Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow Border

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its really noticeable when the sun hits hit. I also have a yellow band on the main touchscreen. My car is only 2 months old. 10\18 build.

I still love my car and hope this will magically get solved!!!

I had this problem and Tesla repaired it under warranty.

Attachments

• IC warranty.PNG
    IC warranty.PNG
    5.6 KB · Views: 122
So my appointment was supposed to be on the 7th and this is the message I got via text message from the service center.

"We are reaching out to you from the Tesla ***** Center in regards to your upcoming appointment on June 7th. We recently received news from our Engineering Team in regards to the yellow border that has been appearing around the touchscreen of both our Model S's and X's. According to our Engineers, this issue is actively being worked on and they are in the process of testing a permanent solution since replacing the touchscreen is only a temporary Band-Aid. The issue has been returning even when we replace the touchscreens, so this does not seem to be the correct solution. Once a permanent solution has been released, we will be sure to have you come in to address the issue right away. At this time we will cancel your appointment and email you a copy of this closed repair order."

So I responded now what?

"Hello,
Once the fix is available you'll receive a notice from Tesla
Thank you"

• Informative
Reactions: Ken7
replacing the touchscreen is only a temporary Band-Aid. The issue has been returning even when we replace the touchscreens, so this does not seem to be the correct solution.
Ok, so Tesla is officially admitting that all new cars they are selling today will likely have yellow screens, they have no solution as of right now, and when they do everyone will have get in line (which will be at least as long as today's service waits). We should be warning any new car buyers, so that they are not surprised like us.

Wow. So as of today two reports of free screen replacements, and now reports of screen replacements down the line, again. Really not sure what I should do; I know Tesla DOES NOT refund ANYTHING, so the chances of me getting my money back from last week are pretty much zero.

Wow. So as of today two reports of free screen replacements, and now reports of screen replacements down the line, again. Really not sure what I should do; I know Tesla DOES NOT refund ANYTHING, so the chances of me getting my money back from last week are pretty much zero.
The only thing I can think of is go through the official warranty dispute via the 3rd party company they list, claim that you paid for it because you wanted it fixed and Tesla told you it's not covered, however you believe it is covered. Clarify that it was a fix, not a part replacement since they refused to leave you the old part. Otherwise Tesla can claim they would have fixed your old screen, but you insisted on a new one instead, and they only cover repairs, not new screens. See if you can get your money back this way. Btw, if the 3rd party company rules in your favor and Tesla refuses to pay, you can then go through your credit card too.

From what they're saying right now, its a temporary fix, *period*. You will have to bring your car in to get it 'unyellowed' periodically. And a fixed screen is available.

This is obviously a cost saving measure, but I don't see how they get to pick and choose. If the entire screen changed to black and white, would that also just be a cosmetic issue? The service center scratched the bezel on my touchscreen during the last service, and they're replacing *that*, but that's also just a cosmetic issue (And something they caused.)

How is this any different?

Took my MS to the SC for the airbag recall today and asked about it. They said (and as always, take it with a grain of salt) that within the next couple of months they are getting “a new tool” to fix the screen without replacing. It sounds to me that they will be replacing the glass and perhaps using a different kind of glue for the new one...

Compared to all the other magic solutions proposed, even if true, having local service centers dismantle LCD screens, clean the glue off and re-glue is crazy. If it is the solution, swapping out defective yellow border screens, for a re-manufactured part, no matter what magic rays or goop they use to fix it, would really being the prudent way to approach this. They can do their chanting and waving chickens over the screens somewhere else, like a clean room.

• Love
Reactions: SeminoleFSU