Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you pay $2000 to go from 4.4 to 3.9 on a Leased car?

Do I upgrade to 3.9sec?

• I would. I look for every opportunity to put the pedal to the metal.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I would not. 4.4 sec is plenty quick.

Votes: 42 46.7%
  • Have you maxed IRA investment for the year?

Votes: 14 15.6%
  • You will only get more speeding tickets.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • That's the only way to get closer to the Performance model.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • This is your Porsche. Do it!

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • What are you waiting for?!

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • What else can you do with $2000 and have more fun?

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • Coke and hookers are illegal.

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • You live only once.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SlimJim

Jul 25, 2019
USA
I just picked up a new LR AWD. It is noticeably quicker than my previous SR/SR+. I upgraded for the acceleration mainly. Longer range and AWD are bonus.
I leased this LR AWD.
Do I pay $2000 and upgrade to 3.9sec or not? If I had purchased the car, it would be a nobrainer. But $2000 for three years of fun?

The 4.4/3.9 difference isn't huge. If speed is the kick, then a 3P is a better choice, better matched parts it seems. If you have the money, it's all good. My Midrange RWD is plenty fast enough for me. And less power-hungry. Now if you don't mind the money on energy, why stop there? But what I need is stress reduction, not adrenalin pumping.

Consider amortization. 3 years equals 1095 days. $2000 divided by 1095 equals $1.83 a day. One third the price of a latte. It is noticeable and causes ear to ear grins!

Exactly.

I tried Boost a month ago, and returned it with in the 48 hr period, for time to think. I have missed it ever since, so I re-bought it two days ago. Damn happy to have it back, and yes, the difference to me is very noticeable. Haven't had this much fun with a car since my Caterham 7.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
Leased cars may be a good candidate for the plug-in dongle that Electric Garage offers for $1100. Gives the same 0-60 3.9 sec acceleration and is removable so you could sell or transfer it to another car. Still a pretty new item but should get some real customer feedback in the next week or so.

Unless of course Tesla has something in the lease agreement that modding the cars performance would be a violation of... because despite the claims of EG, Tesla absolutely could tell you did it if they wish to.

You’ve already traded in a perfectly good 3 for one, per your own admission, you leased mainly for the extra acceleration—so, my vote is “yes”—quickness seems to be a priority for you, and based on the number of leading answers in your poll, you clearly want it. The $2k I spent on our Stealth upgrade is, without exception, the best $2k I’ve ever spent....so—“What are you waiting for?”

Honestly would suggest getting a performance model 3 instead. It's an extra $4k on the lease over 3 years and brings you from 4.4s to 3.2s. The $2k only brings you from 4.4s to 3.9s, performance is a much better bang for buck.

Just ordered a model 3 long range AWD and wondering if I should change to performance as well...

I would agree with this as well however as I read the OP, it seems as though he is already in possession of the LR AWD. There is also the issue of those darn damage-prone 20” wheels on the P+ but that’s for another thread.

Honestly would suggest getting a performance model 3 instead. It's an extra $4k on the lease over 3 years and brings you from 4.4s to 3.2s. The $2k only brings you from 4.4s to 3.9s, performance is a much better bang for buck.

Just ordered a model 3 long range AWD and wondering if I should change to performance as well...

Tesla posted #s are deceptive (especially comparing a P to any non-P since they measure them differently).

Real-life the P is about 3 flat with 1 foot rollout, and the AWD with boost is 3.5

• Helpful
Tesla posted #s are deceptive (especially comparing a P to any non-P since they measure them differently).

Real-life the P is about 3 flat with 1 foot rollout, and the AWD with boost is 3.5

This is a good point, and a debate Im having to determine if the P is really worth it over the LR AWD. Some youtube videos (small sample size) show the LR AWD with acceleration boost is quite close to the performance. Additionally, C&D tested the AWD LR and got 3.9 0-60 without the upgrade. You have to wonder how much the non-performance model numbers are conservatively estimated to make the performance and even acceleration boost more appealing. The 1-foot rollout measurement makes it even more suspicious.

• Helpful
This is a good point, and a debate Im having to determine if the P is really worth it over the LR AWD. Some youtube videos (small sample size) show the LR AWD with acceleration boost is quite close to the performance. Additionally, C&D tested the AWD LR and got 3.9 0-60 without the upgrade. You have to wonder how much the non-performance model numbers are conservatively estimated to make the performance and even acceleration boost more appealing. The 1-foot rollout measurement makes it even more suspicious.

This might help you a bit in comparing things.

LRAWD2.png