Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X owner claims unintended acceleration caused accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this a joke? You can't be serious. If you are serious, I'm assuming your conclusion that 'she was embarrassed and lied to her husband' or that 'he would look to blame someone else' reflects your personal situation. (And in that case, sympathies.) It surely doesn't reflect my situation or that of women I know.

Studies have support that while men drive about 30% more miles than women (on average), on a 'per mile' basis, the accident rate is the same.
Not a joke (except the "lady driver" part) nor a conclusion. It was a hypothesis. I've heard of people not wanting to take responsibility for their actions before. Sorry if it offended you.

Not a joke (except the "lady driver" part) nor a conclusion. It was a hypothesis. I've heard of people not wanting to take responsibility for their actions before. Sorry if it offended you.
Maybe it was his teenage son. Or his brother. Or him (the logical conclusion, since he said he was driving).

But your assumption was it was a 'lady driver'. I understand people tend to filter their assumptions based on their personal life experience. Hence your statement and then my reaction.

Peace.

Maybe it was his teenage son. Or his brother. Or him (the logical conclusion, since he said he was driving).

But your assumption was it was a 'lady driver'. I understand people tend to filter their assumptions based on their personal life experience. Hence your statement and then my reaction.

Peace.
Oh I see the problem. You didn't read the thread.

Peace.

giphy-tumblr.gif

In all seriousness, I'm glad they're alright. I can't wait to hear feedback from Tesla.

The guy SAID his wife was driving. She wasn't assuming it was a woman... the guy said it was a woman.
I only saw that he said his wife's arms were burned by air bag deployment, but nothing that indicated she was behind the wheel.

The fact he was stating so emphatically that the car accelerated on its own implied (imo) that he was behind the wheel. It would be hard for someone to be so specific when they were not the one behind the wheel. (At least, that's how it works here...)

I agree with @ecarfan that the reaction doesn't seem "odd". It probably wouldn't be the way I'd phrase things - that Tesla should stop deliveries - but I can see that being a reaction of some people.

It feels odd to hope that it was a driver error, but obviously it's best for everyone involved if that's what happened. That result would mean the rest of the cars on the road are safe. I'm just hopeful they get to the bottom of it quickly, and the owner's wife's burns heal rapidly.

I also believe it was likely that the driver mistakenly used the velocitator instead of the decelematrix.

Some people have been saying that this is an issue that automatic emergency braking should be able to handle. But what about an instance where the best course of action is to put your vehicle in harms way to avoid a more serious injury to someone? This type of situation will likely be an issue as long as there are still people in control of the car, and isn't really a Testa/EV problem.

I also believe it was likely that the driver mistakenly used the velocitator instead of the decelematrix.

Some people have been saying that this is an issue that automatic emergency braking should be able to handle. But what about an instance where the best course of action is to put your vehicle in harms way to avoid a more serious injury to someone? This type of situation will likely be an issue as long as there are still people in control of the car, and isn't really a Testa/EV problem.

No matter what- it's always Hal's fault.

• Funny
Reactions: Ciaopec
It looks like his wife was driving it.

As a lady driver, I hate to blame a lady driver, but that's what it sounds like. As someone new to driving a Tesla (which may not be true in her case, but very possible,) I can see how this happened. It takes awhile to get used to the regenerative breaking. If you're not, I can see how it's possible to make the connection that the accelerator is the brake pedal. And if you slam down on the accelerator in a P90D, it's gonna launch.

So she might have really believed it was the brake, or embarrassed and lied to her husband. Or told him the truth and he's looking to blame someone else....but it's sus as hell.
My wife's E-class got totaled when another lady driver accidentally pressed the accelerator instead of brake pedal when stopping for a red light.
Not saying that men don't do it..just saying it is possible that whoever was behind the wheel pressed the wrong pedal to stop the car.
I have had colleagues who drove into apartments and flew out of parking lots..it's all too common to press the wrong pedal. Vote for one pedal driving and autonomous driving.

Last edited:
When the turn-indicator stalk was moved to the upper position, and the TACC to the lower position in the new models, it became very easy to inadvertently click the TACC up, thinking you are signaling for a left turn.
Uh, I know what you meant, but clicking the TACC up would be for a right turn.

More seriously, I had an S loaner for only a week, and it took me a while to reorient as to which stalk was which. Some things really should be standardized. Why not have the go pedal to the left of the brake, for entertainment?

I agree with @ecarfan that the reaction doesn't seem "odd". It probably wouldn't be the way I'd phrase things - that Tesla should stop deliveries - but I can see that being a reaction of some people.

It feels odd to hope that it was a driver error, but obviously it's best for everyone involved if that's what happened. That result would mean the rest of the cars on the road are safe. I'm just hopeful they get to the bottom of it quickly, and the owner's wife's burns heal rapidly.
Agreed. It's instances like this that make me hope we push forward to L4 as quickly as possible. I have an elderly extended family member who has totaled two vehicles in the past 5 years. (One in a parking lot.) While he can still pass a drivers exam, he is not safe behind the wheel - and can't be talked out of driving himself and his wife. Would be nice if there was a safe vehicle option for him.

Reactions: AmishEV and NoEggs