Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wouldn't be great if you could start a software update from the app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, the other day, I was at the office, around 10 AM and got this cool notifications telling me that the new software was already download to the car and it was ready to update it.
Unfortunately I had a busy day so I couldn't go to the car and execute the update.

As you know usually software updates takes an hour, so I was not going to spend that time waiting before going back home at the end of the day.... and I did it back at home..

my question, wouldn't be great to start the update from the app?
I mean we are already doing other things from the app, this shouldn't be that complicated...

I doubt it's a technical issue.

I think it would be more along the line of if your wife have the car and needs it, and you've just started a hour long update from your phone. That would be an issue.

"
I think this is it. Since the car isn't drivable during an update, Tesla wants to ensure that no one would try to use it. The safest thing is to require access to the car. No updates are that urgent that they can't wait until you get home and set it to install overnight.

My last update came while the X was at the SvC. I guess they forgot to turn off my access to the car. Would have been nice to update it then rather than wait a week. Probably a good thing I didn't have to resist the temptation. Bad enough I could have honked the horn.

Yes, I'd like to initiate a firmware update from my phone.

My last update came while the X was at the SvC. I guess they forgot to turn off my access to the car. Would have been nice to update it then rather than wait a week. Probably a good thing I didn't have to resist the temptation. Bad enough I could have honked the horn.

Yes, I'd like to initiate a firmware update from my phone.
Cars always have the latest firmware loaded when they're at the service center.. sometime they install it and something's it's just there for you to install when you get home. Regardless, you will get a notification from your app even though the service center has turned off remote access. As they should.

Cars always have the latest firmware loaded when they're at the service center.. sometime they install it and something's it's just there for you to install when you get home. Regardless, you will get a notification from your app even though the service center has turned off remote access. As they should.

Yes, they may have downloaded it for me but did not install it.

They did not turn off my remote access, to my surprise. I was able to watch the location as they moved it from the SvC to the body shop, to a detail shop, to a car wash, and back to the SvC. Unless that is normal? I didn't think it would work in either direction in service mode.