Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worried about non-employee, non-owner deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a line waiter, 37th at Burbank, on 3/31/2016. My account shows February delivery. I guess it doesn't count that I am an investor. I am even the god father of an employee. That doesn't count either.

Does anyone else think that Tesla is misleading us with deliveries? They are selling in Norway I hear. They are selling back east. And yet us line waiters just wait. I am getting discouraged. Sure I would buy the Sedan S if I could get it out the door with state taxes for $72,000 or less but that won't happen.

Now what about the gift that Musk was giving us line waiters. I know of more than a few tesla owners who were line waiters and they didn't get a gift. Not that they needed one. If you can afford an S and a 3, well they are better off than me.

So what does everyone think? Is tesla misleading us early line waiters? My biggest concern with their algorithm for who gets a model 3 might overlook me because I had two reservations and got rid of one. So I am thinking that I got placed somewhere other than where I should be. Perhaps that was a negative that I asked for a refund.

Any thoughts on us line waiters. My website says delivery in Dec to Feb 2018.

I'm in the same Dec-Feb group as you, line waiter in CA as well, and I think the reality is the ramp has been slow enough they just haven't gotten through all the "owner" reservations yet. It's pretty obvious a LOT of previous Tesla owners put a reservation in, even if sadly enough it was just to try to flip it, so even at a 1000/week it will take a couple months to work through them all.

It's been a long two years for all of us, but it ain't over yet! ;)

In what way would they be misleading people? They are opening up the configurator in exactly the way they said they would. You're right, investors do not get priority, nor do godparents. As a line waiter in CA you should be among the first non-owners to get invited to configure, so far there have been none, so you really don't have any basis for thinking anything is being done contrary to what they said they were going to do.

The only thing in your post that would be against what they initially said would be them selling in Norway, but you'll need to provide some evidence of that.

There are dozens of threads on the "gift", they all say the same thing ... no one knows anything about it.

Also need to keep note: just because they can produce (lets say) 1k/day that doesn't mean their delivery infrastructure can support 1k/day in all locations. Some delivery locations may currently be able to delivery 5/day with 300 people waiting in that area.

Numbers made up but bring home the point.

I'm a non-owner line-waiter with a Nov17-Jan18 delivery window. But the My Tesla page has always said Estimate. I'm bummed I haven't been invited, but it's not unexpected. It's a big challenge for Tesla, but they'll get there. I know I'll get my car soon enough.

It doesn't do a lot of good to worry about things you have no control over.
If you are in a serious rush, the Ebay 'used' Model 3's have had a big price drop.
If you don't qualify for the Fed Credit, buying one is not going to be a big jump in price.

I'm not really worried cuz after hearing the various posts about quirks, issues, annoyances...I'd rather wait to see the vehicle mature in both performance and build quality before I actually take delivery.

Also while waiting...I've been looking at alternatives...cuz why not...and although the alternatives are not pure EV, the features they have are above what's offered in the Model 3 and are pretty compelling. Kinda wanna wait for the Mission E specs to be released before I order a Model 3....cuz... really..."There is no Substitute".

I'm a non-owner (unless you count a $40k solar/powerwall installation) line waiter and also say Dec-Feb. Personally I'm very curious to what they will say on their earnings call Tuesday afternoon. I'd expect a very specific update on the Model 3 production and how it is progressing, or if there is a bottleneck that we don't know about yet.

I'm not worried since it's only the first day of the month, so there are 27 more days where I can have the car delivered. Even if it doesn't make it, if I get it in March or April I may just end up waiting for AWD in Aug/Sept since we should still receive the full tax credit then.

With each check of my Tesla account, I am considering extending the lease on my smart EV by yet another month. It's cheap enough, MB has been accommodating with this (though, really, what good would returning a 2014 model do them at this point?), and our household would prefer not to be down to one car.

Having had a chance to test drive the Model 3, the wait is more difficult. It wasn't a long test drive, but I liked the feel much better than the Model S. If I want a car as big as the S, I'd get the Model X (which I haven't had a chance to test drive, and is out of my price range with the specifications I want).

I have not seen range degradation on the smart EV - huge thumbs up for liquid cooled battery packs! I'm trying to look at this as being able to put more money down - maybe I'll even get my SGIP rebate for my Powerwalls before ordering. But, man, I hope I don't have to wait that long. My estimate is also Dec 2017 - Feb 2018 (CA line waiter, non-owner).

In my estimations the line is moving faster than you would expect based on the volume of production. There really aren't that many Model 3's made yet, but most the Employee/Investor/Loyalty reservations have been offered Configuration already.
A good number are deferring, some have opted out. I believe we will see Conquest buyers getting their LR cars starting in March.
I believe a big portion of Conquest buyers are going wait for the Model 3 base car, or the AWD. A Model 3LR with AP2, and a non-black color are going to start at $56k + tax, which in California can be 10%. So over $60k. This is significantly above the mean price for the ICE market, and over the used Model S market.

We will see.

In my estimations the line is moving faster than you would expect based on the volume of production. There really aren't that many Model 3's made yet, but most the Employee/Investor/Loyalty reservations have been offered Configuration already.
A good number are deferring, some have opted out. I believe we will see Conquest buyers getting their LR cars starting in March.
I believe a big portion of Conquest buyers are going wait for the Model 3 base car, or the AWD. A Model 3LR with AP2, and a non-black color are going to start at $56k + tax, which in California can be 10%. So over $60k. This is significantly above the mean price for the ICE market, and over the used Model S market.

We will see.

In percentages, sure, but the absolute number of non-owner first config orders is still going to be large.

I am a line waiter, 37th at Burbank, on 3/31/2016. My account shows February delivery. I guess it doesn't count that I am an investor. I am even the god father of an employee. That doesn't count either.

Does anyone else think that Tesla is misleading us with deliveries? They are selling in Norway I hear. They are selling back east. And yet us line waiters just wait. I am getting discouraged. Sure I would buy the Sedan S if I could get it out the door with state taxes for $72,000 or less but that won't happen.

Now what about the gift that Musk was giving us line waiters. I know of more than a few tesla owners who were line waiters and they didn't get a gift. Not that they needed one. If you can afford an S and a 3, well they are better off than me.

So what does everyone think? Is tesla misleading us early line waiters? My biggest concern with their algorithm for who gets a model 3 might overlook me because I had two reservations and got rid of one. So I am thinking that I got placed somewhere other than where I should be. Perhaps that was a negative that I asked for a refund.

Any thoughts on us line waiters. My website says delivery in Dec to Feb 2018.
There are no 3's being sold in Norway and won't be for some time. Yes, S and X are available there, not the 3. No idea where you heard that from.

And I can't believe people are still hung up on the "something special"....let it go....

In percentages, sure, but the absolute number of non-owner first config orders is still going to be large.
The biggest factor will be how many Conquests will config a 3LR vs defer to a 3SR or other reasons.
A lot of the excitement when reservations opened was a 200+ mile Tesla for $35k. I was not alone in my assumption that the first run would be $50k or higher.
Investors and Loyalty buyers are not as affected by price, but apparently many Loyalty buyers deferred anyways.
The pool of Conquest buyers while far larger is probably not as affluent, so the initial conversion to a sale should be a much smaller percentage.

• Informative
Reactions: TEG
The biggest factor will be how many Conquests will config a 3LR vs defer to a 3SR or other reasons.
A lot of the excitement when reservations opened was a 200+ mile Tesla for $35k. I was not alone in my assumption that the first run would be $50k or higher.
Investors and Loyalty buyers are not as affected by price, but apparently many Loyalty buyers deferred anyways.
The pool of Conquest buyers while far larger is probably not as affluent, so the initial conversion to a sale should be a much smaller percentage.

A crucial element, in my opinion is AWD. I think that lots of the existing owners are deferring either to get it, or in the hope of getting it before the tax credit starts reducing.

Since I am a Conquest early-3/31-onliner who wants a SR RWD, if I were selfish I'd be hoping that they can't deliver AWD until Q4 because as soon as AWD is available I know that there's a bunch of deferrals that'll jump ahead of me.