Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X: What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to be snide. I needed more coffee this morning. o_O:p;)

Tesla has said to use the vehicle as you see fit. The battery is covered against excessive degradation and damage (including fires) short of intentional destruction.

The battery management systems are Tesla's bread and butter. If I were you, I would not be afraid to charge it up to 100% a few times a week if you need that much range for the day.

Edit: There's a bunch of great threads on this in the S forums. Here's one I found on page 3...

Impressed how the battery holds up after 73k miles

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mlouie23
Some of this reduction is also due to the expected build-up of by-products around the anode/cathode, which slightly reduces range, but also creates a protective layer to prevent further build-up. You range should reduce a bit over the first year, but then it should stabilize.

However, some new tires have a negative impact on range, and after a bit of wear, the range improves (offsets the battery degradation a bit), so there are definitely more variables out there than just the battery.

Do you have scheduled charging enabled? If so, what time do you have it set to?
Yes...good question...12:00 a.m. 90%. Have thought about taking it down to 80%, but the Tesla line now is go to 90% daily. I don't know what to do....was hoping to stay at 230 but a FEW have reported theirs got better over time.

I get my car back tomorrow after 2 1/2 weeks in Bel Red Auto, Tesla and then back to the detail shop (Northwest Auto Salon) to replace the wrap on the trunk. Tesla is paying for it. Very small pin head paint defect from removal of the Tesla badge, but NW Auto fixed it, clear coated and the badge largely covered it.

mine is 239 (the highest i've seen yet) with under 300 miles on it. but it slowly drops its charge while sitting in the garage. been sitting for 2 days and is at 228 right now, but it seems it recharges back to 90% since I've seen 234, 237 etc at different times.

Reactions: goneskiian
Yes...good question...12:00 a.m. 90%. Have thought about taking it down to 80%, but the Tesla line now is go to 90% daily. I don't know what to do....was hoping to stay at 230 but a FEW have reported theirs got better over time.

I get my car back tomorrow after 2 1/2 weeks in Bel Red Auto, Tesla and then back to the detail shop (Northwest Auto Salon) to replace the wrap on the trunk. Tesla is paying for it. Very small pin head paint defect from removal of the Tesla badge, but NW Auto fixed it, clear coated and the badge largely covered it.
Try scheduling your charge closer to when you will use it. Check your 90% as soon as charge completes. Some have reported vampire drain or climate control eating up a few miles after a full charge.