Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worst car buying experience ever

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has been the worst car buying experience I've ever had. I've purchased a lot of cars in the past including a couple Teslas. The first strike was the lack of communication while I waited to schedule the delivery. No one seemed to have any information whatever. Then once I got the delivery email and confirmed via email, I noticed that my delivery date was wrong. I then called my delivery advisor in Westmont, IL who quickly told me that I didn't have a car and that the original email I received must've been a mistake. Ugh, ok. Then I get call from another advisor in Fremont, CA who says the opposite and that the other delivery advisor is just not up to speed on the recent process changes. Ok. So at this point I confirmed my delivery again. Great. Now today I call my advisor today to get an ETA on my MVPA so I can secure financing and he says "Oh, I'm sorry to give you bad news again, but your car isn't going to be here by your delivery date of the 18th. It won't be here till the first week of October". Now I'm really frustrated. So when was anyone going to tell me any of this? At this point I can't recommend a friend order a Tesla. This is too much of a headache. I never thought I'd say this but I'd rather deal with the traditional dealership model.

Thankfully if BMW is sucking hard with their M3 I’m just gonna go across the street and get me one of them RS3s.

If Tesla doesn’t get their act together soon, I’m going to go buy myself a Lucid!

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Actually I do. This is my 3rd Tesla

Tesla delivery model is being stretched with the rollout of the 3 ..I would hope you enjoy/enjoyed your other three Tesla’s and understand that this is a temporary thing and focus on the car ..I’m not an apologist for Tesla’s internal dissarray on delivery they are inconsistent across the board I too have had 3 Tesla’s and my experience is different ..I do still like the car though ;)...good luck and hopefully u get your 3 soon !

• Love
Reactions: MXWing
Tesla delivery model is being stretched with the rollout of the 3 ..I would hope you enjoy/enjoyed your other three Tesla’s and understand that this is a temporary thing and focus on the car ..I’m not an apologist for Tesla’s internal dissarray on delivery they are inconsistent across the board I too have had 3 Tesla’s and my experience is different ..I do still like the car though ;)...good luck and hopefully u get your 3 soon !

Thanks. Don't get me wrong, I love what Tesla is trying to achieve and I love their cars. But other than that, it's a mess.

We shouldn't have to make excuses (not saying you are, just in general) for a multi-billion dollar company. We should expect more and say something if its service is not up to par. No one told Elon or whoever to set the expectations that they did, only to not achieve them and piss off potential customers in its wake. I've seen people complain for much less, like waiting too long to get their food. But it's not ok to complain about misinformation and delays for a car that costs thousands? C'mon.

This has been the worst car buying experience I've ever had. I've purchased a lot of cars in the past including a couple Teslas. The first strike was the lack of communication while I waited to schedule the delivery. No one seemed to have any information whatever. Then once I got the delivery email and confirmed via email, I noticed that my delivery date was wrong. I then called my delivery advisor in Westmont, IL who quickly told me that I didn't have a car and that the original email I received must've been a mistake. Ugh, ok. Then I get call from another advisor in Fremont, CA who says the opposite and that the other delivery advisor is just not up to speed on the recent process changes. Ok. So at this point I confirmed my delivery again. Great. Now today I call my advisor today to get an ETA on my MVPA so I can secure financing and he says "Oh, I'm sorry to give you bad news again, but your car isn't going to be here by your delivery date of the 18th. It won't be here till the first week of October". Now I'm really frustrated. So when was anyone going to tell me any of this? At this point I can't recommend a friend order a Tesla. This is too much of a headache. I never thought I'd say this but I'd rather deal with the traditional dealership model.
500,000 people ordered the car. Many ordered before you. Why should they bump them to move you up? Stop contacting them. Your turn will come when it’s your turn

500,000 people ordered the car. Many ordered before you. Why should they bump them to move you up? Stop contacting them. Your turn will come when it’s your turn

Maybe your reading comprehension isn't the best but I never said I wanted to be bumped in front of anyone. My main point is that I've been given incorrect information multiple times. I was first told my car was ready for delivery (got the delivery email), then told it wasn't, then told it was (at this point I confirmed my delivery date) and then I was told today that my car is in transit but won't make it to the store in time for delivery. So tell me how this is a "good" delivery experience?

My main point is that I've been given incorrect information multiple times.
Today I have been given SEVERAL incorrect informations for things unrelated to Tesla! No biggie, this is life. The main issue is not about being given incorrect information, but how you deal with that incorrect information.
t2706.gif
Look at the bright side, you will be getting your car before most people.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA and Stacks
A friend of mine in Chicago is experiencing similar communications drama trying to get his hands on his Model 3. It’s been a total mess.

Two data points don’t make a trend but this process seems to have room for improvement. They’re fortunate that the cars are so great.

At least with a traditional dealer you can pick out a car and drive it home the same day. Once Tesla has some inventory all this other delivery nonsense will end. Better days are ahead.

EDIT: Krugerand...you saying better days are not ahead?

• Disagree
Reactions: Krugerrand
I just got my P3D+ after only a 30 day wait and live in California. I personally think they are pushing as many cars as possible out to states close to CA in order to sell as many as possible before the end of the quarter. They may have taken your car and delivered to someone closer. I did not have my VIN until 2 days before delivery. Not sure if I am right but it is my theory. I love my car and hope they give you straight answers moving forward. I was given a date and delivered as promised and in great condition. I hope I am not the exception. I love my car and Tesla!!!

• Love
I'm in a worse situation, having had terrible communication with the delivery team. I've had my deliver canceled twice on me on 8/8 and 8/30. The first time I was canceled 45 minutes before delivery, the 2nd time 2 days. The worst part of the 2nd event? They canceled on my after my bank had already cut the check and mailed it out. So I've been paying interest on for a car I haven't even seen yet for the past 2 weeks for > $75k loan (big loan for gap assurance protection). Already made the 1st month payment too.

So yeah, they're still disorganized as hell. As for me, I will love my car when I get it, I can't honestly recommend them to other people without the huge disclaimer that you may have issues with deliveries, but hell I'll still recommend the car to anyone who has the smallest interest in it.

Our delivery on our Model S was actually pretty great. Communications, everything. That was over a year ago before the Model 3 went into production. I kind of wondered how smooth things would be on our Model 3 purchase with so much quarterly pressure, not enough trained people in place to handle deliveries and the cars coming out of the factory at this rate.

We’ve also had two attempts at scheduling and it’s been so-so on the communications end. Definitely a weakness right now. Hopefully our car will be ready and get delivered this scheduled 3rd go round and I can forget about the growing pains. If I knew nothing of Tesla, what they’ve been going through and how great the cars really are, as a newbie I’d be pretty critical and less understanding. I think they’ve accomplished a lot, had delays, but learned from them and are always trying to improve. The end product is exciting and I think worth the wait albeit without the confusion along the way. I’m sure it would be much easier with more funding and without all the negative pressure.

I seriously suspect this is my last Tesla. At least i hope that in 10 years or so (the time i tend to hold cars) my choices will no longer be constrained by supercharger network superiority. I really hope having a green car will not require putting up with that much *** and $$$, and soon. I hope that what is exclusive today, will get mundane. Elon said he would consider that a success for his mission. I agree.

I seriously suspect this is my last Tesla. At least i hope that in 10 years or so (the time i tend to hold cars) my choices will no longer be constrained by supercharger network superiority. I really hope having a green car will not require putting up with that much *** and $$$, and soon. Elon said he would consider that a success for his mission. I agree.
Pretty bold prediction considering you have no idea what Tesla or cars will look like in ten years.

Pretty bold prediction considering you have no idea what Tesla or cars will look like in ten years.
I don't predict. I hope. Monopolies are never good for the end consumer. And like i said, Elon hopes the same. :) I hope in 10 years i can pick up a corolla from a lot accross the town for 15k that can charge in 10 minutes and go 300 miles, and leave supercars (or space ships, for that matter) to Elon.

Last edited: