Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you Purchase a model Y Again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Completely agree, the suspension has been my biggest complaint with the Y. A traditional suspension will never match the air suspension of the S or X but clearly it could be improved. I haven’t ridden in a M3 Highland but I’ve seen plenty of comments about the improved suspension and Sandy Munro was practically gushing about it. I’ve been tempted to wait for the MY Juniper that’s supposed to come out next year, since It will likely share the new suspension, however I suspect they will be removing the stalks as well and that’s a non-starter for several reasons. Even the current MY version is a significant improvement over the original.

(Start at 45 sec)

I'm another one that while generally happy with the vehicle, the suspension is just a joke. MUCH cheaper vehicles have better rides. I am waiting to see what Juniper has to offer, hannshow is currently doing some aftermarket stalks, so if that's okay, I'll think about it.

Will not stop be cross checking the competition however. Many new actually competitive vehicles being released now.

We are on our SECOND Model Y. Bought a 2020 LR DM on July 25th, 2020, and traded in on a 2022 MYP on Aug 25th, 2022. But we are now thinking of moving on. We are 72 and looking to splurge since we have opted to stay close to home and our grandkids, so we are looking at trading UP to a Model S LR later this fall when we must take our first RMD.

We did replace the 21" tires/wheels with some 18" from TSporrtLine and that changed the entire character of the car immensely, for the BETTER. The 21s serves no useful purpose on the street aside from looks, but I prefer more tire and less wheel so to my eye our Y looks better.
howQI9U.jpg

Last edited:
We are 72 and looking to splurge since we have opted to stay close to home and our grandkids, so we are looking at trading UP to a Model S LR later this fall when we must take our first RMD.
Have you tried getting in and out of the S repeatedly? The model Y is six inches higher than the S, which is something that I can appreciate.

That gets down to the real issue. Are there worthy competitors to the Model Y? I see a lot of mostly-acceptable vehicles, but I still come back to the Supercharger access issue. Most of the routes I want to travel on out of Arizona have a lot of V2 chargers, and those are definitely Tesla-only. And then we come to the 'Is the car better, or at least mostly equal' questions.
By the end of this year, most EVs will be able to use Tesla SCs.

Have you tried getting in and out of the S repeatedly? The model Y is six inches higher than the S, which is something that I can appreciate.
REPEATEDLY, no, but two of my friends own S's and I have driven them often (one is a PLAID with a YOKE). So I appreciate what you are asking. Yes the Y is EASIER but the extra 120+ miles of range, suspension, ventilated seats, etc make road-tripping so much nicer. But between now and decision time if Elon releases the new Y with these added features and increased range then the answer will be easier.

iX cons:
  • Heavy, despite advanced materials
  • Crap storage space
  • No frunk - hell, no hood; that design choice is crazy
  • Poor charge port location
  • No NACS/J3400 commitment yet
  • Few physical buttons for easy controls of things like climate and radio (it you have to explain to a passenger how to do something common, the automaker failed)
There were a lot of other cons I could post but my point is.... they all have issues, bro. I think for the price, it's not beating the X, the Rivian truck and def not the Y... not even comparable. I do wish you best of luck in your choice though.
I’m another example who made the move from a Model Y to BMW iX earlier this year. Their subsidized leases were too incredible to pass up. In general, the Model Y technology is generations ahead of BMW. But there are some tech things where BMW is ahead of Tesla. Where BMW shines is the level of drive and interior refinement. These are the everyday use areas where the iX outshines the rest.
  • Hands-free ADAS is the best of any car.
  • Gesture controls are really nice.
  • Best audio system on the planet.
  • Way better media system UI.
  • Augmented reality navigation.
  • Best head-up display I have ever seen.
  • Absolutely silent cabin.
  • Radiant heating is the best of any car.
  • Amazing handling and ride comfort - far more balanced than any other car.
  • Super lux interior.
  • Superior climate control.
  • Superior range.
  • The electrochromic roof is a cool parlor trick.
  • 4-zone climate control that back seat passengers can control.
My Model Y was perfect with no issues. It far exceeded my expectations. But, when BMW was discounting iX by 20% with high residual and low interest, I got a whole lot more car for not much money. Plus, I did not like the sport-tuned suspension of even the MYLR. I was leaning toward a Model S until I discovered the iX. The one Tesla gripe I had was how aggressively Autopilot held the wheel when I needed to do an evasive maneuver. I had a few scary moments.

I don’t think I would get another Tesla. My reasons are features I really like that don’t exist in the Tesla models I like, such as:
  • Head-up display
  • SiriusXM
  • Phone projection
  • Rear cross traffic warning
  • Blind spot warning
  • Surround view
  • Instrument cluster display (I could live without this if the car had HUD)
  • Hands-free ADAS
  • Ultra-premium audio system
  • Ventilated seats
  • Rear seat climate that passengers can coltrol

Last edited:
I’m another example who made the move from a Model Y to BMW iX earlier this year. Their subsidized leases were too incredible to pass up. In general, the Model Y technology is generations ahead of BMW. But there are some tech things where BMW is ahead of Tesla. Where BMW shines is the level of drive and interior refinement. These are the everyday use areas where the iX outshines the rest.
  • Super lux interior.
  • Superior range.
My Model Y was perfect with no issues. It far exceeded my expectations. But, when BMW was discounting iX by 20% with high residual and low interest, I got a whole lot more car for not much money. Plus, I did not like the sport-tuned suspension of even the MYLR. I was leaning toward a Model S until I discovered the iX. The one Tesla gripe I had was how aggressively Autopilot held the wheel when I needed to do an evasive maneuver. I had a few scary moments.

I don’t think I would get another Tesla. My reasons are features I really like that don’t exist in the Tesla models I like, such as:
  • Head-up display
  • SiriusXM
  • Phone projection
  • Blind spot warning
  • Surround view
  • Hands-free ADAS
  • Ventilated seats

Hard to compare a $100K EV (BMW iX) to a $50k EV (Y).
What is the amount of the subsidized lease, max miles /yr, and length of lease?

• Super lux interior.
  • Superior range.

• Head-up display
  • SiriusXM
  • Phone projection
  • Blind spot warning
  • Surround view
  • Hands-free ADAS
  • Ventilated seats
Some of those items will be resolved with the model Y refresh. A couple others can be resolved with 3rd party products.

Hard to compare a $100K EV (BMW iX) to a $50k EV (Y).
What is the amount of the subsidized lease, max miles /yr, and length of lease?
It becomes easier to compare when the costs of ownership converge. I got a 10K mile 36-month lease. The total discount off MSRP was around $20K. Interest was 1.2% before MSDs. My total lease cost over 3 years will be about $30K (including taxes)... for a $104K car. A Model Y would be a little cheaper to lease or depreciate (if owned) over 3 years, and the Model S would be more. That knocked the Model S out of consideration. Then, incremental cost-to-benefit of the iX over the Model Y became hugely worthwhile and more of a direct comparison than you would think given their vastly different MSRPs.

I dislike the Model X, so that one was never on the table.

The other car that compares surprisingly well to the Model Y is the Ioniq 5 Limited. Those have most of the upsides above for a similar cost as the MY. The only major downside to the I5 is battery size, but the cars are remarkably efficient and get close to the Model Y in range. My dad has one, and we did a lot of side-by-side with my Model Y.
Some of those items will be resolved with the model Y refresh. A couple others can be resolved with 3rd party products.
Yes, I thought about the Model Y Juniper that would probably bring seat ventilation, rear seat climate controls, and functional blind spot warnings. But I did not want to wait an undetermined number of years - seems like deliveries might start in late 2025. I was considering the Model S, because it had an instrument display, ventilated seats, and SiriusXM. I had done a bunch of aftermarket add-ons to my Model Y, but I did not see anything that would cleanly integrate and solve my gaps and preferences above.

One of the primary drivers for me was Model Y suspension tuning. I like softer sedan rides that balance handling and compliance. The Model S checks that box, but the Model Y probably never will. However, the iX is so much more car, for less cost than the Model S, that it does not make sense.

Last edited:
But I did not want to wait an undetermined number of years - seems like deliveries might start in late 2025.
Fair assessment.

“One of the primary drivers for me was Model Y suspension tuning. I like softer sedan rides that balance handling and compliance. The Model S checks that box, but the Model Y probably never will.”

You should try the model 3 highland. I was very surprised how smooth that was. And I have air in my model S. If they can get the Y to feel like that, no need for air suspension.

Fair assessment.

“One of the primary drivers for me was Model Y suspension tuning. I like softer sedan rides that balance handling and compliance. The Model S checks that box, but the Model Y probably never will.”

You should try the model 3 highland. I was very surprised how smooth that was. And I have air in my model S. If they can get the Y to feel like that, no need for air suspension.
I am curious about the M3 Highland and its suspension changes that the MY may inherit. (I cannot say "improvements," because there are a ton of people who love the MY's sport suspension tuning.)

The OP question above was "would you purchase again?" I was answering that question with probably not. I will have the iX for 3 years, and then will need to make a decision: keep the iX or get another car. I do not have much brand loyalty, so I am open to the best car and deal in 2026. There is no universe where I would get a $100K car unless was steeply discounted. I will definitely give the Model Y Juniper a look - it should be in its 2nd year by then. But I am curious if Tesla will add any more features to catch-up with the market. To me, these will be major feature gaps in 2026:
  • Hands-free ADAS (GM, Ford, and BMW are there now with others following)
  • Automatic lane change - Tesla will need to pull this into Basic Autopilot to be competitive
  • Head-up display - this is a table-stakes option in most cars
  • Surround view - again, this is table-stakes in cars in Tesla's class
  • SiriusXM - this one is the big puzzler to me - why is it in the S/X but not 3/Y - this is standard in almost every car in the US
  • Phone projection
  • Surround view

I’ve had my 2024 MYP for three months now. I still love the car, but I’m starting to notice how bumpy it is on rougher roads. We purchased a 2024 LR M3 last week and after spending some time driving around in that car, it’s hard not to notice how much smoother it is. So I’m still a big fan of the Model Y just based on the amount of cargo space and the very roomy back seat, but I think when Juniper comes out they are really going to have a home run if they can make the ride quality comparable to the Highland M3.

Reactions: Dennisis and SO16
I’ve had my 2024 MYP for three months now. I still love the car, but I’m starting to notice how bumpy it is on rougher roads. We purchased a 2024 LR M3 last week and after spending some time driving around in that car, it’s hard not to notice how much smoother it is. So I’m still a big fan of the Model Y just based on the amount of cargo space and the very roomy back seat, but I think when Juniper comes out they are really going to have a home run if they can make the ride quality comparable to the Highland M3.
I have no real complaints about the ride in my 23' MYLR with the Gemini wheels. The P's staggered wheels ....well, the larger wheels and less sidewall probably contribute. Does anyone know if the MYP suspension is tuned to be harder than usual?

I have no real complaints about the ride in my 23' MYLR with the Gemini wheels. The P's staggered wheels ....well, the larger wheels and less sidewall probably contribute. Does anyone know if the MYP suspension is tuned to be harder than usual?
I believe the Model Y Performance shocks have less damping, the overall suspension is about 1" lower, and the springs are stiffer.

• Helpful
Reactions: Iron and sleepydoc
We just upgraded our 2020 MY for a 2024. I must say the car is so much quieter and the suspension is night and day in comparison. You need to go test drive a 2024, not sure what was done but it is not the same car as a 2020.

The larger 20" wheels with the thinner sidewalls will make a significant difference in the ride for the worse. I don't know if there are other differences but it would probably be worth getting 19" wheels when it's time for new tires.

I have an early (July 2020) Model Y and recently test drove a 2024 Model Y and a 2024 (Highland) Model 3. Both of them rode *significantly* better than my Model Y. With the new laminated glass the Model 3 was very quiet and composed. It reminded me a lot of my Audi A4. The 2024 MY was not as quiet as the M3 but still rode much better than my 2020 version. It's hard to make a direct comparison but it was at least close to the M3 in terms of ride quality.

The larger 20" wheels with the thinner sidewalls will make a significant difference in the ride for the worse. I don't know if there are other differences but it would probably be worth getting 19" wheels when it's time for new tires.
Yeah, I'm glad I got the 19" wheels. At the time of my purchase (Jan 2023), the performance model didn't qualify for the tax credit due to price, neither did certain upgrades which would drive it over the limit. My only option was the color you see here. I later had a referral credit, so I got acceleration boost, which is as close to the P as I will get. :)