Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would You Buy a New Model S Today?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
8 years later and the Model S is still a beta test mule of loosely machined and assembled parts transported from the future through a time portal. Like an economy car from 2030 that is still in development.

You’d think after all that time, they would figure out all the bugs... I personally have been longing for a boring and reliable luxury car with good NVH characteristics. My plan is to sound deaden a Nissan Leaf, which has much better reliability and comfort. Just get the HV battery replaced every 8 years, 12v batt, tires, and your set.

I won’t be paying $80k to subscribe to these outdated beta test mules.

Last edited:
I ordered a brand-new Model S Long Range Plus yesterday, a half-hour before Elon and Tesla announced the new EPA rating of 402 miles. A nice surprise, that.

My current Model S is 6.9 years old, has 119600+ miles on it, and is, well, really old. Long past the full warranty, and approaching the end of the 8-year unlimited mileage warranty on the battery and drivetrain.

So, the clock's been ticking. And I live in a state with no service centers (thanks, car dealers!). I needed to do something, and this week I did something. 402 miles is awesome, coming from a car with a 90% charge of 221 miles and a severely-reduced charging rate (meaning, long trips take FOREVER to get from A to B). It means I can drive out of state again. And I look forward to that.

So yes, I bought another S, I didn't wait for million-mile battery (I plan to sell this S when my CyberTruck order is ready), and I can't WAIT to drive in new seats, with updated hardware, bigger battery, WAY FASTER speed, etc.

(Note I didn't say anything about FSD -- I could care less about FSD. I know, heresy in TMC-ville, but whatever.)

8 years later and the Model S is still a beta test mule of loosely machined and assembled parts transported from the future through a time portal. Like an economy car from 2030 that is still in development.
You’d think after all that time, they would figure out all the bugs... I personally have been longing for a boring and reliable luxury car with good NVH characteristics. My plan is to sound deaden a Nissan Leaf, which has much better reliability and comfort. Just get the HV battery replaced every 8 years, 12v batt, tires, and your set.
My Dual Motor S is reliable, quiet and very well put-together. And stunningly quick when required. Sorry you have had such a bad experience.

Reactions: SilverGS and SO16

In 110,000 miles, my Model S has cost me exactly $338 in repairs. Bummer your experience has been so bad.

I have 84k miles and am up to $1000 in repairs. Not bad really. Still quiet smooth and mostly rattle free.

Having drive a Leaf for 3 years, I can't imagine going back. Not a bad car but clearly an economy car. You can sound deaden it but that won't fix most of its issues. Make the doors a bit heavier for sure. But you can't give it better acceleration. You might improve the handling a bit. But the ride on rougher roads definitely challenges the suspension. Oh - that stereo will need some work. And then at some point, you might want to use nav and that is just awful. But you can tape an Ipad to the dash....

you might want to use nav and that is just awful.
same on my Zoe. Although tbh, with a summer real range of nearly 200 miles I actually love the Zoe as a transport proposition. Practical, quiet, (mine was) inexpensive. But the nav system absolutely is the worst. That alone is justification to take this MS if you are doing a trip that requires GPS.

In 110,000 miles, my Model S has cost me exactly $338 in repairs. Bummer your experience has been so bad.
This sound exactly like Hyundai owners in the 80's and 90's, some got an amazing deal getting a cheap car which worked forever, while most got a car which spent more time in service than on the road. I remember Consumer Reports back in those days actually found a correlation between quality and day of the week the car was produced (spoiler, cars made on Mondays and Fridays were the worst). The difference was that Hyundai was a "cheap" brand back then, Tesla on the other hand is not, but their production quality seem to be just as inconsistent. Hyundai service back then was better than Tesla though, you got same or better car as a loaner every time for one.
I bought 4 Model S, all 4 required multiple visits to service in the first few months. The current ones are holding up ok, assuming you're willing to fix your own issues, such as doing things like this by yourself (this was me fixing my MCU, the other option was to pay between $2,500 and $3,600 for Tesla to do it with a refurb which would have had a way worse emmc chip):
Tesla-MCU-fixing2.jpg

As an owner of a “paid for” 2013 P85+, I just can’t bring myself to get a new S. Dropping that kind of coin for a car that is at least 80% the same car day in and day out (based on the various newer loaners I’ve had) as the one I’m driving now is just a step too far.
Generally agreed, and why I worded my response to say I’d buy another “if I had to”.

Thankfully I don’t, and while there have certainly been some amazing improvements in the last few years, particularly when pricing is factored in, nothing makes me want to spend the money to “upgrade”.

Reactions: 2101Guy
I always back into tight spots for this reason, the mirrors and camera make it easy. but if you can't it's quite annoying. A front camera would be great

I do back in also and have zero issues between the rear view mirrors and the back up camera. My problem is the front right corner when there is a curving ramp with a curb along the side, as they have in most parking garages around here.

It just plain sucks they don;t have any 360 view option for such a wide car. I really hope they can do something with software for some sort of augmented view.

What's worse is that the ultrasonics stop counting down after 12 inches. I drive a bunch of places where the amount of clearance I have is less than 12 inches so the ultrasonics are USELESS and just scream STOP.

If the ultrasonics could go down to 8 inches that would be so useful. I deal with that amount of clearance daily and causes me so much stress.

My plan is to sound deaden a Nissan Leaf, which has much better reliability and comfort
I certainly think my S is much more comfortable than my LEAF ever was. The dated electronics and controls in the LEAF (circa 2010 at best) were a pain. Checking remotely for battery charge or starting the HVAC remotely was hit or miss (usually miss) every time. In fact, the TCU for remote access was one of the causes of killing the 12V battery. The LEAF was a nice car to drive around town, and my ownership of it and the S overlapped by a year and a half. But driving the S was way more enjoyable. (and the fact that I could reliably take the S out of town mattered)

As an owner of a “paid for” 2013 P85+, I just can’t bring myself to get a new S. Dropping that kind of coin for a car that is at least 80% the same car day in and day out (based on the various newer loaners I’ve had) as the one I’m driving now is just a step too far.

Another option might be to pick up a used Model S. I mean you ARE driving a used Tesla now...maybe pick up a 2018 Model S. In day-to-day driving the primary item you are giving up would be the Raven adaptive suspension.

Glad to see you and others are sharing my thoughts.

I've enjoyed the car those last 5 years and it is still performing great daily.
It has features I'd really miss:

- the larger frunk: big bonus when travelling with the family: no need for a rooftop box anymore
- the sunroof: cruising slowly in the forest and enjoying the nature
- the driving dynamic of the rear wheel drive
- the silver color

I'll hold on to it until I have to change.

But so to the OP's question: if I have to change, definitely, the new S is to me an excellent value proposition:
- +30% range
- 200kW SuC speed
- MCU2
- AP3
- Full option now (back then, you had to pay for climate pack, tech pack for nav, premium interior, ...)
- Even USB ports & Cupholders in the back now :eek:

And all the above for a lower price than 5 years back :)

Yeesh. If the Tesla Model S is an outdated test mule, I don’t even know how I’d describe the other manufacturers. I’ll take my “ass” any day. Love driving the model S. In fact I’m on a road trip with it right now. Sure wouldn’t be doing this with a leaf!

This sound exactly like Hyundai owners in the 80's and 90's, some got an amazing deal getting a cheap car which worked forever, while most got a car which spent more time in service than on the road. I remember Consumer Reports back in those days actually found a correlation between quality and day of the week the car was produced (spoiler, cars made on Mondays and Fridays were the worst). The difference was that Hyundai was a "cheap" brand back then, Tesla on the other hand is not, but their production quality seem to be just as inconsistent. Hyundai service back then was better than Tesla though, you got same or better car as a loaner every time for one.
I bought 4 Model S, all 4 required multiple visits to service in the first few months. The current ones are holding up ok, assuming you're willing to fix your own issues, such as doing things like this by yourself (this was me fixing my MCU, the other option was to pay between $2,500 and $3,600 for Tesla to do it with a refurb which would have had a way worse emmc chip):
View attachment 552572
So despite the numerous issues (and I'm not by any stretch of the imagination saying otherwise), you bought 4 Model S's? That tells a different story to the casual reader like me.

There must be more here that I don't get. I know for certain I would never buy the same car if all I had were problems with the car. Please enlighten us.

To the OP's question, I would buy another Model S when the time comes to replace it (for a multitude of reasons - too many to list).

As the proud owner of a 106k mile 2015 S 85D since new, I am planning on keeping it, maintaining it, and driving it until repair costs become unjustifiable. Don't get me wrong, I find myself configuring Taycans and new Tesla models online all the time, but the cost of getting into something new with upgraded features doesn't make any financial sense, especially taking my wants and needs into account.

What I already have and want:
-fast and smooth highway cruiser that absolutely devours the miles on my 100 mile daily commute
-AP1 (more than good enough for me)
-more than enough range for my daily needs (currently 251 rated miles at 100%)
-FUSC and lifetime connectivity
-8 yr unlimited mileage battery/motor warranty

What new models offer:
-AP2, AP3, FSD, sentry mode, etc -- but no FUSC or lifetime connectivity, and no unlimited mileage warranty
-quicker acceleration, more range, faster SC charging
-Raven suspension
-better build quality (debatable)
-Taycan: nicer interior and better handling (but plenty of drawbacks too, including $$$)

None of the new features is worth trading in my car for $25-30k and paying the difference to upgrade, at least to me. Having paid off the car after 3 years, every day since has felt like a bonus. If I have to budget $5k a year for tires and upkeep, I will still be in EV heaven.

BUT -- to answer the original questions, if I could not keep my current car, I would absolutely buy a new Model S today. It might be an aging design on the surface but nothing else comes close to its capabilities for $75k. Being an aging design also means all the common problems (MCU, door handles, 12v battery) are well known and easily addressed. All the 3 vs S debate issues have been well documented so I won't rehash them, but many of them are subjective so it's ultimately your preference. I prefer the smoother ride, dual displays, control stalk operations, looks, and relative exclusivity of the S.

(And if I couldn't buy a new S, I would absolutely buy a new 3)

The last issue is Service Center competency. I have nothing useful to add on that one, unfortunately.

I have had an S, and X and now a 3. In my opinion, the S is the best of the bunch. I haven't driven a Y (or seen one in-person) but the plan has been to trade our 3 for a Y in the fall. I was leaning-towards the Performance Y which is $61K. With the recent price drop and range increase on the S (not to mention raven suspension), I'm starting to think about getting another S instead of Y-P. The extra $14K seems worth it for a MUCH better car in my opinion. My S was a 2014 so it's crazy to think I'd get the same car (at least in looks) six years later but I think the S has aged well and still looks great. The decision will ultimately be up to my wife and she liked the S the best as well so I have a feeling we will end-up with a new S.

I don’t own a Tesla, but keep looking and to me the Model S is Tesla’s best looking car. A classic and really like the interior too. Is the car I keep holding out for. Was close to getting a Model 3, but would be disappointed I did not have a Model S. :)

Reactions: gavine
So despite the numerous issues (and I'm not by any stretch of the imagination saying otherwise), you bought 4 Model S's? That tells a different story to the casual reader like me.

There must be more here that I don't get. I know for certain I would never buy the same car if all I had were problems with the car. Please enlighten us.

To the OP's question, I would buy another Model S when the time comes to replace it (for a multitude of reasons - too many to list).

Not the person you're quoting, but there was a time I would have bought another S, feeling "equipped" to handle the issues. But its gotten to the point where even Tesla themselves are silent to your cries for help. My personal "Straw" was when my 12v was failing, and I went to the local SVC (brand new, these guys were still green and willing to talk to people haha) and I was told:

"sorry we dont have any, i've got 4 or 5 cars out back that need them as well, if your battery dies you'll just need to get it towed here and wait"

And because Tesla chose a VERY specific proprietary battery design, there were no aftermarket replacements that werent that custom LiPO one for 600 dollars (oMg WhY wOuLdn'T yOu BuY tHaT?!?! ItS sO GoOD!).

More fun non-koolaid for you folks who haven't had the pleasure yet:

• They shut off VPN and moved to websocket, punishing folks like me who rooted to fix their own issues they wanted to charge 4K+ for every time it fails, without admitting any fault or design flaw.
  • Screens that leak, we thought it was isolated to 2012-2015 but it appears newer cars still have the issue
  • COST TO REPAIR
  • Time to repair
  • They limited charging speeds to protect my battery, aka: we dont want to honor the warranty we promised you, so we're gonna throttle this back some incase they degrade and fail before your 8 years is up
  • Rear axle clicking, back when we had to BEG service techs to do a ride along and listen
  • Door handle failures, constantly. I've had 6 personally.
  • Camber issues with the rear being nonadjustable, car eats through tires. Fixed on later models
  • Fit and finish issues. Bad ones. Huge panel gaps, remember when the X's doors would fold onto the car and break themselves?
  • Can't get ahold of a person, and when you do, the chances of them having any real authority are low
  • (im reaching now, ill stop)
Some of you may have had stellar experiences, and I'm happy you have had them. I'm on several other enthusiast forums, more as an observer for my various vehicles, and I will say I feel like the "issues" of other vehicles are more well known, methodical, and more well addressed to the fraction of the population they affect. With Tesla, they are nothing if not consistent. Consistently unable to pick up the phone, consistently unable to deliver on a timeline, consistently leaving owners out to dry. It's really unfortunate.

I love the idea of the car, I love the car most days, I can't stand the company.