Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worth it to upgrade from LR RWD to P3D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The P3D+’s wheels are susceptible to pothole damage so if you hit those now at any time in your 3 you might be looking at $1k+ per wheel/tire to fix that hot mess with your new-to-you performance model. You also can’t use take-offs of the OEM 18s or 19s as they won’t fit so expect to shell out $2500+ for aftermarket 18s with tires. If you live where it snows, the P3D+ also has summer only tires (unless PO replaced them with all-seasons or gives you a winter tire set). So expect to possibly get expensive winter tires ($300-$400+ each) for the 20s (with limited selection) or the aforementioned aftermarket 18s with a set of winter and summer tires (+$1k for adding the summers).

Don’t forget to check insurance which can be much more costly with the performance trims.

Everybody thinks they want a performance model because it's so much fun on the test drive. But outside of impressing friends who have never driven a Tesla, the majority of the time will be spent in cruise control or AP.

And if you have the performance upgrades, expect less range, rougher ride, and more tire noise.

Just something to consider. It's rarely about the test drive and more about what you expect from the vehicle on a day to day basis and budget. At least that's the practical way of thinking. Otherwise, just get the faster expensive one a call it a day.

Everybody thinks they want a performance model because it's so much fun on the test drive. But outside of impressing friends who have never driven a Tesla, the majority of the time will be spent in cruise control or AP.

And if you have the performance upgrades, expect less range, rougher ride, and more tire noise.

Just something to consider. It's rarely about the test drive and more about what you expect from the vehicle on a day to day basis and budget. At least that's the practical way of thinking. Otherwise, just get the faster expensive one a call it a day.

I've learned that the peace of mind knowing that you got the fastest one and can't make it any quicker is worth the price difference. :D

Also, after you drive the Performance model, the other models feel slow. :eek:

Lots of suggestions with several good points. I faced the same decision you are, and decided to keep my LR RWD. The primary reason is the difference in AWD and RWD feel. I prefer not to have the pull of the front motor during cornering and everyday driving. I'm an old guy, so rear wheel drive is my preferred road feel. If you want performance, clearly the RWD won't top a P model, but if you want more of a handling feel, perhaps you'll find the RWD is hard to beat. I still enjoy playing with a friend's P, but overall I'm happy with keeping the RWD.

The other point I'll make is that any EV has instantaneous acceleration whenever you want it. Despite the P car's faster acceleration and top end speed, in reality from 30-70 or 20-50 both cars offer similar performance. That, coupled with better steering feel, makes the LR RWD a fun ride in all conditions, not just straight line speed. Add to that the more comfortable 19" wheel package on the RWD, and overall for 99% of my driving the RWD is the better car.

Last edited:
I will start by saying, I have a performance.

Love it, but often wonder if i should have gone with the AWD instead with the family and road trips which make tire costs go up as I have to replace more often.

I likely won’t be tracking the car as there aren’t many options around where I live, so I’ll never get the most out of the car.

Then I have a young family who don’t car about the car, it’s just a way to daycare for them and somewhere to put all their stuffed animals.

And then I drop everyone off where they are supposed to be, and it’s just me and empty kid seats. I can do whatever the **** I want for those few minutes of freedom. That’s when I remember I always buy the most ridiculous version of a car for a reason.

I think to myself, if I planned to buy the performance, but then takes myself out of it and “settled” for an AWD (no offence awd people) I would see a performance and think to myself “that’s what I should have done”

your money, your choice, but if you’re the kind of person that needs every last drop a car has on tap, get the performance. The AWD is 95% as much car, but for me, that 5% is where my brain is designed to live.

Good luck with your decision, either choice is a good one.

ps, “performance boost” makes the awd close the gap quite a bit.

Lots of suggestions with several good points. I faced the same decision you are, and decided to keep my LR RWD. The primary reason is the difference in AWD and RWD feel. I prefer not to have the pull of the front motor during cornering and everyday driving. I'm an old guy, so rear wheel drive is my preferred road feel. If you want performance, clearly the RWD won't top a P model, but if you want more of a handling feel, perhaps you'll find the RWD is hard to beat. I still enjoy playing with a friend's P, but overall I'm happy with keeping the RWD.

The other point I'll make is that any EV has instantaneous acceleration whenever you want it. Despite the P car's faster acceleration and top end speed, in reality from 30-70 or 20-50 both cars offer similar performance. That, coupled with better steering feel, makes the LR RWD a fun ride in all conditions, not just straight line speed. Add to that the more comfortable 19" wheel package on the RWD, and overall for 99% of my driving the RWD is the better car.
I’m sorry but I played with my friends RWD and from a 30mph pull, a Performance runs away from a RWD easily.

here is a video from Engineering Explained why. Traded in his RWD model and got a Performance. The Performance models have an induction motor in the front and that is the motor that provides instantaneous torque and response vs the permanent magnetic motors. That induction motor makes a world of difference in response in the real world.

I have a 2018 Model 3 - LR RWD, and have been thinking about upgrading to an ‘18-‘19 P3D. I’m not concerned with the loss in efficiency range. I purchased mine just over a year ago for $44k, and should still be able to get close to that number today.

With preowned P3D’s selling for low 50’s used, just curious if anyone has made the switch and what they thought? I haven’t driven the P3D, so I’m a bit in the dark.
I have both. My wife predominately drives the RWD and I drive the P... but last week I drove the RWD exclusively.

I love the feel and handling of RWD vs AWD. It is very fun to drive. That said, the difference in acceleration is noticeable. The RWD is a very fast car. The P? Another plane. It depends on how much you need or would use that last half inch of go pedal.

Before I bought my Model 3 Performance+, I used to read about these ‘issues’ & it was something that I was slightly concerning to me; however, after taking delivery, I find that they’re really blown out of proportion: my ride is fine (even on messed up city streets) & not too rough - shock is absorbed just fine; tire/road noise levels inside the cabin are within normal levels (not noticeably different from my other vehicles); range hasn’t been an issue, albeit I do have a HPWC & I don’t find myself having range issues with my use (ymmv).

Huh? There’s precisely zero competition between the LR RWD and 3P at 30-70 or 20-50. Not sure why you think they’re similar? And with the new Track Mode features you can make the 3P really read-wheel drive biased, too.

3P isn’t for everyone. It makes me giggle or exclaim “woah!” every time I drive it, though.

If you are not into performance, I don’t think you should bother. When I test drove a performance, I knew it was way quicker than my x, but it didn’t do anything dramatic for me since I am used to the tesla torque. The performance just has more of the same, which is nice, but you are not going to notice once you are used to it. With that said, I am still ordering a performance because I plan to track the car.

Reactions: AhwatukeeDad
Huh? There’s precisely zero competition between the LR RWD and 3P at 30-70 or 20-50. Not sure why you think they’re similar? And with the new Track Mode features you can make the 3P really read-wheel drive biased, too.

3P isn’t for everyone. It makes me giggle or exclaim “woah!” every time I drive it, though.
It’s like the base 3 series vs the M3. That’s about the difference between a RWD vs Performance.

• Disagree
Reactions: remlemasi
I have both. My wife predominately drives the RWD and I drive the P... but last week I drove the RWD exclusively.

I love the feel and handling of RWD vs AWD. It is very fun to drive. That said, the difference in acceleration is noticeable. The RWD is a very fast car. The P? Another plane. It depends on how much you need or would use that last half inch of go pedal.

Same, we have both. LR RWD.... love the handling (light), comfort and range (and it is fast). The P is just stupid fast (on all levels), love it too.

Careful how loud you announce that. Daddy could take away your extras with a couple keystrokes. :p

I called Tesla to ask about that specifically and they assured me Tesla would not remove any features that were originally purchased with the car. I mentioned the recent case where they did do that to a guy that bought a used Tesla, but she said she had never heard of Tesla doing such a thing. Guess I'm rolling the dice, but we'll see how it all plays out once I get my car.

Thanks for this! I need to find one to drive

Check on Turo. You can download the app on your phone or go to the web page on a computer. I rented a M3P+ for a day before I bought mine. It was nice to drive on for a full day as compared to the 15min demo ride you get from a show room. Well worth the money to rent one just to make sure it's the car you want.

I called Tesla to ask about that specifically and they assured me Tesla would not remove any features that were originally purchased with the car. I mentioned the recent case where they did do that to a guy that bought a used Tesla, but she said she had never heard of Tesla doing such a thing. Guess I'm rolling the dice, but we'll see how it all plays out once I get my car.

Tesla can only remove SW features if ownership of the car passes back to them- which it did in the case you're talking about (though they failed to push the removal update before it went to auction, causing a comedy of errors)