse than useless.
Yep. Exactly what I said earlier. It is not big deal for just driving, but complex (multiple) maneuvers are a nightmare.
I almost killed myself yesterday because if this f**ing gear shifting. I had to back into a tight charging spot. I had to maneuver several times, and quickly, as traffic was coming. I slid the gear into reverse, and tapped the pedal, and I lurched FORWARD into traffic. I nearly s**t my pants. I just did not meaningfully and carefully slide the gear down, when I thought I had. Absolutely, ridiculously, dangerous. There was some guy who reported Tesla to the NHTSB because of the turn signals. That is not interesting, but not life-critical. This gear shifting issue clearly is. I am absolutely livid at what happened to me yesterday.

Yep. Exactly what I said earlier. It is not big deal for just driving, but complex (multiple) maneuvers are a nightmare.
I almost killed myself yesterday because if this f**ing gear shifting. I had to back into a tight charging spot. I had to maneuver several times, and quickly, as traffic was coming. I slid the gear into reverse, and tapped the pedal, and I lurched FORWARD into traffic. I nearly s**t my pants. I just did not meaningfully and carefully slide the gear down, when I thought I had. Absolutely, ridiculously, dangerous. There was some guy who reported Tesla to the NHTSB because of the turn signals. That is not interesting, but not life-critical. This gear shifting issue clearly is. I am absolutely livid at what happened to me yesterday.
I can absolutely see how that could happen. But it never did, nor would it ever happen with a stalk because one can select direction instantly, without looking, without taking one’s hand off the wheel. And the satisfying clunk with which the lever moves offers instant tactile feedback that you’ve selected the opposite direction successfully. It was perfect; the new method is a complete ergonomic failure. Musk’s decision to move the critical function of direction selection to the screen is utterly indefensible.

I’ve read many apologists for the new controls argue along the lines of ‘…they work great in 95% of driving scenarios,’ as if that’s supposed to be a good percentage—like passing a high school math test. But if I, a musician, played 5% of the notes incorrectly, that would be the sound of unemployed. A surgeon who killed 5% of her patients in routine operations would be a malpractice nightmare. Controls like what direction the car goes when you stomp on the pedal need to work—and feel great working—in 100% of scenarios.

The 95% argument is upside down: it is much more significantly the small percentage of time driving tight maneuvers, in situations where one must act quickly to get of the way (like you described above), or in any kind of emergency which determine how well a control functions in the real world, in real driving. How instinctively they fall to hand, how they instill confidence through reliable feedback. By these metrics, the new controls are utterly horrid. No amount of fealty to Musk, nor absurd justifications are meaningful—the new controls just suck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn’t this the action that exists in all Tesla cars…
It is. Just highlighting the fact that you don’t need to use the screen (or theoretical gear stalk) to tell the car to go to park, it will just do it on its own given the actions I described above.

I’ve been driving without a gear stalk for 6 months now (and over 7,000 miles) and haven’t missed it at all. What I dearly missed was the signal stalk for signaling, high beams, and windshield wipers, as well as a real horn. Not to mention a round steering wheel for maneuvering in the city and the race track.

Tesla might be bringing native normal steering wheel to Yoke cars, no mention of Stalks, source:
1645891708670.png

If they go the "cheap way" and share parts with 3/Y then we get stalks, if they make brand new round wheel with the Yoke's awful buttons then our only hope is OP and the two companies he worked with

I ordered a Rivian last week, no stalks & round wheel - no buy, Tesla got time until I can convert my deposit to a purchase but as the above picture shows ... little to no faith that it will come to be

I wouldn't be surprised that the sole existence of this thread pushed them over the edge to consider such an option. I'm quite sure, though they won't go back to stalks.

It's also possible that the whole rumor is spread just to distract aftermarket from doing the kit in production volumes with the hope that people eventually get used to it.

I will say, that the yoke is absolutely one of the most beautiful and coolest things I have ever seen in a car. At the same time, I will agree that everything that @rhuber said is spot on. The yoke makes absolutely zero practical sense. It looks frickin’ cool, and I love it for that, but it ends there. I have yet to see one rational argument that makes the yoke better than a wheel, except for the coolness factor. Not one. I dare someone to prove me wrong. Every single person who likes the yoke has at best said they adapted to it. I still plan to keep it, but desperately want the stalks. Even then, I may still add the wheel. One step at a time though. I just pray that my love for the yoke doesn’t come back to bite me in the ass and cause me to get in an accident. That is a kind of irony that I just don’t need.
I don't think there can be an argument for the yoke (sans stalks) being better than a wheel (with stalks). However, I'd like to list some things that I like about my yoke, after 5 months of living with it:

1. Visibility of screen
2. Driving position of hands at all times (except during parking-lot maneuvers/U-turns). I love the fact there are horizontal and vertical grab-on options. The positions feel more natural and relaxing to me on the yoke. Going hand-over-hand with the yoke is awkward, but not a big deal to me because those are low-speed situations.

Those benefits were instant, no adaptation required.

The things I do not like are the usual suspects: Lack of stalks for directionals and brights, the screen-based shifting esp. when in a rush (exactly the backing-into-a-space scenario as described above or any sort of 3-point turn... you "miss" one of those shifts and it's ugly).

I'm not a DIY-er so if there's an aftermarket stalk product I'd have to pay somebody to install it, but that would be fine.

Reactions: McQ14
Joke is a HUGE problem when a little panic happens with the AP ON or without when a fast grip without thinking is necessary. This marketing gimmick makes sure we at least almost crash EVERY TIME when a little panic happens. Tesla "designers" are not drivers or not much smart.

And the biggest problem when driving comfortably are surely the missing stalks. Now totally forget about parking fast. If there is an option to easily swap, we'd be more than happy! <3 :)

The fact that Tesla has serious problems with "designers" is the new UI or just the position of a side camera window on screen when signalling to turn. I just cannot watch it because the duuumb position and I even don't see it properly because I have my hand there. The great overall ergonomy has totally gone in V11.

Last edited:
Tesla might be bringing native normal steering wheel to Yoke cars, no mention of Stalks, source:
View attachment 774050
If they go the "cheap way" and share parts with 3/Y then we get stalks, if they make brand new round wheel with the Yoke's awful buttons then our only hope is OP and the two companies he worked with

I ordered a Rivian last week, no stalks & round wheel - no buy, Tesla got time until I can convert my deposit to a purchase but as the above picture shows ... little to no faith that it will come to be
Please change before May! lol

Hey folks. I know it has been long stretches of zero useful updates, but just know that there are a few things at play:

1) I always underestimate the effort required to replicate something that took me weeks, and somehow think you can just throw it together and it isn't hard. If I had released my work without some refinement, it would have probably been a minor disaster of people trying to work off of seat-of-the-pants engineering.

2) My day job is busy as f---, and I just can't touch this stuff most days, much as I'd love to.

All those excuses out of the way, check out the latest prototype "brain" (on the right, obvs) with a huge bunch of help from my friend @Quickshoe to turn my soldered up prototype into a proper pcb. His board even worked the VERY FIRST TIME it was plugged in to my car, which is mind blowing!

We are still figuring out if/how/when/what this becomes a thing people can get from (somewhere), but I still plan to release my original specs so someone could cobble together their own soldered up version like mine on the left, if they choose. Just know that it is not easy and I'll stop saying it is easy and I'm sorry I said it was easy.

But mannnnn is the one on the right nice, Right?

prototypes.jpeg

Hey folks. I know it has been long stretches of zero useful updates, but just know that there are a few things at play:

1) I always underestimate the effort required to replicate something that took me weeks, and somehow think you can just throw it together and it isn't hard. If I had released my work without some refinement, it would have probably been a minor disaster of people trying to work off of seat-of-the-pants engineering.

2) My day job is busy as f---, and I just can't touch this stuff most days, much as I'd love to.

All those excuses out of the way, check out the latest prototype "brain" (on the right, obvs) with a huge bunch of help from my friend @Quickshoe to turn my soldered up prototype into a proper pcb. His board even worked the VERY FIRST TIME it was plugged in to my car, which is mind blowing!

We are still figuring out if/how/when/what this becomes a thing people can get from (somewhere), but I still plan to release my original specs so someone could cobble together their own soldered up version like mine on the left, if they choose. Just know that it is not easy and I'll stop saying it is easy and I'm sorry I said it was easy.

But mannnnn is the one on the right nice, Right?

View attachment 783264

Lovely!

Reactions: Dan_Foster