Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're going to see a lot more service denials and other bullshit from Tesla as their misguided attempts to cut costs continue. The single best way to cut costs at Tesla is to fire Elon Musk or demote him to mailroom chimp. He is the reason Tesla's spending is out of control. Instead of focusing on making great cars at a profit, he continues to take Tesla down as many costly rabbit holes as possible: Semi, solar panels, energy storage, streaming music service, taxi fleet, video games, failed assembly lines, what else?

Have you seen this thread where Tesla is covering up a battery defect by limiting owners' range? They literally reached into owners' vehicles via software update and reduced their range by 10% or more in order to keep their batteries from catching fire. Yet Tesla will not cop to what they did and will not honor battery warranty for these owners.

Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

It's only going to get worse, folks. I've seen this before. If you want Tesla's problems to go away then PLEASE get the votes to fire him at the next shareholder meeting. Nothing else will stop the bleeding.

Last edited:
Lots of drama over a little yellow line.

I can never understand replies like this. Repairs are strictly a business decision and have no relationship to whether we love our cars. I recommend that if you have nothing positive to add to a poster's problems you simply not reply. Not everyone has a lot of money to repair what are obviously defective parts installed in their vehicle. Agree with the poster or disagree but do not try to make them personally incompetent.

I thought I'd join the club and report the yellow line on my display which has been there for over one year. I submitted it with two other minor problems on my phone, Tesla app. When I submitted it, I received an instant reply saying the mobile tech would be to my house on Aug. 6. Sounds like an automated reply based on key words in text submitted.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I thought I'd join the club and report the yellow line on my display which has been there for over one year. I submitted it with two other minor problems on my phone, Tesla app. When I submitted it, I received an instant reply saying the mobile tech would be to my house on Aug. 6. Sounds like an automated reply based on key words in text submitted.
You’ll get a text on or before 8/6 that will say, “Sorry, bla bla bla bla”. Been there done that.

I am still waiting for that stupid machine to come available at the service centers.
I have gone and requested it at three places so far, and they all said we have seen it, but its not here at the moment.

They seem to be flipping the same machine to different centers, so its a lottery if your car happens to be at service when that machine shows up.

It almost feels like the Amazon Truck, and trying to get lucky at its location.

We're going to see a lot more service denials and other bullshit from Tesla as their misguided attempts to cut costs continue. The single best way to cut costs at Tesla is to fire Elon Musk or demote him to mailroom chimp. He is the reason Tesla's spending is out of control. Instead of focusing on making great cars at a profit, he continues to take Tesla down as many costly rabbit holes as possible: Semi, solar panels, energy storage, streaming music service, taxi fleet, video games, failed assembly lines, what else?

Have you seen this thread where Tesla is covering up a battery defect by limiting owners' range? They literally reached into owners' vehicles via software update and reduced their range by 10% or more in order to keep their batteries from catching fire. Yet Tesla will not cop to what they did and will not honor battery warranty for these owners.

Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

It's only going to get worse, folks. I've seen this before. If you want Tesla's problems to go away then PLEASE get the votes to fire him at the next shareholder meeting. Nothing else will stop the bleeding.

I have no idea how anyone can read your post and still vote to disagree, as a car and shares owner I'd like to see Elon demoted.
The culture of his ad-hoc decision making is a plague within the company.

I have been a Tesla promoter since day-1 with dozens of referrals for new vehicles. However, I can no longer recommend purchasing a new Tesla model based on their current behavior and poor customer service.

Unfortunately, Elon has now reached the stage when he needs to step aside and let professional management run the company going forward. This is the classic case of a brilliant entrepreneur reaching his level of incompetence and not knowing when to step down.

Peter principle - Wikipedia

I have my hearing scheduled at a local hotel in early August. The only thing I have received from Tesla, was an Email stating that they hoped my problem was resolved. If not, let us know and we will get back to you when we can.. I have had no luck getting in contact with them.
Still love this car.and think it is t one of the best fun cars I have owned. You guys that think there is a better electric car out there, I wish you luck.

Sorry for the delay folks,

I forgot to take photos when I went back the first time. Just got back from going again and speaking with a regional manager(I think?). He admitted he saw it also and was asking HQ how to handle.Also for those of you pursuing the same, when they repair under the arbitration agreement, make sure they do NOT mark it "good will". It should be marked warranty.

Before photos:View media item 120098View media item 120097
After photos:

View media item 120096View media item 120095View media item 120094

I forgot to take photos when I went back the first time. Just got back from going again and speaking with a regional manager(I think?). He admitted he saw it also and was asking HQ how to handle.Also for those of you pursuing the same, when they repair under the arbitration agreement, make sure they do NOT mark it "good will". It should be marked warranty.

Thank you for continuing to share your experience of this process.

While it did reduce the border significantly, I wouldn't accept this issue as resolved.

I got the hearing date for my arbitration. Within few hours I got an email from tesla counsel

"We received your arbitration request through NCDS/CDSP regarding the yellowing you observe around the touchscreen. As you may know, we’ve dispatched a repair for this concern and we would like to coordinate that repair without requiring further involvement of the arbitrators. It will require some coordination but I understand we can get your car into the shop and get the tools to your service center in fairly short order to work on this concern and resolve it for you (free of charge). I saw that you obtained a prior order in arbitration on this issue, however you should know that with or without the order the repair is the same and we’ve actually repaired that customer’s touchscreen in the manner I’m offering to you now so going through with the arbitration doesn’t or shouldn’t bring any different result other than spending time to get to the same place. No arbitrator has ordered us to replace the touchscreen, just repair it and if we can’t get the repair done then we’d have to replace it but we can get it done. We’re simply shortcutting the process.
So, would you please cancel the arbitration so that we can get this done? Keeping it open causes us to incur undue costs when we’re offering to do what you’ve asked us to do already. If that’s ok with you, kindly let NCDS know and I’ll coordinate with your service manager to get it done."

I replied saying that I will drop it if I can get a written confirmation that the repair will be done in 30 days.
He said he will arrange for the repair within 30 days, but he is very adamant that this repair is not covered by warranty, but just a goodwill service.
Meanwhile, I got the Manufacturer response form which said that the issue was not presented for repair and it is not covered under warranty.
When I told him about this, he said that he submitted that form before responding to my email.

"frankly, it was largely a copy/paste from another brief. We are prepared to fix your car, though we do not consider it a warranty issue. Regardless, you won’t be paying for the repair"

What should I do?
He will get my car repaired within 30 days but at the same time he is getting off the hook for another repair if the issue happens again.

• Informative
Reactions: re04586
I got the hearing date for my arbitration. Within few hours I got an email from tesla counsel

"We received your arbitration request through NCDS/CDSP regarding the yellowing you observe around the touchscreen. As you may know, we’ve dispatched a repair for this concern and we would like to coordinate that repair without requiring further involvement of the arbitrators. It will require some coordination but I understand we can get your car into the shop and get the tools to your service center in fairly short order to work on this concern and resolve it for you (free of charge). I saw that you obtained a prior order in arbitration on this issue, however you should know that with or without the order the repair is the same and we’ve actually repaired that customer’s touchscreen in the manner I’m offering to you now so going through with the arbitration doesn’t or shouldn’t bring any different result other than spending time to get to the same place. No arbitrator has ordered us to replace the touchscreen, just repair it and if we can’t get the repair done then we’d have to replace it but we can get it done. We’re simply shortcutting the process.
So, would you please cancel the arbitration so that we can get this done? Keeping it open causes us to incur undue costs when we’re offering to do what you’ve asked us to do already. If that’s ok with you, kindly let NCDS know and I’ll coordinate with your service manager to get it done."

I replied saying that I will drop it if I can get a written confirmation that the repair will be done in 30 days.
He said he will arrange for the repair within 30 days, but he is very adamant that this repair is not covered by warranty, but just a goodwill service.
Meanwhile, I got the Manufacturer response form which said that the issue was not presented for repair and it is not covered under warranty.
When I told him about this, he said that he submitted that form before responding to my email.

"frankly, it was largely a copy/paste from another brief. We are prepared to fix your car, though we do not consider it a warranty issue. Regardless, you won’t be paying for the repair"

What should I do?
He will get my car repaired within 30 days but at the same time he is getting off the hook for another repair if the issue happens again.

I'd proceed with the case.

What should I do?

If its worth your time, I would continue with the arbitration unless they accept and acknowledge that it is a warranty issue in writing. It's concerning how they are trying to call it a goodwill issue, because as you similarly explained it, they can stop offering goodwill service at anytime if the issue comes back. If I read between the lines, this is their goal.

There is precedent set with prior NCDS cases in which they are deeming this a warranty issue, you should be able to get the same ruling.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: neroden
Hi all!

I come bearing news on how to get your yellow screens replaced.

Its surprisingly simple. Tesla participates in a program called NCDS which is binding arbitration for Tesla but NOT for the individual. This is a remediation option prior to true binding arbitration. This means that even if you lose you can still pursue other options later but Tesla has to abide by the ruling. If you follow my points below, you should be able to get your screen replaced using this method.

I went to their website here: NCDS - Automotive Warranty Disputes and filed a claim. All I wrote was a few short sentences describing my screen and explaining that Tesla refuses to fix it. About 2 days later I received an email confirming the claim is eligible and notifying me I would be assigned an arbitrator and a date for a conference call.

I received an email and a letter via the mail a few days later confirming my arbitration date for 3 weeks away. Shortly after, I received an email with Tesla's response. Their response was quite fascinating, in that they 100% admitted the design flaw, but are trying to place it as both "wear and tear" being caused by "environmental conditions" and just a "cosmetic issue". Their response is here: Tesla Response . The interesting bits are mainly on pages 4 and 5.

Shortly after I was provided their response, I replied to my claims administrator and sent her a written response providing dates and times I spoke with individuals, with their names, contrary to Tesla's representative's claim that I never contacted them over this issue to seek a repair. I also provided both photos of the issue to show it impacts while the screen is on, and a copy of an invoice (here: Tesla Repair) showing that they previously claimed it as warranty. This was forwarded to Tesla.

On the day of the call, my husband and I joined with the arbitrator and Tesla's lawyer. The discussion was short, only 30 minutes and had a few interesting notes:

* The discussion partially focused around whether it was a design "characteristic" as opposed to "flaw"
* Tesla claimed it was an environmental issue and provided no proof thereof. The arbitrator dug into this and made it clear he was unimpressed with their claim that had no backing. The lawyer on Tesla's side claimed they had the documents but could not provide them "because of NDAs and such"
* Tesla has _not_ issued a TSB(technical service bulletin) for this issue. That was another sticking point for our arbitrator.
* Tesla's lawyer specifically called out that the flaw impacts every model S/X of that "vintage", but then stated that not every one will exhibit the problem.
* I brought up during the call that I had called the service center that morning and they claimed to have no knowledge on dates for the fix. This was in direct response to Tesla's representative claiming that the fix was actively rolling out to service centers across the country, and had been for 2 weeks.
* interesting note about refresh: Their lawyer admitted that they are now completing final details on their refresh that is around the corner, and this won't be a problem for those vehicles.

Once we ended the call, it took about a week to get the decision in my email: decision . All told, this took MAYBE 45 minutes worth of my time. I now have a mobile tech scheduled to come out next week, and notes in my account to not cancel the appointment.

I have received two emails stating what others have already mentioned, basically that they are not responsible but as a favor they will try to “minimize “ the look of the yellowing. I have an appointment scheduled for this coming Monday to have this issue and a few others addressed. Should I file a claim with NCDS first or just have the work done then file? Thanks for your help!

forgot to include this as well. The original invoice they gave me marked the whole incident as "goodwill". My response was to tell them it definitely is not goodwill, and should be changed to be warranty. This is their passive-aggressive reply. NOTE: This was written by the lawyer according to the manager at the service center. (also, I have NOT accepted that it is gone, as you can see in the above reply with the photos, it definitely persists)

View media item 120099

forgot to include this as well. The original invoice they gave me marked the whole incident as "goodwill". My response was to tell them it definitely is not goodwill, and should be changed to be warranty. This is their passive-agressive reply. NOTE: This was written by the lawyer according to the manager at the service center.

Well done.

It's disappointing that even after the arbitration conclusion, they still are trying to create the false narrative that this is not covered under warranty.

There still is the open item however- the border was not successfully removed, it was successfully lightened.

Tell him that unless this is documented as a warranty replacement you will continue the arbitration process. Otherwise there is a risk that they will replace your screen with the same version that is prone to the issue to save costs. Then they are off the hook for having to replace in the future.

Getting an arbitration ruling in your favor doesn't guarantee a screen replacement at all, none-the-less a screen replacement with a screen that is guaranteed to not yellow in the future. They are still just going to use the UV healing as a first step and only replace the screen if that doesn't work.

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA