Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wow, so much fun! My first NOA test with 2019.12 (video)!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey gang. I just posted a couple new videos to my YouTube channel (Evolution Tesla) covering 2019.12. The latest one offers a good test of the new capabilities of NOA on the highway. I ran into a few issues but overall it was a really fun and exciting experience. We're getting really close to full self-driving on the highway!

If you want to check out the video, you can watch it here:

My next video should be up tomorrow, where I'll continue my extreme autopilot testing on a couple of very challenging testing routes with steep hills, tight curves and even no lane lines. 2019.12 did amazingly well - much better than when I last tested these routes in the fall!

I hope you like the new video and I'd love to hear your suggestions on how I can improve the channel. The quality is pretty decent since I have a background in video production, but it's only my 5th time in front of the camera, so I know I could use some pointers in that regard, ha ha.

Cheers,

Michael

...few issues...

Would you please have those side cameras looking rearward to see why the system would or would not do an AutoLane Change.

Such as in the first disengagement at freeway entrance:

As you were entering into the freeway, your existing lane number 5 from left to right would end and merge into the lane number 4 (from left to right) where the white car in front was.

The system wanted to change to lane number 4 before lane number 5 where it was to be ended.

There's a truck from behind in lane number 3 but apparently, human driver thought it was in lane number 4 and human took over to prevent a perceived potential collision in lane number 4.

But actually, the truck was never in lane number 4 and human driver should have not overriden the system.

Hi Tam, thanks for the feedback. I was thinking about having a rear-facing camera or two on the highway but I forgot to make the switch. I like having the forward-facing side cameras for my "extreme" testing on the winding roads (next video) but maybe for the next highway test, I'll have them point backward. Hopefully I can find a location that won't interfere with the autopilot cameras but still give a sense of how close the car is to the lines.

I'm not sure which part you're referring to with the truck in lane 3 and 4? If you're talking about the part at the 6:00 minute mark, I didn't cancel the lane change - the car aborted on its own and then continued the lane change after the truck passed. The truck was in lane 3 and then changed lanes into lane 4 as it passed me (you can see it in the rear view camera on the main display).

Thanks for checking out my new video and I really appreciate your feedback.

...the car aborted on its own...

It's at about 0:02:20.

Here's the labeling of the lanes from left 1 to right 5 while the system was not disturbed with Autosteer indicated as on:

9ykXCdc.png

The truck was behind and in lane 3. It never could collide with targeted lane 4 but the AutoSteer was turned off by the manual human response, not by automatic self-abort:

iFgnMvv.png

By the way, Human was doing the manual acceleration in this highway entrance then blaming that's a little fast!

Ha ha, thanks for that detailed analysis. Yeah, that time I did manually disengage because the car was turning into the lane really quickly and felt like it was going to cross the line into lane 3 (or at least get really close to it and freak out the driver in lane 3). It's hard to tell from the wide angle cameras, but it was merging much faster than it looked. I only gave it a little bit of acceleration before the merge because AP was set too low at only 70 km/h. If the car didn't have such a long delay before trying to make the lane change, it wouldn't have waited until the lane ended, forcing it to merge aggressively at the last second. Mind you, the GoPro interference may have caused an unusually long delay in the lane change, but next time I'll re-position those to remove that variable.

...felt like it was going to cross the line into lane 3 (or at least get really close to it and freak out the driver in lane 3)...

I don't mean to criticize human reaction.

As a matter of fact, I welcome extra human precautions because it is better to be safe.

I agree that for taping winding roads, forward-looking side cameras are great to see how good the car would be kept in lane.

For NoA that involves in AutoLane Change, it's better to monitor from reward-looking side cameras so we can see the performance despite all those cars behind.