Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X owner claims unintended acceleration caused accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Digging up this old thread.... I'll just leave this here:

edr-modelx-crash.gif

My interpretation of the logs: 100% driver error.

2016-09-29%2022.27.10.jpg

Strong work! Any more details in the logs that you could see?

But has Tesla had a chance to analyze the actual accelerator pedal to make sure that it isn't malfunctioning? (I know, I know, there is a very small chance that the pedal falsely reported 100% depression, and a much higher probability that the foot was on the wrong pedal.)

Highly unlikely. Tesla uses a doubly redundant pedal assembly. In the Roadster, for example, there are two potentiometers. One increases resistance as you push, and the other decreases. Any inconsistency will cause an error and the car will flag an error and coast to a stop. I'm certain ModelS/X use a version of this system.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
What would that tell you? <shrugs> I can see things like this happening just as easily on vs off. Nice to know just for fun though.

I suppose the thought is that if creep was on, she might have been already sitting on the brake as she pulled into the parking space letting creep move the car forward and modulating with the brake. Potentially reducing the possibility of something like this. Obviously that wasn't the case since creep was on.

The other question would be regen "low" or "standard". If regen was low, and creep was on, she should have already been sitting on the brake coasting into the spot. Regen standard might provide a slow enough speed with creep on that you still have your foot on the gas all the way into the parking spot.

Or, some people's driving style has them pull into parking spaces faster than I normally do and they normally only hit the brake at the last second.

I suppose the thought is that if creep was on, she might have been already sitting on the brake as she pulled into the parking space letting creep move the car forward and modulating with the brake. Potentially reducing the possibility of something like this. Obviously that wasn't the case since creep was on.

The other question would be regen "low" or "standard". If regen was low, and creep was on, she should have already been sitting on the brake coasting into the spot. Regen standard might provide a slow enough speed with creep on that you still have your foot on the gas all the way into the parking spot.

Or, some people's driving style has them pull into parking spaces faster than I normally do and they normally only hit the brake at the last second.
If my memory is accurate, it was determined that she accelerated into the building (which would be necessary to jump the curb and drive over a small grassy hill). My guess is that she hadn't gotten used to the one-pedal driving yet and had been using the accelerator to do both accelerate and slow down. And in a panic during a parking event, instead of slamming on the brakes, she slammed on the accelerator.

I had previously assumed the majority of unintended acceleration accidents were a result of drivers new to no creep driving.

Believe it or not, people run into buildings all the time with their ICE vehicles. My ex-mother-in-law drove through the front window of the same 7-11 not once but twice before her kids took her car keys away.

There is no evidence there is any connection between no creep driving and this sort of accident.

People are just clumsy sometimes.

There is no evidence there is any connection between no creep driving and this sort of accident.
I don't think there's enough data, at least publicly, to know whether or not driving with one pedal increases your likelihood of unintended acceleration. What % of miles driven are creep vs no creep? Of these types of accidents, what % had creep on or off? Only Tesla knows. But thanks to wk057, we now have one more data point.

I don't think there's enough data, at least publicly, to know whether or not driving with one pedal increases your likelihood of unintended acceleration. What % of miles driven are creep vs no creep? Of these types of accidents, what % had creep on or off? Only Tesla knows. But thanks to wk057, we now have one more data point.

Since there is (1) no data to support this theory, (2) it is well-known to happen with some frequency in ICE vehicles, and (3) the previous example where this claim was made was shown to be driver error, I really don't understand the point of this.

I don't understand. Under no circumstances do you press the accelerator down to slow down, regardless of regen. Pressing the accelerator down always results in acceleration.
I think the idea is that they are not accustomed to regen braking. They take their foot off the accelerator, the car slows like it is braking, they then get distracted by something and then naturally they press down to enhance the braking that is occurring, but in this case it's being done by regen so what happens is that they accelerate.

I know it sounds like a stretch but I think it's possible.

Reactions: vandacca