Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would I be a moron to not buy new at this point?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was originally looking for a used M3P with FSD. Was set to buy a 2020 and changed my mind and started looking at LRs instead.

Have a guy selling his 2022 Gray with aftermarket wheels and tires and also the silverish stock wheels and tires with 6,600 miles for $45k out the door (tax included). It appears to have USS.

With the new $7500 for all M3s I can get a white one with the 19” wheels for $46,200 OTD (well I guess it’s not really OTD as that includes the tax credit). Does the tax credit, if you are under the limits, basically guarantee you get that much back?

Anywho, should I even be considering the 2022 at this point? It’s in perfect condition.

Attachments

• IMG_2254.jpeg
    IMG_2254.jpeg
    38.2 KB · Views: 179
Provided your AGI is below the limit, the vechile doesn't exceed the MSRP limit, and you have that much taxable income, then yes you are guaranteed the tax credit.

Given that all batteries age with time, I'd be looking at new, unless you can find a really good deal on a used one.

In a word, and respectfully with humour - YES! 😀. Buy new. The cost diff is small enough AND you get the full warranty. My concern has alway been about what was “done” to that used car. there was a thread about a person who bought a used M3P to find out that the previous owner had mooted the speakers and they were now faced with trying to find proper harnesses and connectors to make the in-car entertainment system, work properly.

This way, if something goes wrong, it’s Tesla’s problem, not yours.

Also, note that some Model 3's are only eligible for a $3,750 tax credit (including the LR). A Model Y-LR is actually a better deal than a Model 3-LR with the tax credit factored in. Bottom line, pay attention to the details when making the purchase decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: bhzmark and WyoDude
I looked at used first too, but ultimately decided on new. A brand new M3P worked out to ~$48k which was very similar to used ones with a lot less warranty left in both mileage and years.

Some of the used model DO have FSD, so if you're looking for that, used may indeed be the way to go. Personally, I love driving (which is why I want an M3P) so that didnt factor into my decision at all.

Last edited:
That contradicts with the eligibility information I posted in the links prior. Therefore, I'd rely on what is posted on the IRS website, which is what I linked to.
I wonder if they transitioned where their batteries were sourced for that model? Tesla's site used to say $3750 and now says $7500.

I agree that its a bit of a gamble though.... the IRS could update their site to reflect the change, but then again, they might not. If you can really get $7500 back off the RWD version, thats a steal for an EV!

Used cars are still overpriced. Best strategy is to buy new and sell it immediately for a huge profit. Then use that profit to buy an even better new car and retire on your own private island with the leftover money.

You'll be getting the last of the Gen1 body style if you buy now, but with the LRAWD starting at $41,130 ($47,240 + $1390 - $7500) it's an incredible bargain. Or if you can be a little more flexible on price and timing, hold out 'till August-ish to place your order for a winter delivery of the "Higland" refresh. It won't have stalks or USS, but it will have better cameras and computers among other things.

Don't pay anything for FSD, it's of no value yet.

If you're not fond of the factory wheel options but don't want to drown in the sea of aftermarket options only to end up with the same ill-fitting Forgestar F14's that every kid puts on his mom's hand-me-down Camry, check out some of the Tesla-spec alternatives like Martian or TSportline. Your local tire shop will slap them on for $100 and you can sell the OEMs on the forum here.

Reactions: Deaf Paul