Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Work in progress: stalks on 2021 Model S. (and optional round-y wheel)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can generally manage for the most part without turn signal stalks, but doing any kind of back and forth maneuvering with the on-screen shifter is a complete joke, - laughably stupid. It's downright dangerous when you need to do an emergency reverse, e.g. moving through a tricky stop sign but need to back up a little when a car is coming.

I'll have to post the video of me nearly reversing into a parked car while parallel parking because I thought I had swiped in the right place or enough, but hadn't, and... oy... Sure, it would have been my mistake, but it was REALLY a close one that would never, ever have happened in my Model 3 where you can shift blindfolded.

Actually, here you go, - just uploaded it. You can see where I meant to be in D, and was still in R. Missed hitting the car by about... nothing.

this, this a hundred times, this a THOUSAND TIMES. It is EXACTLY what I wrote about several pages back and why I have an R1S reservation .. the no super charger part is going to be the end of me though... so really rooting for OP here to deliver a product so I could get it for my Cybertruck ..

I can generally manage for the most part without turn signal stalks, but doing any kind of back and forth maneuvering with the on-screen shifter is a complete joke, - laughably stupid. It's downright dangerous when you need to do an emergency reverse, e.g. moving through a tricky stop sign but need to back up a little when a car is coming.

I'll have to post the video of me nearly reversing into a parked car while parallel parking because I thought I had swiped in the right place or enough, but hadn't, and... oy... Sure, it would have been my mistake, but it was REALLY a close one that would never, ever have happened in my Model 3 where you can shift blindfolded.

Actually, here you go, - just uploaded it. You can see where I meant to be in D, and was still in R. Missed hitting the car by about... nothing.

I've had this happen a few times. The issue for me is when I'm trying to switch direction but still moving too fast, the car lets you swipe the screen and does the animation but nothing happens. It should either disable the swiping UI or it should make the error beep if the direction wasn't changed.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Based on the pricing for 3rd party wheels, I am pretty confident that Tesla keeps the yoke as part of the swap for that price.
Why?

Tesla can nothing with the old yoke, besides throwing it away.

They certainly can't install it on a new car, and I sincerely hope they'll allow the buyer to keep the old yoke, in case it's ever needed, for example, if it becomes a private party sale or for trade-in purposes as well (taste can be hard to gauge).

A new yoke installed without tax is $908. When I had this done I was able to keep the old yoke. I did have to ask though. I guess we have to wait till march to find out if we can keep it. I'll want to for sure. I'll be ordering a wheel as soon as they are available.

I have a friend who is interested and motivated to handle all aspects of marketing/selling this, so I am strongly considering it. But just be aware that this thing is going to be sold for a premium, to make it worth his (and my) time. The fact that I've been using it for over a year with zero issues is compelling to me as something that won't require extensive support, and that's a big deal in this game. I didn't want to have to worry about tesla updates breaking it, but so far that has _never happened once_, which is great. I'm even running an FSD Beta (which is garbage software, btw :) ) build, and it works fine with FSD Beta (garbage, as mentioned.) just fine.
I know some folks just want stalks but wish to keep the yoke. I am going to do a quick pseudy-survey for folks watching this thread:

If you are interested in a wheel + stalks, please react to this message with the green lightbulb thingy.View attachment 890487

If you are interested in a yoke + stalks setup, please react to this message with a laughing emoji thingy.View attachment 890488
Thanks @rhuber, this is great news. I also picked both wheel and stalks, although it seems to me if Tesla offers the wheel retrofit for $700 it may not be worth your while to include it in your upgrade. Looking forward to seeing this come alive!

Thanks @rhuber, this is great news. I also picked both wheel and stalks, although it seems to me if Tesla offers the wheel retrofit for $700 it may not be worth your while to include it in your upgrade. Looking forward to seeing this come alive!
I'd prefer the Model 3 wheel over the new Model S wheel. Not only is it a lot easier to use the thumb wheels without having to worry about triggering some other function, but I always thought the Model 3 is just about the perfect size for a sporty car.

Reactions: pitiso and Atraf
I'd prefer the Model 3 wheel over the new Model S wheel. Not only is it a lot easier to use the thumb wheels without having to worry about triggering some other function, but I always thought the Model 3 is just about the perfect size for a sporty car.

Yes, Tesla messed up the scroll wheels on the new S/X, because they don't stick out as far as they do on the 3/Y, due to the curvature of the center portion of the yoke. Really mind-boggling they screwed this up.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
I haven't measured it, but there's a chance the Model 3 wheel wouldn't block any part of the main screen, as opposed to the Yoke, which blocks the most important button on it, the car icon at the bottom left.
It’s actually not important at all. You can swipe from the left edge of the screen to the right, -anywhere along the left edge - to bring up the car menu. You never need to actually tap the car icon itself.

this, this a hundred times, this a THOUSAND TIMES. It is EXACTLY what I wrote about several pages back and why I have an R1S reservation .. the no super charger part is going to be the end of me though... so really rooting for OP here to deliver a product so I could get it for my Cybertruck ..

Suggest move to, or near, "Sunny Inyokern" CA. AKA, "100 miles from somewhere"

About 20 fast SuC and Rivian chargers in the center of "town"

Reactions: Atraf
I haven't measured it, but there's a chance the Model 3 wheel wouldn't block any part of the main screen, as opposed to the Yoke, which blocks the most important button on it, the car icon at the bottom left.
It still does, but not as badly as the yoke (or the new large wheel). I think the Model 3 wheels is at least an inch smaller in diameter.