Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XM radio missing station list

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bob_p

Apr 5, 2012
I've had XM activated on our S 100D since Tuesday evening.

And, as of last night, we can listen to the individual stations, but there isn't a station list, so new stations can be tuned only by single stepping through the station numbers - one at a time (PLEASE bring back the station slider, that we have for AM & FM!).

I've tried resending the activation signal - and rebooting the console processor. The firmware was also updated from 17.7.2 to 17.9.3 - and, as of last night, it still hadn't updated.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, any recommendations on how to fix it?

Tesla's phone support didn't have any suggestions other than the reboots.

My XM got a list at one time. It was a genre breakout list when you clicked on the Entertainment folder you see when selecting XM
Not getting that now 17.9.3

My best workaround is to save a few XM channels as favorites ( click on the heart symbol )
I save a few key channel areas so at least I'm pretty close to desired stations

Most the channels I like are in close proximity, so not too bad. But the interface is truly laughable

Obviously not a priority item for Tesla

This could be one of the "improvements" introduced in 8.0 - reducing the reliability of the station list, especially when activating new radios.

I've reported this problem to Tesla. And will continue to pursue this until it is corrected.

XM is part of the premium radio upgrade package - and without a station list, with no station slider (removed in 8.0), XM is pretty much unusable.

This appears to be a problem on Tesla's end - and nothing that XM can do anything about. XM is broadcasting the station information - and the Tesla software isn't picking it up.

I will work this issue with Tesla next week. If this has been fixed in 8.1, then they can add our new S 100D to the beta test list so we can verify the new software fixes the problem...

If Tesla would either restore the channel slider (like AM or FM radio) or provide a digital keypad (to enter a specific station), we could work around this. Creating a lot of favorites is a workaround - but the favorites list is too cluttered now that all favorites are lumped together, instead of the previous implementation with the station presets.

If Tesla really wanted to improve the usability of the XM radio interface, they could - fix the station list, restore the channel slider, and include the currently broadcast programs into search (for example, searching on your local sports team would give you the specific XM channel currently broadcasting their game).

Will try again to get Tesla to help with this problem today.

Heard back from our local Service Center yesterday.

Tesla is aware of the XM Station List problem. Evidently cars manufactured after 8.0 firmware was released have problems getting the XM Station List.

They haven't offered any workaround to get the Station List - and the problem doesn't appear to be anything that can be resolved by SiriusXM - it's in Tesla's software.

They are supposed to be fixing this problem in a future software release (hopefully 8.1).

How many others are seeing this problem???

As far as I can tell, all of the XM channels in our subscription are activated and can be tuned manually, by single stepping through the channels one at a time. Saving frequently used channels as favorites can help.

Like the other apps, Tesla could do so much more with the software. Because of internet connectivity, Tesla should be able to get access not only to the station list - but also to the program guide. So the console display could show not only the list of stations, but also waits playing now - and what will be on later. Then a search of the program guide would make it easy to find which channel(s) would have a game with specific teams. Without that, every time we want to listen to an MLB, NFL or NBA game, we have to single step through the channels until we can find the channel for our team.

8.1 is supposed to be released very soon - and hopefully that will fix the XM station list problem - along with fix some of the other "improvements" made to the Media Player app in 8.0...

Reactions: idealsol
Our S 100D is at the Service Center to adjust the passenger door handle (which was sticking occasionally).

While it's there, they decided to try to fix the XM station problem - I suspect they can't fix it - and we'll need a software fix to undo the "improvements" added in 8.0 last year...

The Service Center was able to get the XM radio station list & categories to show up. It is evidently a known firmware problem, and by installing a firmware update, they fixed the problem.

However, the station slider is still missing - removed in 8.0, so moving between stations still requires single step up or down one channel at a time, unless the station list is used.

The Service Center was able to get the XM radio station list & categories to show up. It is evidently a known firmware problem, and by installing a firmware update, they fixed the problem.

However, the station slider is still missing - removed in 8.0, so moving between stations still requires single step up or down one channel at a time, unless the station list is used.
Which firmware update?

Bob - any idea how they got it to work? My Model S is brand new (last Friday) and it has all the problems you described from your post back in March. It's a surprisingly terrible execution of satellite radio by Tesla.

Contact your local Service Center and report the problem. If they don't know how to fix it, have them contact the Houston Westchase Service Center to find out how they got my XM working.

When I talked with local and HQ Tesla support in March after receiving our S 100D, the conclusion at that time was that a bug was introduced in 8.0 last year that impacted cars built after 8.0 was released, causing problems with loading the station data for XM. At that time, the assumption was that it would not be possible to fix the problem until Tesla included the fix in the official releases.

Evidently the latest release (17.24.28) doesn't include the fix - but the Service Center was able to work around the problem.

Without the station list - XM was pretty unusable.

When I scheduled this week's service visit, I had assumed the XM station problem couldn't be fixed by the Service Center - and had expected we'd continue waiting for Tesla to finish getting AP2 operational - and then see the fix pushed out when Tesla got back to updating the rest of the software, and fixing the other bugs introduced by the 8.0 media player "improvements".

After arriving at the Service Center, they asked if I wanted them to fix the XM problem - and I expected them to try, and then call me later and give me the same explanation, that it wasn't fixable at this time. And was pleasantly surprised when they called - said the car was ready - and the XM was fixed!!!

Well... It's b a c k... After working initially upon return from the Service Center, the XM station list/categories are missing again, which makes the XM radio in our new S 100D almost useless, except for stations that we've already recorded as favorites.

The local Service Center is now reporting this is a problem with the 8.0 firmware, and until Tesla distributes a fix in a software release, there isn't any way to fix this - and keep it fixed.

That's what I was told in March - so we wasted the extra time at the Service Center earlier this week - just to get the XM station list to show up for a brief time.

TESLA - When can we get the 8.0 bugs fixed in the media player??? It's been 9(?) months since the media player improvements introduced XM and USB bugs - can't we get these fixed???

This has been a problem for me since Sept, 2016 when I picked up my car.
They clearly don't care about this issue.
On the bright side, it gives me a talking point when anyone asks me if I like everything about the car!

I'm in .92 software and it was not fixed. However, I got a call from my service center about complaining in the survey maintenance response and apparently, they released a new software update yesterday that fixes this issue. They manually pushed it to my Car, but I have not installed yet since I'm traveling overseas but he made it sound like it would fix the issue of the xm channels not displaying under 'channel list." Hope they are right. I have been without XM channels displaying for over 2 months!

I'm in .92 software and it was not fixed. However, I got a call from my service center about complaining in the survey maintenance response and apparently, they released a new software update yesterday that fixes this issue. They manually pushed it to my Car, but I have not installed yet since I'm traveling overseas but he made it sound like it would fix the issue of the xm channels not displaying under 'channel list." Hope they are right. I have been without XM channels displaying for over 2 months!
Thanks. Keep us posted if it works and what version you ended up with