Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow/amber rear turn indicators?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

It seems to be about as minimal of a design as they could do.
It looks like the smallest brake / blinker light segments I can recall seeing on any car.
Maybe that is part of the aesthetic like iPhone having only one visible button. They are trying to do "most basic car" ?

Anyways, I was hoping for something more prominent to show when one intends to turn.

Maybe the thought is that the car will be so smart it won't let you turn into someone trying to go past you, so you don't have to worry about weak indicators?

Last edited:
When they are slowing down and hit the brakes, the left segment goes off and the right segment goes on. It almost looks like they switched to signaling right for a moment. Someone could think they were planning to move over to the right lane...

It seems to be about as minimal of a design as they could do. I guess cut all costs to the bone is at work here, including no center driver display, and about the smallest brake / blinker light segments I can recall seeing on any car.

Maybe that is part of the aesthetic like iPhone having only one visible button. They are trying to do "most basic car" ?

I'm not in charge, but I would have done the same thing. We all know this is not the same as the S or X. And I see nothing wrong with doing that.

Hmm... Maybe not... I don't recall seeing a picture of an RC with that lit up. Side repeaters (like amber blinkers) are required in Europe I think, so the European version will probably get it.

I'm not in charge, but I would have done the same thing. We all know this is not the same as the S or X. And I see nothing wrong with doing that.
The X isn't that much different. Only difference being the stop and turn lights are split apart on the X instead of incorporated. But the brake light size and shape between the two is pretty much the same.

rear lights start at about 1min in:
yes, these are the euro lights, but only difference I believe is the amber turn is red on the US.

I think Model X and 3 Brake lights are like:

-- --

And Model S brake lights are like:
[( )]

In other words, S brake lights seem more noticeable.

X:
x-brake-lights.png

S:
s-break.png

3:
3-brake-lights.png

So I guess I wish the 3 did two things differently to be more like X & S:
#1: Change the segment to amber when in blinker mode (like the X)
#2: Brighten the outer running light segment when braking (like the S)

Both of these things would seem to improve safety and neither would make the car look different when the lights are off.

Wow, you folks are realllllly interested in these turn signal colors. I don't get it, but wow.

It's a surprising topic of debate that I've seen occur on other makes and models of vehicle.

The 8th Generation Honda Civic originally had red turn signals (2006-2008), but Honda switched them to clear lenses with amber bulbs during the model's mid-cycle change (2009-2011). The clear lens/amber bulb combination is super visible, day or night. The red turn signals were not nearly as noticeable, despite being separate from the brake lights.

Personally, I've always liked clear lenses with amber bulbs. They look nicer than amber lenses, because there is more of a contrast with the red plastic covering the brake lights. They also look more interesting IMO than tail light assemblies that are completely red.

Something like that would make Model 3 look more modern and safety oriented, I think.
I agree, I think it looks cool. Some think it is dorky or dumb, but I personally like it. Some say it is distracting, well actually that is kind of the point to make it distracting and more noticeable.

I actually would be getting another TT (on my third in a row), but my wife finally persuaded me to get something with 4 doors.

I have seen fairly recent Mustangs with sequential turn signals as well. And years ago, there were sequential turn signals on some other cars -- very clear indications of what the vehicle will do, i think.
For people not willing to read the link - in the US we can't have turn signals like that, because each individual "element" must be a minimum of 2200mm^2. Each section that lights up individually must have that minimum size. So the above turn signal on the Lexus doesn't qualify, since each light in the small strip of lights along the bottom is too small.

The Mustangs get away with it because each element is individually large enough:
maxresdefault.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Bokonon
I think if the sequence was fast enough such that at least 2 elements would be lit at the same time (assuming 2 would have enough surface area) that would be way to meet the regulation and yet still have the sweeping sequence.