TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Yet Another Cooling Solution for the Rear Facing Seats - Evapolar

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by TheFro, Apr 3, 2017.

1. TheFro

TheFro New Member

So I was scouring through all the information out there about cooling the kiddos in the rear-facing jump seats, even thinking of engineering something when I came across Evapolar...

World's first personal air conditioner

I'm not sure of it's effectiveness but I may give it a shot. It's designed to run off a 5V 2A USB Port so I should be able to use it with a high quality 12V adapter, such as this: Amazon.com: AUKEY CC-S1 Car Charger, Flush Fit Dual Port 4.8A Output for iPhone iPad Samsung & other - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

Thoughts?

2. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

If you live in a humid climate, this won't work. They are NOT used in Sydney, Australia, but ARE used in some inland cities. Reason is humidity. Where it is low, these work very well.

3. Evbwcaer

Evbwcaer Member

The humidity in the car should be pretty low if the air conditioning is running?

4. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

After checking this web page, the OP may find evaporative cooling a challenge:

Climate of Houston - Wikipedia

As Evbwcaer mentioned, lower humidity inside the vehicle would help the evaporative process. This article gives some tips on pre-cooling and adding infrared film:

Cooling Tesla Model S 3rd Row Passenger Seat

If the forward facing passengers are willing to suffer with less cool air, here is another option:

Welcome to Nogglenation.com - Making The Backseat Cool Again!!

Monitor the rear facing seat area temperature to be safe and consider Model X with its separate cooling vents and fan system.

5. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

• Like x 1