Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X60D Range Anxiety

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I average at 280wh/mi on daily commute which is about 50 miles round trip with 70% local and 30% highway speed. Range mode is on, front AC is at 3, rear AC is off, regen is set at standard. I really don't see a problem reaching rated miles.

Outside temp is between 70 and 90 which might help a bit.

Reactions: gangzoom
i think you should only expect 150 miles per full charge on road trips because you just never know about the headwinds. luckily in CA, the superchargers are well spaced out so it's never an issue. it is a little nerve wrecking because the navi will overcompensate early on and drop your expected SOC on arrival at like 2%, then closely climb back to 10% (for example) the longer you go.

I'm in the UK, and for UK roads/distances our 60D X on 20inch wheels is almost perfect.

Just did 156 miles recently and arrived with 15% remaining, so 180 miles is doable. That's travelling at 67mph on curise control (UK speed limit is 70mph), heavy rain for last 40 miles of the trip, outside temp 48F climate control set at 70F, trip was done at night so lights on, car was reasonably full with three people and decent amount of luggage (frunk full, third roll had to be folded down for suitcases).

33268443363_15d7ed6b88_z_d.jpg

In warmer weather I've seen consumption figures not far off what I use to get in my old Nissan LEAF!!!.

To be seeing 120 miles range you guys be pushing 500Wh/miles.....I can only guess some of you must be travelling at speeds a tiny bit faster than local speed limits ;).

33241582493_c4f5798bfc_z_d.jpg

Well, the unofficial speed limit appears to be 80 when there is no traffic here in so cal. And people will still pass or tailgate you at that speed, especially in the carpool lane.

And our city's official speed limits are typically around 50 or 55, so it's very difficult to keep it under 500Wh/mi when driving in the city.

I have 90D MX. Drove almost 14000 miles in 8 months, but never had range issue. Came close, but never a problem. As someone stated, range anxiety will go away once your drive in between few superchargers. Key is to stay around 70 miles/hour speed. Higher speed will kill the range much quicker. Enjoy your Model X.

There are plenty of CHAdeMO stations along the way and a few Level 2 chargers on Plugshare. Lots of up and down hills heading through Lake Country and into Vernon (I lived there for a couple of years). If you don't have a CHAdeMO adapter you might consider picking one up.

If you have the high amp charger option you may consider stopping for a few minutes at the SCH100 80amp charger in Sicamous to ensure you make it to Revelstoke. July temps will be 35-38 degrees C going through the Okanagan and Shuswap regions...you'd be definitely using AC.

The speed limit through Hwy 97A is mostly 80km/h and I think you should be okay driving 200km in the X60D.

Too bad the Sicamous Supercharger isn't available yet.

Last edited:
I will be going on my first road trip this summer in Canada, and have never used superchargers before. The longest gap between superchargers on my trip is 200km, or 125 miles (Kelowna to Revelstoke). Even though the X60D is rated for 320km (200 miles), I'm never able to get even close to this range in the city. Does anyone else have experience achieving a non-stop run of 200km between superchargers with 4 passengers and luggage in a X60D?

You should be fine, just dont punch it in the longest section and don't tow anything. towing drains the battery fast.

<snip>

MX

Ok. I just did a 217.3 mile trip from Visalia to Orange County, CA with my MX 100D. 1 occupant with about 200 pounds of luggage.

It had to climb up the 4,144 foot Tejon Pass just prior to reaching to Los Angeles.

I used Autopilot almost exclusively except when I forgot to hold the steering wheel several times and it penalized me by disabling it and I had to find a highway exit to stop the car and reactivate the autopilot again.

The speed was 70 mph except stop-and-go traffic at Los Angeles freeways.

It's good weather with no heater and no A/C used (only fan used).

My MX 100D should be heavier and less efficient than a 60 kWh model.

It took 68.5 kWh/217.3 miles or 315 Wh/mile

Re2rsWw.jpg

For rainforest's 125 mile trip, if it was my MX 100D, it would take:

315 Wh/mile x 125 miles = 39.375 kWh

And his battery is 60 kWh so there's still some room to wiggle.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Hi Everyone, So I wanted to give everyone on some insight on my last 3500 miles trip with the X. These are facts that I have found during the trip!. Maine to FL

* Driving at 80 MPH only drop about 2% of your total battery from charger to charger
* Driving at 75-80 mph with full AC set at 70 was comfortable and does not affect range at all ( maybe 1%) Outside temp was 80-90
*AP1 drove 98% of the trip and it was amazing ( great during the day, Best at Night time)
*No Wait time for supercharger at all in the east coast ATM!
*30 to 34 Hours with Model x one way and I was refresh happy and don't mind it at all.
*Charging till you have about 8-12 % to the next charger was well within any range anxiety! ( we never drop below 5%)

So far we have own the X now for 8 Months and about 20k miles driven! It has been the best car I've ever own!'

Would I upgrade to 75 @$4500 yes yes yes ( but we are going to wait for this coming winter to do so just in case the prices drop! But it will be upgrade before December!

I would not upgrade to AP2 ( so far driving whiling sitting behind the wheel and relax is awesome! no need to upgrade for now!

****** We love the free supercharger for life****** 3500 miles driven and cost $0!!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DrivingRockies
Good info, Khanhvngo..
I drove from GA to Chicago, and found the same. No issue about range. the supercharges are placed such a way, you will not need to worry about. I have my MX since June 2016 and driven about 14000 miles. Just love it...!!

Hi Everyone, So I wanted to give everyone on some insight on my last 3500 miles trip with the X. These are facts that I have found during the trip!. Maine to FL

* Driving at 80 MPH only drop about 2% of your total battery from charger to charger
* Driving at 75-80 mph with full AC set at 70 was comfortable and does not affect range at all ( maybe 1%) Outside temp was 80-90
*AP1 drove 98% of the trip and it was amazing ( great during the day, Best at Night time)
*No Wait time for supercharger at all in the east coast ATM!
*30 to 34 Hours with Model x one way and I was refresh happy and don't mind it at all.
*Charging till you have about 8-12 % to the next charger was well within any range anxiety! ( we never drop below 5%)

So far we have own the X now for 8 Months and about 20k miles driven! It has been the best car I've ever own!'

Would I upgrade to 75 @$4500 yes yes yes ( but we are going to wait for this coming winter to do so just in case the prices drop! But it will be upgrade before December!

I would not upgrade to AP2 ( so far driving whiling sitting behind the wheel and relax is awesome! no need to upgrade for now!

****** We love the free supercharger for life****** 3500 miles driven and cost $0!!

So what is the fastest I can go on the highway without hurting range?

I would have to say that anything above 80mph you will start to see a reduction in range! I try one leg between charger and was staying above 80 and sometime 87 mph and we can see the range dropping from 15% till next charger down to about 6% estimated and at that point I didn't risk it we had about 45 miles left to go. Total was 110 miles for that stretch. I decideded to drop back down between 70 and 80 and got to the charger with about 8 %. If you must go faster than 80 I think you are using to much energy to be affective. If you have charger that you know you can get to in a pinch then Go for it, otherwise 80 is plenty fast. Without compermise to range.

so that means there is no difference in range between 70mph and 80mph?

That is definitely not what it means. 80mph will be quite a bit less efficient than 70mph. The dominant energy loss at those speeds is air resistance. And air resistance is proportional to velocity^2. So 80mph has about 30% more air resistance than 70mph.