Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would anyone want Performance 20" Wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am considering getting the model 3 with performance upgrades since it is the same price right now without the upgrades. A very stressful decision but just curious if anyone here is actually hoping to get the new M3 performance wheels.

I get mixed answers as to if the wheels can fit on the standard model 3 or not but I think they only fit on the performance model 3, not the other trims due to something about the hub being machined out in a particular way unique to the performance. Can anyone elaborate on this?

Anyway, just let me know if you're interested. Just curious what the market is even like and I figure here and or eBay are the best places to post such a thing.

Also would like to hear where you'd suggest posting the ads when the time comes. I would sell the tires and wheels together most likely and keep the TPMS sensors if the wheels I am getting are compatible with them.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
The Performance wheels, with an extra area milled out will fit on any Model 3 (a few people on these forums have done it). But only Performance wheels fit on a Performance car with the brake upgrade because of the special hub. I don't know why Tesla doesn't just mill out part of all of their wheels so every wheel fits every car...

The 20" wheels: look good, handle sharper (less sidewall to flex).

18" wheels, with the same tires, are generally cheaper for the wheels (if/when you ever replace them - it's hard to sell a 20" set for more than it costs for a new quality 18" set), cheaper for replacement tires, are lighter (so slightly more efficient and quicker), and less likely to get cracked (although the only wheel I've had crack was 18"). They also tend to ride a little more comfortably (more sidewall to flex).

All the differences are really pretty minor, though. You can notice if you drive back-to-back and are looking for differences, but after a while it's hard to tell.

I've sold some on Craigslist fairly easily. I kept the TPMS with the wheels/tires though; in addition to you not having to take them apart, the buyer doesn't have to acquire TPMS and take them apart again. Places like TSportline and Tirerack will ship you a wheel/tire set with TPMS already installed.

Good luck.

Reactions: mswlogo
Also would like to hear where you'd suggest posting the ads when the time comes. I would sell the tires and wheels together most likely and keep the TPMS sensors if the wheels I am getting are compatible with them.

I sold mine on Craigslist in about 3 days for $2750 (but this was a year ago or so) with about 1000 miles on the tires. Many people are wary of buying the stock 20" because of the propensity for damage, though.

So why aren't the 19s more popular? They look like the 20s, but are less prone to damage ....?

That's what I put (19" OEM) on my Performance Stealth (but they should fit the P+ as well).
Ran Pirelli P7+ tires on them. They were as efficient as 18" OEM with Primacy and Aero Covers and they looked as nice as 20" OEM (to me).
I got 230 wh/mi in the summer over 4000 miles. They were quieter than Primacy too. And no stink'n foam.

47953530547_e211dc2d71_h_d.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Love
Reactions: dmurphy and JBT66
The Performance wheels, with an extra area milled out will fit on any Model 3 (a few people on these forums have done it). But only Performance wheels fit on a Performance car with the brake upgrade because of the special hub. I don't know why Tesla doesn't just mill out part of all of their wheels so every wheel fits every car...

The 20" wheels: look good, handle sharper (less sidewall to flex).

18" wheels, with the same tires, are generally cheaper for the wheels (if/when you ever replace them - it's hard to sell a 20" set for more than it costs for a new quality 18" set), cheaper for replacement tires, are lighter (so slightly more efficient and quicker), and less likely to get cracked (although the only wheel I've had crack was 18"). They also tend to ride a little more comfortably (more sidewall to flex).

All the differences are really pretty minor, though. You can notice if you drive back-to-back and are looking for differences, but after a while it's hard to tell.

I've sold some on Craigslist fairly easily. I kept the TPMS with the wheels/tires though; in addition to you not having to take them apart, the buyer doesn't have to acquire TPMS and take them apart again. Places like TSportline and Tirerack will ship you a wheel/tire set with TPMS already installed.

Good luck.
Ah, maybe I just keep the sensors in with the sale then. Good thinking!

I think if I get around or over 2k for the wheels/tires, I'd be satisfied enough.

But 20" 3P+ wheels don't fit the other models (e.g. a 3P-), still, without milling the wheels?

There were 2 problems:

The P+ rotors which were thinner had a ring/hub that protruded out further. Which only the 20" wheels were milled out for.
Early Model 3 needed some links changed to fit 20" wheels. Later Model 3's I believe have those links.

As far as I know any (recent made) 19" or 20" OEM will fit any (recent build) Model 3.

I also think they tweaked offsets as well.

Do your own diligence if your seriously pairing something not normally shipped from Tesla, because things change quick.

There were 2 problems:

The P+ rotors which were thinner had a ring/hub that protruded out further. Which only the 20" wheels were milled out for.
Early Model 3 needed some links changed to fit 20" wheels. Later Model 3's I believe have those links.

As far as I know any (recent made) 19" or 20" OEM will fit any (recent build) Model 3.

I also think they tweaked offsets as well.

Do your own diligence if your seriously pairing something not normally shipped from Tesla, because things change quick.

How come Tesla has a winter set of 20s where they say they're only for the 3P+?

Model 3 20" Sport Wheel and Winter Tire Package

19's look absolutely fine to me. 19's sure beat bent 20's.

True. There aren't any 20" OEM Tesla wheels on the road anymore. They're all bent. All of them.

How come Tesla has a winter set of 20s where they say they're only for the 3P+?

Model 3 20" Sport Wheel and Winter Tire Package

How come Tesla sells these 20s that are ONLY for non performance. They have had them forever. Always in stock too ;)

Model 3 20" Sport Wheel and Tire Package

Note: That the suspension tweak in this package was supposedly only needed for early Model 3. The suspension tweak was also pretty minor.

The 19" vs 20" image posted a few back by @Adam3 shows you can put 20" on a Non P+ car (No red caliper's on either car).

Last edited: