Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would be curious to see what your screen looks like after the treatment in screen cleaning mode and/or the sketchpad.

MVIMG_20190822_111901.jpg MVIMG_20190822_111907.jpg MVIMG_20190822_111911.jpg

Quick update: Had mobile appointment for both screens and couple of minor issues scheduled via app for August 28th, got the text in the morning, as expected, it was canceled. Drove straight to the Springfield NJ service center and after long and futile discussion with the service desk was able to get a hold of general manager, who assured me that they will get the MCU screen fixing machine very soon, "manually" scheduled my appointment for September 11th and they will order the replacement IC screen after he looked at mine. Interestingly enough, he claimed that the manufacturers of MCU and IC screens are different, which I found hard to believe. I also told them that I will need the loaner, Uber credit will not do it for me, considering my schedule. I don't hold my breath at this time, but hopefully, I am mistaken.

PS they also told me that there is no new model MCU screen available...

Today Tom B from Support contacted me (after 6+ emails) confirming my cancelled Model 3 Order. I asked him about 2 issues, one was yellow screens fix. Responded to issue one, obut not to Yellow screens. Asked again. We'll see. I am an attorney and can set up a class action, if enough of you contact me with a detailed e-mail of your facts. At suzywoodrowathotmail.com

Ya'll could try this on a spot...if you are brave enough!

https://www.amazon.com/Blacklight-F...UV+glue+light&qid=1566514379&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Pretty sure this is all about the glue used to adhere the glass to the panel. It is "cured" by UV light. My guess is the inside of the car gets hot, the glue melts (or does whatever) and needs to be re-cured with UV. Tesla is probably using a larger "full screen" sized light. If you browse Amazon you will see these as flashlights, and small units for cell phone screens and larger units used for aquariums and curing UV glues on circuit boards, windshield repair resins, etc.

Ya'll could try this on a spot...if you are brave enough!

https://www.amazon.com/Blacklight-F...UV+glue+light&qid=1566514379&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Pretty sure this is all about the glue used to adhere the glass to the panel. It is "cured" by UV light. My guess is the inside of the car gets hot, the glue melts (or does whatever) and needs to be re-cured with UV. Tesla is probably using a larger "full screen" sized light. If you browse Amazon you will see these as flashlights, and small units for cell phone screens and larger units used for aquariums and curing UV glues on circuit boards, windshield repair resins, etc.
I may be over-thinking this but I wonder if there is a particular wavelength and wattage that works best?

I may be over-thinking this but I wonder if there is a particular wavelength and wattage that works best?

Almost certainly. My only such (limited) experience is with light-set dental products. I was once faced with a situation when the light-set tool died just when I needed it. I was able to cure the material using the output of a fibre light guide for an endoscope - albeit it took longer. It's likely a function of wavelength, intensity and time?

..edit.. just looked this up UV curing - Wikipedia

Today Tom B from Support contacted me (after 6+ emails) confirming my cancelled Model 3 Order. I asked him about 2 issues, one was yellow screens fix. Responded to issue one, obut not to Yellow screens. Asked again. We'll see. I am an attorney and can set up a class action, if enough of you contact me with a detailed e-mail of your facts. At suzywoodrowathotmail.com
Why did you cancel your model 3?

So I had immediate yellowing on both my S and X. They had previously denied any fix. I made appointments for mobile service using my app for both cars separately and said that based on legal/arbitration precedent, I need them to replace screens under warranty or goodwill, otherwise I'll go to arbitration and waste time and money. They texted me saying make an appointment at local SC and provided their direct number. Are they going to tell me to get lost, come in for this UV band-aid, or perhaps say "ok we'll swap screens"? Any definitive word on whether there's really a yellow-resistant new-generation screen?

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
So I had immediate yellowing on both my S and X. They had previously denied any fix. I made appointments for mobile service using my app for both cars separately and said that based on legal/arbitration precedent, I need them to replace screens under warranty or goodwill, otherwise I'll go to arbitration and waste time and money. They texted me saying make an appointment at local SC and provided their direct number. Are they going to tell me to get lost, come in for this UV band-aid, or perhaps say "ok we'll swap screens"? Any definitive word on whether there's really a yellow-resistant new-generation screen?

Definitive, no. I paid for a new screen that's supposedly non-yellowing. It hasn't yet; but it hasn't been that long. (I had it replaced in May.)

I'll be keeping track of it, that's for sure. It was a different part number entirely, than the yellowing one that was removed.

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA

I suspect that they will ultimately tell you that "the fix is coming and they will let you know when it does" or some such nonsense. I don't get the sense the service centers have the power to many any decisions on their own regarding the yellow screens.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Yes it does, comes in slower but it is certain. Mine if 5mm already I will be reporting this week to make sure they won't claim I did not. Waiting for WhiteX to go to the Bellevue SC for the "massage". If that does not go well I am considering picketing the SC :). Seriously this is the way to get media's attention.

I don't believe the issue is "sunlight" as Tesla says. Mine happened all at once, not gradually since I bought the car. I expect it is more an issue with temperature. Park your car in the sun on a particularly hot day and you will see the brown. It may take a number of days for it to be more noticeable, but if the issue were sunlight you would see it change even in the winter.