Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow Border

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t think it’s acceptable to leave as-is. I think they’re working on a financially viable solution and should be given the time to develop it, even if it’s not perfect in the end.

So if you agree that it's not acceptable to leave as-is, I think the disparity then comes in whether or not we even believe there can be a "repair fix". Because I firmly and solidly do not believe there can be. And I think "credentials dropping" is very bad form, but that comes from a background that gives me some insight into what's causing the problem to begin with.

I strongly disagree with the notion that UV or software can reverse, even temporarily, what's going on in these displays. And I find it very hard to believe that they got zero concessions from the supplier on the matter. (I also think the numbers, as to cost, are too high; since the yellowing screens weren't put into cars until mid to late 2016, so there are unlikely to be 100k of them in the wild.)

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
And I find it very hard to believe that they got zero concessions from the supplier on the matter.

I would bet they do the lamination in-house, and that's what's failing. I'm pretty sure the display is fine. You can tell from the pictures the yellowing is closer to the surface.

(I also think the numbers, as to cost, are too high; since the yellowing screens weren't put into cars until mid to late 2016, so there are unlikely to be 100k of them in the wild.)
Isn't this more like 200k+? 250k?

(I also think the numbers, as to cost, are too high; since the yellowing screens weren't put into cars until mid to late 2016, so there are unlikely to be 100k of them in the wild.)

Didn't they sell ~100k S&X vehicles in each of 2017 and 2018? And ~22k in Q4 of 2016.

So you are looking at potentially more 200,000 impacted vehicles. As far as cost say $300 for a screen plus two hours of labor. So $500 sounds reasonable. What isn't reasonable is that they wanted to charge people ~$1,300 for the replacement. But maybe the screens cost way more than we think they do.

So if you agree that it's not acceptable to leave as-is, I think the disparity then comes in whether or not we even believe there can be a "repair fix". Because I firmly and solidly do not believe there can be. And I think "credentials dropping" is very bad form, but that comes from a background that gives me some insight into what's causing the problem to begin with.

I strongly disagree with the notion that UV or software can reverse, even temporarily, what's going on in these displays. And I find it very hard to believe that they got zero concessions from the supplier on the matter. (I also think the numbers, as to cost, are too high; since the yellowing screens weren't put into cars until mid to late 2016, so there are unlikely to be 100k of them in the wild.)
I have an August 2017 build vehicle and just noticed the yellow border. Does anyone know when Tesla stopped installing screens affected by this problem?

• Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka
Didn't they sell ~100k S&X vehicles in each of 2017 and 2018? And ~22k in Q4 of 2016.

So you are looking at potentially more 200,000 impacted vehicles. As far as cost say $300 for a screen plus two hours of labor. So $500 sounds reasonable. What isn't reasonable is that they wanted to charge people ~$1,300 for the replacement. But maybe the screens cost way more than we think they do.

I guess the figures I saw were just US figures, so maybe that's so.

If they were charging for these screens at cost, I'd be a lot less upset, but I don't think they are. At least one person scrounged around the web and found the original supplier and a retail single-unit cost of around $400.

Yes there's labor but it seems to be 90 minutes or so, of such.

If they were charging for these screens at cost, I'd be a lot less upset, but I don't think they are. At least one person scrounged around the web and found the original supplier and a retail single-unit cost of around $400.

If that is the one I recall it was listed as "like new" or "refurbished". So not a new screen, and certainly not the new version that isn't supposed to yellow. (They may have a lot of the yellowing ones left in stock that they are trying to clear out too.)

Yes there's labor but it seems to be 90 minutes or so, of such.

Yeah, 90 minutes of actual labor to do the swap out. With a high risk of breaking/damaging the dashpad or trim. Then you have all the other time of checking the car in, checking out a loaner, washing it, checking in the loaner, and checking it out. (or the time for a mobile tech to drive to/from the customer.) That is why I figured at least 2 hours of labor, it is likely actually more than that once you add up the entire process.

It’s too bad that so many people actually believe this.

Facts make people believe all sorts of strange things. Burning $2b per quarter is not a long term strategy. Demand is soft and the company is scattered to the corners of the earth with nonessential projects. If we end up in a recession in the near term Tesla is done. Sure, someone will pick over the bones and snap up the IP, but if you think service is bad now...

Facts make people believe all sorts of strange things. Burning $2b per quarter is not a long term strategy. Demand is soft and the company is scattered to the corners of the earth with nonessential projects. If we end up in a recession in the near term Tesla is done. Sure, someone will pick over the bones and snap up the IP, but if you think service is bad now...

I’d prefer to actually wait until the end of this year to have a better picture. Temporarily discontinuing their most popular S/X variant and reducing line capacity for upgrades, is self induced.

Looking at one complete quarter and an email that has been misinterpreted by the press, is not exactly a full picture.

And so far, I have had great service.

If we hit a recession, I’d be more worried about GM, Ford, BMW and others.

Time will tell.

Doesn't jive with the story that the process may need to be repeated. So the screen keeps getting more and more yellow?

The condition that cause the edge to get yellow continues. You then need a UV burn in adjustment (masking out the already yellow) strip bring the rest of the screen back up to the same amount of yellow, followed by an additional display mask adjustment to add the proportional amount of inverse back in ...or blue as some are calling it.

I'm curious if anyone who always runs their screen in night mode has encountered any yellow banding. Asking, as I only operate my screen in night mode to aesthetically match the rest of the black dash interior, and no issues after 50,000 miles on my 2016 Model S.

My screen had no yellowing when it was replaced at 3 years 50K miles and I left it on on auto brightness which meant 100% during the daylight most of the time.

The *replacement* screen came with the yellow border :(

I hadn’t noticed any yellowing until a SW update near the start of this year meant my maps started up without the satellite overlay. Then I saw and understood what folks were taking about.
It is an unsightly and unwanted change in the significant interior feature.
Not yet significant enough a change for me to care about getting it fixed. Maybe if a couple of other things turn up I’ll add it to the list.

This is an obvious defect, not hard to convince a jury, judge, or an arbitrator. I've taken a lot of *sugar* from Tesla corporate (Service has been awesome for me, but always limited by corporate BS like "firmware fix is coming") over undelivered promises and badly designed parts in the last 6 years. I have an appointment scheduled already for a yellow screen on a 1 year old Model S. If I hear "no replacement, no fix deadline" this will be the straw that breaks the camel's back, I will initiate a lemon law return and get my wife the Audi eTron. I gave Tesla/Elon many passes on many undelivered promises, mostly because I liked Elon's vision and partially didn't think it would be worth pursuing in court (having done that before , it's a MAJOR pain in the ass), but this one is so obvious and should be easy to qualify for lemon law return. This is obviously a (horrible) part a yield issue, so Tesla should pass it onto their parts supplier, unless Elon decided to use screen not speced for automotive, then it's his own risk gamble that didn't pay off, the company has to pay and Tesla board can hold him responsible for gambling like that if they want. Fix the screen, or take the car back.

Another interesting thought just occurred to me. Is Tesla officially saying that anyone who buys a new car today will have their screen go yellow in few months? If yes, should they warn the new car buyers? If not, that means the do have parts which they believe will not go yellow, so they should be swapping cars under warranty to those new parts.

You then need a UV burn in adjustment (masking out the already yellow) strip bring the rest of the screen back up to the same amount of yellow, followed by an additional display mask adjustment to add the proportional amount of inverse back in ...or blue as some are calling it.

But the Tesla tech said that they are fading the yellow, not increasing it:

Instead, they'll offer a "UV light healing" option - where they use a large UV light emitter over the screen to invoke a chemical reaction that temporarily reduces the yellow shade in the screen glue.

So, I've given in - I'm paying to have the screen replaced with the -C revision, which they say 'will resolve the issue'. Really grates on me in a way, because the car is again, under 6 months old, and here I am shelling out for in-warranty repairs due to a failure of something that's absolutely no fault of my own.

But I do not believe that these mirrors and magic tricks will fix the problem.

So. Fanboys will be glad that I'm tithing to the company to support the mission, while others can be angry that I gave in and affirmed that Tesla can charge for repairs, on new cars, of items that should be in warranty.

Maybe this is a trend. Maybe when the automatic handles stop working that'll be handwaved as something I have to pay for, too.

Either way, the confidence damage is done and can't really be fixed by Tesla at this point at least on my end. So it goes.