Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you download software just before a long trip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EVer Hopeful

Jul 7, 2021
Texas
We're heading off on our third longish (ie, I'd better find a supercharger somewhere!) voyage, but I just got a notification of an available download

Seems like an unnecessary risk to actually grab it right before the trip, but then again, downloads are usually full of "improvements"

What would you lot do?

No. If your software now works do not update with beta software before a trip. There's already been issues with inability to unlock doors to charging to engage.

Update (if you want) after your trip. No point in added more risk on the road.

No, unless I was ok with the possibility of a long delay if anything unexpected happens. I was away on a roadtrip when the V11 update rolled out. I didn't do it until I got home. It's just a risk management thing - some folks will be comfortable enough with possibility of issues, and others (me included) would rather not tempt fate, and wait a little.

I installed it on Dec 24th at my SIL/Dau home during our Christmas vacation 1100 miles from home. I wish I had waited until I got home. Never again. Oh and we just got home and V11 is buggy as hell and our screen went dark for 20 minutes at 75 mph in heavy traffic and rain. I hope tesla is getting an ear full....