Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow borders on main screen- A new fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I for one would be truly amazed if they fix via software. Mainly given that the issue is not on all screens and the degree of yellowing changes with time.

In any case, I was told by a SC manager that some issues that I was having with AP were probably related to the yellowing of the screen, so I would take what they say with a grain of salt.

Yeah and the paint color of our cars can cause AP problems too. ;) Was the service manager winking at the time? Sometimes I wonder if people say things as a litmus test to scale our intelligence and what they can tell us in the future.

It would be a simple enough ~80% fix to adjust the white balance and yellow the whole screen with the exception of the adhesive band, then activate that display profile on cars reporting the problem via a service toggle.

I don't see that as a particularly terrible solution, provided it's purely a cosmetic issue. Better than sending ~100k LCDs to a landfil.

I for one would be truly amazed if they fix via software. Mainly given that the issue is not on all screens and the degree of yellowing changes with time.

In any case, I was told by a SC manager that some issues that I was having with AP were probably related to the yellowing of the screen, so I would take what they say with a grain of salt.
I wondered the same thing about fixing it with software... it'll almost have to be a custom video driver setting that is pushed to ONLY the cars with the issue, which I doubt they have a way of proactively determining other than us reporting the issue... which will then require some manual step to get the software changes queued up for push, or worse a SvC visit to manually install. Not good. The other option is to remove the daytime settings altogether and go completely dark/nighttime settings for the whole fleet... if they did this we'd know why.

As for the yellowing interfering with your AP, um.... I thought I'd heard it all until now. :D

Would someone please tell me what is the big deal with this yellow band around the screen that requires a $1,000 replacement?

Wonder how many owners would replace it on their own cost if it was not covered by warranty.

Does this yellow band, in some way reduce the functionality of the screen?

Would waiting for the upcoming software to be presented before having all the screens replaced be financially prudent.

It would be a simple enough ~80% fix to adjust the white balance and yellow the whole screen with the exception of the adhesive band, then activate that display profile on cars reporting the problem via a service toggle.

I don't see that as a particularly terrible solution, provided it's purely a cosmetic issue. Better than sending ~100k LCDs to a landfil.
Except there are some of us who don't want this to be fixed with a color calibration and would prefer a screen without issues. I don't think the LCDs would have to go to landfill, it's the layer on top of the screen (perhaps the part that detects touch or just protects the underlying screen) that is causing the issue.. by all reports it's the glue that's sandwiched between the top layer and the screen underneath... If that's the case, the yellowing will likely vary from car to car meaning you may not be able to completely eliminate via software, esp if yellowing increases over time and exposure of the adhesive to air.

Would someone please tell me what is the big deal with this yellow band around the screen that requires a $1,000 replacement?

Wonder how many owners would replace it on their own cost if it was not covered by warranty.

Does this yellow band, in some way reduce the functionality of the screen?

Would waiting for the upcoming software to be presented before having all the screens replaced be financially prudent.
If not covered by warranty, I doubt many of us would bother. But if you just bought a brand new shiny 4k TV for xmas (I just picked up a 2018 100D last friday) you'd want to return it for the one without yellow around the edge... and that's a TV, not a $100k+ car.

No it doesn't (seem to) interfere with functionality, but it isn't right and shouldn't be happening.

I don't think the LCDs would have to go to landfill
I find it quite hard to believe they aren't just thrown in the trash or scavenged/smelted for recoverable metals. Nobody is going through the trouble of delaminating the glass, removing failed adhesive, and remanufacturing the unit.

it's the layer on top of the screen (perhaps the part that detects touch or just protects the underlying screen) that is causing the issue.. by all reports it's the glue that's sandwiched between the top layer and the screen underneath... If that's the case, the yellowing will likely vary from car to car meaning you may not be able to completely eliminate via software, esp if yellowing increases over time and exposure of the adhesive to air.

Like I said, if it's a fix for ~80% of people/situations that's tens of thousands of screens and tens of millions of dollars for Tesla not spent to fix a vanity issue.

I find it quite hard to believe they aren't just thrown in the trash or scavenged/smelted for recoverable metals. Nobody is going through the trouble of delaminating the glass, removing failed adhesive, and remanufacturing the unit.

Like I said, if it's a fix for ~80% of people/situations that's tens of thousands of screens and tens of millions of dollars for Tesla not spent to fix a vanity issue.
Sounds like Tesla should be holding their supplier's feet to the fire to fix it on their dime... no accountability means there's little to no incentive for the supplier to improve their quality control... We have no idea how many units are out there with this issue. This seems to be new-ish builds only 2017-2018 X/S... Lots of speculation that this new adhesive that is causing the yellowing was in an attempt to avoid the bubble/leaking adhesive out of the center screen which I guess people should have just wiped off their floorboard since the screen still worked and it was also merely cosmetic? lol

Yeah and the paint color of our cars can cause AP problems too. ;) Was the service manager winking at the time? Sometimes I wonder if people say things as a litmus test to scale our intelligence and what they can tell us in the future.

It was such an outlandish idea that it took me a few seconds to fully process it, so I didn’t even get to say anything. But he was dead serious. Luckily the AP issue has gone away after the most recent software update. I didn’t even have to refill the blinker fluid! :p

Well from having had a pretty pronounced yellow border unit replaced, and reading about others' replacements, it's my understanding that the units that were used as a replacement for the majority of people were refurbished instead of a new screen/unit. I took this to mean that units being replaced had the screen taken apart, cleaned and reassembled for someone else, hopefully with a better suited adhesive. However we've had yellowing occuring again, but if they haven't solved the adhesive problem, haven't seen a reason to go back into service for it. Still hoping they/supplier solves this problem. Adhesives and screens are not a new world issue. Confident our Telsa guys can solve this issue. Certainly with more automotive companies wanting to copy everything Tesla has done, more and more vehicles will be looking to install larger screens in their vehicles that will run maps, apps and control the car, generating a lot more heat in addition to the heat from sun heating.

Maybe the adhesive yellowing issue has always been a problem with manufacturers and was simply hidden by adding a black border around the screen. Tesla's Model S screens are borderless with a thin metal band protecting the edges. I'm glad it's not bubbles in our screen but when the border becomes really noticeably discolored it's not something you really want to see in your high-end car.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Admins may want to join this thread into this one, which has 20+ pages before this one blows up to the same amount...

FWIW, you can see how it's a hardware defect when you turn off the car or switch the screen into cleaning mode, take out your cell phones flashlight and hold it right above the screen, so the light falls down vertically onto the screen, reflecting about 70°into the drivers eyes. You may have to look a bit closer depending on the state of the defect, but it's definitely visible.

I held off with the replacement for about 4 months until it became clear an MCU hardware upgrade, though technically feasible, would not be offered by Tesla. By that time the discoloration was quite pronounced.

Admins may want to join this thread into this one, which has 20+ pages before this one blows up to the same amount...

FWIW, you can see how it's a hardware defect when you turn off the car or switch the screen into cleaning mode, take out your cell phones flashlight and hold it right above the screen, so the light falls down vertically onto the screen, reflecting about 70°into the drivers eyes. You may have to look a bit closer depending on the state of the defect, but it's definitely visible.

I held off with the replacement for about 4 months until it became clear an MCU hardware upgrade, though technically feasible, would not be offered by Tesla. By that time the discoloration was quite pronounced.
I think it's good that people are so intensely interested in this minor problem. It means that we have exhausted all of the more serious problems and all we have left to whinge about is the screen border.

Reactions: kavyboy
I think it's good that people are so intensely interested in this minor problem. It means that we have exhausted all of the more serious problems and all we have left to whinge about is the screen border.
Well my 2018 100D also has a really loud front motor (louder than any other D loaners I've had) but I'm waiting until my first service (unless it gets worse) to have them tell me "it's completely normal". I also am keenly monitoring the weird suspension noise I think my car has this also but it's very subtle. As long as it doesn't get worse than it is now I'll probably be okay to live with it. Overall I was expecting much better build quality coming from a 2013 and getting into a 2018... While it is better in a lot of ways, there are other ways it isn't... YMMV

I wondered the same thing about fixing it with software... it'll almost have to be a custom video driver setting that is pushed to ONLY the cars with the issue, which I doubt they have a way of proactively determining other than us reporting the issue... which will then require some manual step to get the software changes queued up for push, or worse a SvC visit to manually install. Not good. The other option is to remove the daytime settings altogether and go completely dark/nighttime settings for the whole fleet... if they did this we'd know why.

As for the yellowing interfering with your AP, um.... I thought I'd heard it all until now. :D
This could be a screen setting under user control to adjust the amount of color correction so that as the screen ages, it can be adjusted. Could even have an adjustment for the color match.

The software fix, in theory, really isn’t that crazy. LG’s OLEDs go through a periodic, automatic, screen adjustment, whereby each pixel is analyzed for output and an equalization process is activated to ensure that all pixels have the same output over time. This ensures that as the screen ages, uniformity remains good.

However the big difference between OLEDs & LCDs, is that OLEDs can be controlled at the pixel level making a process like LG’s feasible, whereas high-end LCDs (at best) are controlled in zones. The best LCD displays can have hundreds of zones, but that’s a far cry from controlling a screen’s output at the pixel level. Less expensive LCDs have a simple backlight with no zones at all. I think our Tesla screens fall in the ‘no zones’ category.

• Informative
You'd be surprised. The AP cameras see painted portions of the car as part of their images. Turns out camera performance can be somewhat dependent on how much light hits it, so if your hood is more reflective you get more light into the camera (think, why do football players apply black paint under their eyes). The AI may have to learn how to deal with different color hoods in their field of vision. Humans are a lot more sophisticated but even our perception can also be fooled by surrounding colors. Check out the picture below. Would you believe me that squares A and B are the exact same, identical color and shade? If you want to confirm, take a piece of paper, cut out two holes where the 2 squares are, then cover the rest of the image exposing only the 2 squares through the holes, and you will see they are identical. Or print the image below, cut out the two squares and compare them.

In summary, color of your car can absolutely affect camera based perception used by AP.
Grey Square Optical Illusion.png

Boy did I step into that one. I made the comment off the cuff and without much thought actually but yes I can see that being an issue for AP. Just like the glare off a car's chrome or windshield/windows can temporarily blind a nearby driver. Not the best thing to pull out of the air to use as an example I guess!

Going back to the OP being told his AP problems might have to do with his "screen discoloration"?? (which prompted my ill-stated reply on car color), I do not see how the yellowing of the adhesive on the MCU screen edges would affect his AP at all. Would make as much sense as saying the color of his floor mats would affect his AP. My point made better this time?!

• Love
Going back to the OP being told his AP problems might have to do with his "screen discoloration"?? (which prompted my ill-stated reply on car color), I do not see how the yellowing of the adhesive on the MCU screen edges would affect his AP at all. Would make as much sense as saying the color of his floor mats would affect his AP. My point made better this time?!
I’m the OP, but I mentioned nothing about AP. I called the SC only to discuss the yellow border. For me, like most others, it’s an aesthetic issue.