Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like you need a script to send a question email to the service email every day. ;)

As amusing as contacting the service center every day would be Tesla has made attempting to contact an SC near impossible. They don't want to hear about your problems. Its not like their job is to provide support to the owners or anything (part of which is just answering simple "how do I..." questions).

Edit: The best way to actually talk to a human at a SC is to call sales and ask to be transferred. I haven't had much luck getting a SC to pick up the phone when I call them directly but they always pick up on the first ring when sales transfers a call to them. Amazing how that works...

Anecdotal reports are just that - anecdotal. Just because your personal experience doesn’t line up does not mean that heat isn’t a fairly obvious contributing factor in a significantly large portion of the affected population.
What are you talking about? I was responding to a question asking if anyone in a Model 3 was having this issue. I have seen no evidence on this forum of any Model 3 having the yellow screen issue.

Reactions: ucmndd
Had the UV treatment today. Dropped off at 830 am at Grand Ave Chicago location. Process was complete by 1 pm. During the process my door was left open and AC left on high. Must get pretty hot. They put painters tape on the metal frame screen bezel to protect it, which is nice.

My yellowing was not as bad as some others I have seen. Manifested around November of 2018, finally fixed today (9-21-19). The issue is mostly resolved. Extremely slight yellowing still present, but you really have to look for it.

You can see the before and after best in the turn by turn direction box in the upper right hand corner of the screen.

MVIMG_20190821_081155~2.jpg MVIMG_20190821_135035.jpg

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190821_081155~2.jpg
    MVIMG_20190821_081155~2.jpg
    533.6 KB · Views: 127
  • MVIMG_20190821_135035.jpg
    MVIMG_20190821_135035.jpg
    460 KB · Views: 93
For me it is not the screen going yellow per se. I can leave with that, as long as I know that the company knows about the issue, working on it, communicates to the owners and the fix will be available sooner or later.
But the way they treat us,-the inability to get anyone live in the service center, emails returned one month later if ever, the VM-s never returned, appointments scheduled via app, and then canceled without explanation, one day prior, when I already changed my schedule! Add to it the whole bunch of articles from CNBC, Fortune magazine today, etc... Yup, I miss my Audi

Reactions: ABC2D
For me it is not the screen going yellow per se. I can leave with that, as long as I know that the company knows about the issue, working on it, communicates to the owners and the fix will be available sooner or later.
But the way they treat us,-the inability to get anyone live in the service center, emails returned one month later if ever, the VM-s never returned, appointments scheduled via app, and then canceled without explanation, one day prior, when I already changed my schedule! Add to it the whole bunch of articles from CNBC, Fortune magazine today, etc... Yup, I miss my Audi
I used to have an A8L and loved that’s car. However, even she came with some issues over time. That said, the service was IMPECCABLE. Always had loaners, would get me in whenever, it was the best experience I’ve ever had. Almost purchased the new A6 two months ago. The work mileage has been killing me, and I’ve always wanted a Tesla. Life is too short to only learn from your own mistakes. Guess we’ll see.

Frankly, if I knew in March what I know now, I’d be still driving my S6
I expected some issues taking this Tesla path (I did do some reading online before taking the plunge), mine has been reasonable compared to some horror stories posted on here, but a year ago the company did not behave like they are now and that is what concerns me the most about hanging on to this car long term.

Reactions: whitex
An interested observer here. I have a Model 3, but I alerted my brother and nephew to the yellow screen issue several months ago. My brother had the screen repaired with the Tesla fix last week. He is satisfied with the repair and says that it removed the yellow.

My question, if I am not too presumptuous, after reading this entire thread, is as follows: Has anyone had the yellow reappear after the Tesla fix? If not, rather than look into a class action or the press, why not wait and get the yellow repaired by Tesla? Obviously, if the Tesla fix is not adequate, I believe replacement would be warranted.

Maybe I have missed something in all these posts, but the appearance to me is that Tesla worked on on a fix and now has rolled (or is rolling) out the repair.

As to the posts that reference using the lemon law to return the car, please be aware that most states require the vehicle to have a safety or substantial defect(s) that have been attempted to be repaired at least three times. As a neutral observer, I would not call the yellow a substantial defect. Perhaps there are other issues that have not been resolved, but the yellow screen will not help in a lemon law buyback.

You must be new to the forum... please go back and read the previous posts and let us know about the (temporary) UV fix... :cool:

I dropped in at Digbeth and spoke to a cute receptionist (made me wish i was 50yrs younger). She has been told that the fix is permanent but acknowledges no long term proof. They have no time scale on when they will get access to the tech, admitted they have a lot of affected customers, coudn't give a number but agreed it may well be as high as 100. I made the point that while my screen is early changes, customers aren't going to be willing to wait months...
I have my car booked for a road test next week re a chatter on hard acceleration, and also booked later for an annual check-over so I;m goingto be pressing this issue each time. I'm also thinking of a formal letter to the manager re timescale to fix or replace.
it'll be good to know how you get on

All very good points on this thread and good to see such good will from some of our Tesla community. I have to agree, if the UV fix works and is permanent then I am looking forward to getting it done.

With that in mind Tesla need to get the UV tool out to all countries immediately. I have had the issue for coming up a year now and still no ETA on when the UK will be getting the tool, this in itself is not acceptable for such a costly vehicle.

Reactions: P100D_Me
As amusing as contacting the service center every day would be Tesla has made attempting to contact an SC near impossible. They don't want to hear about your problems. Its not like their job is to provide support to the owners or anything (part of which is just answering simple "how do I..." questions).

Edit: The best way to actually talk to a human at a SC is to call sales and ask to be transferred. I haven't had much luck getting a SC to pick up the phone when I call them directly but they always pick up on the first ring when sales transfers a call to them. Amazing how that works...
I have been told that there is no longer a direct line to the SC, not even for the sales staff. Apparently now the only way to contact the SC is via email or app and you must wait for a response from them.

I expected some issues taking this Tesla path (I did do some reading online before taking the plunge), mine has been reasonable compared to some horror stories posted on here, but a year ago the company did not behave like they are now and that is what concerns me the most about hanging on to this car long term.

I am a big Tesla/Elon fan with a history of early adoption and brand loyalty, so I fully accept that as Tesla is a newcomer to the Automotive industry it will have some issues whilst it goes through the engineering and service improvement curve and therefore do my best to remain balanced with plenty of good will.

I have personally experienced a few issues with my Model S, just some of which I cover in this video, purely in order to remain objective and balanced as a reviewer:

Last edited:
Reactions: SucreTease

Well, Elon is all for automation and apps, so he should love customers automating inquiries which apparently need to be made daily since there is no automatic notification from Tesla about when the fix is available. Automation is not just for Elon you know. :p

I used to have an A8L and loved that’s car. However, even she came with some issues over time. That said, the service was IMPECCABLE. Always had loaners, would get me in whenever, it was the best experience I’ve ever had. Almost purchased the new A6 two months ago. The work mileage has been killing me, and I’ve always wanted a Tesla. Life is too short to only learn from your own mistakes. Guess we’ll see.
I was pretty much set on RS5 SB as a replacement for the S6, when I came across that increadible deal on Tesla. Was hard to pass... As much as I love the dynamics of Tesla, I almost never use the electronic nannies, imo they're very far from how humans drive.