Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wrap question: Bumper, or bumper and hood?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I take delivery Wednesday, and have scheduled PPF wrap on the front for Friday. I am not made of money. They want $600 for the front bumper, and another $400 to do the hood. Any thoughts, stories, suggestions? I will be driving the interstate most days, and my previous car got chewed up on the front bumper daily driving. Do you think I need the hood wrapped?

If I were going to do the bumper I would also include the hood.

I don't have my M3 yet but on my ICE vehicle, rocks from the highway have definitely left my hood with multiple rock chips. No where near as bad as the front bumper itself but enough that I would consider putting PPF.

Well just be aware a whole new bumper installed is like $900 so you could just forgo PPF altogether and save money now. In a few years you either sell the car and no one will car whether it’ll have PPF, or you can replace the whole bumper if it gets that bad. Or in a few years you won’t care as much that there will be a few rock chips and you’ll be glad you saved $1k. This coming from someone who spent $3k on PPF only to get dents through the PPF and sold the car to a dealer who didn’t even care it had PPF because it went straight to auction.

I take delivery Wednesday, and have scheduled PPF wrap on the front for Friday. I am not made of money. They want $600 for the front bumper, and another $400 to do the hood. Any thoughts, stories, suggestions? I will be driving the interstate most days, and my previous car got chewed up on the front bumper daily driving. Do you think I need the hood wrapped?
Bumper is essential, and $400 for the hood seems reasonable. I'd get cheap mudflaps and consider PPF'ing the rockers, only $120 if you do it yourself.

It really depends on how much potential rock chips on the hood would bother you. If you don't care that much and would be ok using some touch up paint if rock chips occur, then don't bother with the hood. But if you want maximum protection from rock chips and it matters to you, then put PPF on the hood.

I would make sure that the quote for the hood covers the entire hood and not just half the hood. To save money, some people get just the lower half of the hood done. I definitely recommend getting the entire hood done. With half-hood PPF, over time dirt will accumulate long the line where the PPF ends and it may be very noticeable especially on lighter paint colors.

Reactions: Sporty
I actually removed my mud flaps and got the lower parts of the doors, lower front fender behind the wheels and bumper area right behind the wheel PPF'd. Actually did it myself with the hood and bumper (total was just north of $450). Not worth all that $$ (for me at least) for professional application, especially on those lower areas.

PSA: The mud flaps after a year were scratching away the paint on the front and rear where they contact the paint (more so the front). dirt, sand, grit, etc, gets caught and rubs in between the flap and contact to paint area. I had the mud flaps from RPM tesla.

I would get the whole front end (bumper, hood, fenders) and the lower parts of the rear doors close to the wheel wells. We already have chips on the PPF on our front end and a bunch of chips on the lower rear door panels that are not PPF'ed.

Get front bumper, then buy a hood piece and install it yourself. It takes about 5 minutes and is the easiest piece on the car. It super simple. Then get a rear rocker kit and install that.

This would be my minimum level that would keep me from having anxiety about chips when I drove. I hate seeing chips in my paint.

After watching endless YouTube how to videos, I did my own PPF (half hood, fenders, fog/headlights, mirrors, rockers, rear bumper top). I spent about $500 total. Everything turned outreally good, except mirrors and bumper. They were very, very hard. Mirrors have some slight stretch marks and the bumper alignment is slightly off. I wouldn't attempt the bumper myself next time.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC