Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow borders on main screen- A new fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can't be "fixed" by software only hidden. The problem is that the glue used is not UV stabilized, so it yellows over time. I am also seeing this yellowing on the bottom edge of the instrument cluster display :-(.

So if I was trying to hide this... I would match the yellow edge with he UI, so you can't see it, but the failure is still there.

It is most likely that the LCD screen manufacturer had quality issues or the specs were wrong (for example, wasn't rated for the high temperatures a Tesla will go to when parked in the sun for an extended period of time. My suspicion is that the delay for a new screen/part number is for something manufactured by someone else or to a different set of specifications. Agreed that the fact so many cars are seeing it points to a design or manufacturing problem.

I had mine replaced and the tech said there was a defect with the screen... it affects almost all the screens, and that eventually there will be an aftermarket fix when it is designed. If it's fixable with firmware - which would be impressive - that would save them a lot of $$..

I think the real hope is that most of the screens will make it through the warranty period before going yellow.

I suppose I could have bought a Camry, but what fun is that?

I had mine replaced and the tech said there was a defect with the screen... it affects almost all the screens, and that eventually there will be an aftermarket fix when it is designed. If it's fixable with firmware - which would be impressive - that would save them a lot of $$..

I think the real hope is that most of the screens will make it through the warranty period before going yellow.

I suppose I could have bought a Camry, but what fun is that?
How big is the screen in the Camry?

My 2018 Model S has been fixed with a new part number for the screens. According to the mobile service technician I was the first car (atleast in my region) to receive the new screen.

mobile_mcu_screen_1.jpg

mobile_mcu_screen_2.jpg

mobile_mcu_screen_3.jpg

Service invoice states:

SX-MCU SUB-ASY, SHIP. OGS DSPLY, RMN (1084333-00-B)

According to both Tesla on the telephone and the mobile service technician this is the definitive fix for the yellow banding issue.

The partnumber 1084333-00-B doesn't yield much results on Google, so this indeed looks like a new part number.

My 2018 Model S has been fixed with a new part number for the screens. According to the mobile service technician I was the first car (atleast in my region) to receive the new screen.

mobile_mcu_screen_1.jpg

mobile_mcu_screen_2.jpg

mobile_mcu_screen_3.jpg

Service invoice states:

According to both Tesla on the telephone and the mobile service technician this is the definitive fix for the yellow banding issue.

The partnumber 1084333-00-B doesn't yield much results on Google, so this indeed looks like a new part number.

Mobile service reached out to me re this also. Question: I have MCU1 with yellow bands. Is the replacement just the LCD part or the whole MCU and if the latter, will they upgrade it to MCU2?

Service invoice states:

What's interesting, is that the online parts catalog, shows a revision C with that same part number, and not the revision B. I'm curious what the difference is between the two revisions any why are they installing the older revision B for you?

URL = https://epc.teslamotors.com/#/systemGroups/60329?partNumber=1084333-00-C&partId=5740048

Note: After you click on General Public, paste the URL back in your browser to get to the specific page.

My 2018 Model S has been fixed with a new part number for the screens.
Thanks for the pictures, but I hate seeing that things are pulled apart that far (I understand why). It's that sort of thing that introduces rattles and squeaks. I am going hold off a bit and see how these new screens go and also know that when I book it in to get done the tech will have done it many times before so no 'ooops I forgot about that clip' breakages.

Thanks for the pictures, but I hate seeing that things are pulled apart that far (I understand why). It's that sort of thing that introduces rattles and squeaks. I am going hold off a bit and see how these new screens go and also know that when I book it in to get done the tech will have done it many times before so no 'ooops I forgot about that clip' breakages.
Impressive to see all those innards. I do wonder what the pressure bulb is for. I assume it's temporary to keep something inflated.

Thats what I'm going to do also.

Mobile service reached out to me re this also. Question: I have MCU1 with yellow bands. Is the replacement just the LCD part or the whole MCU and if the latter, will they upgrade it to MCU2?

Just the screen. They take out the entire MCU, then separate the MCU from the screen and attach the new screen.

It's really not that bad. The only parts here that are missing are the interior trim pieces. They were really carefull with the clips and they have spare clips. He told me that there was one smaller 'triangle trim piece' that would sometimes break off. I believe he had those spare with him. (the 'wood' between the steering wheel and the mcu).

I believe all the parts that were removed are actually just 4 or 5 pieces, almost completely 'clip on'.

Very few screws were involved. The tech told me he was very happy with Tesla and the way they were built because it was easy to take them apart and put them together again.

Impressive to see all those innards. I do wonder what the pressure bulb is for. I assume it's temporary to keep something inflated.

It was to lift the top part of the dashboard, so they can get behind the trim with tools to remove those pieces and remove the screws that is holding the MCU together. In the second picture you can see the Autopilot computer above the glove box, with the blue wires. That is the part that will be replaced when the FSD computer is here.

• Informative
Reactions: DDotJ and P100D_Me