Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy a 2014 Model S P85D now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is a Grey on Tan. It appears to have autopilot h/w atleast based on the front wheel arches where the sensors are present. I'm waiting on their shop to open to get some more info.

Another good point raised was the importance of mileage. There are a few P85D's on Tesla CPO which are a little more than this but have higher mileage(relatively - say about 30 - 40k) but how much of a factor would that be in comparision to CPO warranty? Also, buying a CPO, i know its not the same warranty as a new car but how less does it cover or what do they omit?

Anyone know of any 3rd party warranty providers for Tesla they've used.

The biggest difference between P85Ds that you could choose from are ones made up until April 2015 and ones after. They dropped the plus suspension after April making the car bearable. Don't get me wrong. I like a stiff performance minded suspension. I always ordered Z51 on my corvettes because I liked a tuned suspension that handles well in the corners. But the suspension on the P85Ds April and before is just WAY too stiff for the street. If I had to do it over again, I would have waited if I'd known and gotten the non plus suspension.

Not to be confused with the P85+ who's plus suspension was just right and not too stiff for street driving. The suspension on the P85D after they dropped the + was more like the P85+.

You really should drive it first before you decide, as others have said.

I absolutely agree anybody buying a Plus Suspension P85D should drive it AND a NON-Plus Suspension P85D before they buy one. Ride comfort and handling are a personal preference... which is why Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Audi, etc. make both standard and Performance versions of their sedans.

IMHO the handling of the Plus Suspension on our "unicorn" March 2015 build P85DL+ with 21" Arachnids and Michelin PSS tires is exactly how it should be on a Performance car. I've driven a P100DL on a 12-hour Tesla "Extended Test Drive" with the current standard suspension and found it too soft for my taste... More like a standard (non-AMG) Mercedes S class, Audi (non-R), or BMW (non-M) 7 series sedan.

As a point of reference, my previous car was a 2006 Corvette Z06. It was literally a "street legal track car": 427 cu. in. / 505 hp / 3,100 lb. / 200 mph with huge tires (same as a Dodge Viper). The C6 Z06 had a firmer suspension than stock and Z51 350 cu. in. Corvettes, much sharper handling, and significantly lower track times than than the Corvettes with the Z51 suspension. This was because the Z06 had significantly higher horsepower, massively higher torque, much wider tires = better handling... yet still weighed less than the slower Z51 Corvettes. Chevy built the Z06 with a plethora of lightweight racing components vs. the Z51 (hydroformed aluminum frame, carbon fiber body, composite roof, etc.). The Z06 was an absolute blast to drive... but a handful since it was super lightweight and had SO much power & torque driving only the rear axle. Avoided driving it in any significant rain since it would hydroplane at 45 mph. Best thing I did was take a 3 day high speed driving class at Spring Mountain Motorsports track outside of Las Vegas... and drove at several "High Performance Driving Events" during their annual Corvette Track Days. Too much fun.

Best part is our P85DL+ replaced both my Corvette Z06 and our AWD Jeep Grand Cherokee. Don't miss either of these vehicles. Our "unicorn" P85DL+ is that good!

YMMV

It is a Grey on Tan. It appears to have autopilot h/w atleast based on the front wheel arches where the sensors are present. I'm waiting on their shop to open to get some more info.

Another good point raised was the importance of mileage. There are a few P85D's on Tesla CPO which are a little more than this but have higher mileage(relatively - say about 30 - 40k) but how much of a factor would that be in comparision to CPO warranty? Also, buying a CPO, i know its not the same warranty as a new car but how less does it cover or what do they omit?

cpo warranty is the same as the one that comes with the car as new

i would say this color combo is less popular

one key thing i dont think most think of when buying a low mileage car is that the car hasnt been "broken in" yet, what i mean by that is, a lot of higher mileage cars with warranty intact have had drive units/door handles/mcu replaced. so keep that in mind that this car probably has had nothing replaced and you only have warranty for about half a year left?

Reactions: saniflash
I absolutely agree anybody buying a Plus Suspension P85D should drive it AND a NON-Plus Suspension P85D before they buy one. Ride comfort and handling are a personal preference... which is why Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Audi, etc. make both standard and Performance versions of their sedans.

IMHO the handling of the Plus Suspension on our "unicorn" March 2015 build P85DL+ with 21" Arachnids and Michelin PSS tires is exactly how it should be on a Performance car. I've driven a P100DL on a 12-hour Tesla "Extended Test Drive" with the current standard suspension and found it too soft for my taste... More like a standard (non-AMG) Mercedes S class, Audi (non-R), or BMW (non-M) 7 series sedan.

Best part is our P85DL+ replaced both my Corvette Z06 and our AWD Jeep Grand Cherokee. Don't miss either of these vehicles. Our "unicorn" P85DL+ is that good!

YMMV

I agree completely. My previous car to my Tesla was a BMW M3. LOVED the way that car handled. Never found the ride to be "too stiff." My Tesla is a P85D with the plus suspension, and I would never want it to be any softer. The car is not nearly as "tossable" as my M3 was, it is a MUCH bigger and heavier sedan. But, it does handle remarkably well, and is still very fun to drive in the corners! Have never found the ride to be too stiff at all, and my wife who has zero interest in spirited driving did not complain once about the ride quality on our family trip in it from WI to FL and back..

Last edited:
Reactions: BrokerDon
My P85D will tend to slide off of bumps around corners where the loaner P85+'s never did because the compression and rebound rates were both too fast to allow the the wheel to travel over the bump. Great for the the track but too much for the street.

Also, having 56K miles on my P85D now, I have a million squeaks and rattles that don't exist on the few older loaners I've had with similar miles. The suspension is shaking the inside of the car loose.

• Informative
Reactions: Electricious
Meh. Depends on your other options.

I currently have a P85D loaner while my car is in service getting fixed up.

It’s crazy quick, love the quickness. But I like that my car would be EAP/FSD capable. Something I would use more than Insane Mode.

I honestly would wait for a performance Model 3. For almost $70K you could get a up to date car with the latest and greatest + maybe insane/ludicrous mode + EAP/FSD capability in the future. Much better value for the buck than getting an older vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: Electricious

It’s crazy quick, love the quickness. But I like that my car would be EAP/FSD capable. Something I would use more than Insane Mode.

I honestly would wait for a performance Model 3. For almost $70K you could get a up to date car with the latest and greatest + maybe insane/ludicrous mode + EAP/FSD capability in the future. Much better value for the buck than getting an older vehicle.
Meh that. I have a family to drive around and having an effective car to do that while not compromising one bit on the other times where I just want to enjoy a fast car with awesome handling that is the true combination for me.

The newer car doesn’t move me much, and the EAD or FSD are not that impressive tbh as it stands, and that comes from someone who’s last 5 car purchases were brand new cars prior to the MS.

MS buyers generally weigh buying against facelifted MSes vs M3. Two very different cars intended for very different segments/uses.
Remember that Tesla’s whole process revolves around updating hardware/parts as they go along vs having model-year runs. What would “latest and greatest” on an M3 get you? New firmware, suspension, or wipers? Certainly not an IC or spacious cargo area. :) Obviously the biggie hardware upgrade is AP2+ with the multiple cameras vs AP1. OP could easily get that with a refreshed MS if that was high on his/her priority list.
Still say this is a great buy if the car checks out. And I’m not just saying that because I’m partial to P85D+ cars either!

Meh that. I have a family to drive around and having an effective car to do that while not compromising one bit on the other times where I just want to enjoy a fast car with awesome handling that is the true combination for me.

The newer car doesn’t move me much, and the EAD or FSD are not that impressive tbh as it stands, and that comes from someone who’s last 5 car purchases were brand new cars prior to the MS.

EAP and FSD haven’t been released yet. How can you say it’s not that impressive when it doesn’t even exist yet to form an opinion? :confused:

EAP and FSD haven’t been released yet. How can you say it’s not that impressive when it doesn’t even exist yet to form an opinion? :confused:
FSD, with the F emphasized, is many, many years away, and not just for Tesla. If we could segregate FSD cars from human-controlled ones, it would certainly speed things up, but until that happens, full L5 cars on public roads are wayyyy out.
Anyway, went off-topic enough already. It’s not a MS vs M3 or EAP/FSD thread. Sorry, OP...

CPO warranty is the same as a new car.
I don't know of any 3rd party warranty that covers Tesla.
I don't believe the original warranty transfers over when you purchase from a dealer, only from a private sale.

Https://carmax.com/car/15734210

This was from CarMax put on hold and the sales person I spoke said that the previous holder did not show up for two appointments so it was taken off his name and he woukd reserve on mine.
This was Sunday and hence the reason I started the thread. I reached out to him Monday by text and called him but no answer.
I call up today and speak to a different person and inquire my hold status and the whereabouts of this sales person and he tries to look up my hold and does not see anything on my name and looks up the car to see that it was sold yesterday evening. I was pissed and demanded what happened to and why was my spot not held. He said he would find out and get in touch. FML.

Looking to buy a Tesla and my earlier order of the M3 got delayed which i mentioned in a different thread.
So, looking around, i was talking to a forum member who has listed a P85D for sale and while scouting the market, came across a 2014 P85D with only10k miles from a dealer. Per Autocheck, it shows up as a Jan 2015 registered car, and the VIN is in the 66k range. Based on VIN ranges users have posted, it appears to be a 2014 Dec build.

The listing on the car is not the best and i still am trying to gather all the options it has. The price was what got me interested at 69k. Car interior looks pristine and has the sport seats, staggered 21" and i am assuming the + suspension and 'Insane' mode.

With that being said, what do you guys think? Is this a good buy at this time?
Absolutely! The P85D is a rocket ship, and looks beautiful as well.

We bought our 2011 Toyota Prius Four with Solar Package from CarMax Irvine after seeing it online and putting in on hold online. We then paid CarMax to transfer it from Fresno to Irvine CA to see it in person. Car was immaculate, super low miles, great price, fully loaded. Bought it right away.

Why wouldn't you just use CarMax's online Free Hold instead of talking to some CarMax sales guy ???

Place Free Hold
Have this car reserved in one click
  • Hold for up to 7 days
  • No deposit or credit card needed
  • Easiest way to see the car

Last edited:
Pricing reference point: just saw a local, private party ad for a ‘14 P85D (CPO purchase) with 42k miles and most options (AP1, 21s, Red calipers, UHFS, Sub Zero) for $81.5k FIRM. So, things are heating up across the board.

There are a whole lot on Tesla's site in the 60's, and they're dropping prices daily
CPO.JPG