Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow borders on main screen- A new fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Boy did I step into that one. I made the comment off the cuff and without much thought actually but yes I can see that being an issue for AP. Just like the glare off a car's chrome or windshield/windows can temporarily blind a nearby driver. Not the best thing to pull out of the air to use as an example I guess!

Going back to the OP being told his AP problems might have to do with his "screen discoloration"?? (which prompted my ill-stated reply on car color), I do not see how the yellowing of the adhesive on the MCU screen edges would affect his AP at all. Would make as much sense as saying the color of his floor mats would affect his AP. My point made better this time?!

The way they framed it was along the lines of the MCU being defective, with the yellowing being a symptom of it being about to kick the bucket, which was probably also causing the AP to malfunction. So both things would get fixed once they were allowed to replace the screen. It almost made sense if you don’t think too hard.

But now that I have the microphone, and unrelated to that, I could kind of see a software approach to the fix if something like excessive heat is causing the glue to turn yellow. If that is the case, they might want to replace the screen without any changes to the hardware AND release a software update that somehow makes it run cooler. Or something like that...

Reactions: SMAlset
This happens with a lot of parts. Those people at the service center don't have a define answer or eta. When a known defect is found in a part but no replacement is available you unfortunately have to wait.

Better steer colum turn signal assembly in the works when the m3 owners has those issues a few months ago? Don't replace any current bad ones with an old version. A newer part will come out.

I wouldn't want a replacement knowing it's the same version that can fail.

Reactions: Ken7
For the time being (because the yellow border will do my head in) I set mine to night mode and it's growing on me, I prefer the dark look of it now.
I hadn’t thought about doing that during the day, assuming it might be hard to see. However it’s worth a try and I do like how it looks at night. Like you, my eyes just fixate on those ugly yellow borders.

SEC Hamburg Germany told me I'm on the list now to get a new MCU later this year when they get it. They also told me that they don't exchange the MCU any longer because the problem reappears soon. They said that it's a problem with the panel itself. They NEVER told me that there will be a firmware fix or software update for that.
By the way thank you SEC for repairing my leather in the drivers front door area B column.