Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yet another reason why the Dual Chargers option is worth having...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess i'd rather seem them do that program with malls, shopping centers, restaurants versus places you have to stay a long time like hotels etc.

I believe that any "business", including restaurants and retail establishments, are eligible for Tesla's destination at in charging program. It is not limited to hotels/motels/resorts.

It is up to the businesses to contact Tesla.

I guess i'd rather seem them do that program with malls, shopping centers, restaurants versus places you have to stay a long time like hotels etc.

At least in Dallas there are supposedly 7 HPWC in a parking garage at one of the nicer area shopping malls. That's the same mall as the Tesla store, so it's good synchronicity. (Potential sales tool?) Of course, doesn't make much sense for me, since I live locally.

At least in Dallas there are supposedly 7 HPWC in a parking garage at one of the nicer area shopping malls. That's the same mall as the Tesla store, so it's good synchronicity. (Potential sales tool?) Of course, doesn't make much sense for me, since I live locally.

There are indeed 7 HPWCs at Northpark. You may. It need to charge, but the location is ideal if you're there dining the holiday shopping season. Most, if not all Tesla stores/galleries have charging.

Imagine that, they're at the same mall. And they were installed when the store opened. What a coincidence! :smile:

They're primarily for the test drive cars, also for when the store manager's friends come up from Austin for a visit. All Tesla stores have a place to charge the cars.

Imagine that, they're at the same mall. And they were installed when the store opened. What a coincidence! :smile:

They're primarily for the test drive cars, also for when the store manager's friends come up from Austin for a visit. All Tesla stores have a place to charge the cars.

I did my test drive before the mall store went in (at the Service Center), but I was under the impression they didn't do test drives out of that store. If they do, then that makes complete sense as to why they'd have charging there.

I kind of assumed it was marketing, e.g. "There are charging stations all over the place. There are ones in this mall right here!"

I did my test drive before the mall store went in (at the Service Center), but I was under the impression they didn't do test drives out of that store. If they do, then that makes complete sense as to why they'd have charging there.

I kind of assumed it was marketing, e.g. "There are charging stations all over the place. There are ones in this mall right here!"
The manufacturer-plated cars are parked there -- usually 2 or 3 at any given time. The staff do like to remind owners that they're welcome to use the chargers.

The first part of your statement is just not true. I understand there was confusion and Tesla thought pairing HPWC with dual chargers would eliminate that confusion, but the fact remains that Tesla emphasized the dual chargers were to charge with HPWC at home. Even before the short-lived bundling of HPWC and dual chargers, people who didn't need 80A charging at home were told there is no reason to order the car with dual chargers if you're not getting HPWC. I'm one of them.

I'm not blaming anyone, this was before Tesla thought of a destination charging program, and when in most of the U.S. the J1772s were all 30A. It's just that dual chargers have turned out to be more useful than they were thought to be when they were intended to be paired with a HPWC installed at home. Given these facts, and the upgrade price calculates to 12 hours of service center labor above the price of the factory installed option, I think it would be reasonable for Tesla to provide a more reasonable upgrade price if the installation doesn't actually take 12 hours of work.

When I was choosing options in June '12, I was astounded that every single Tesla employee with whom I spoke (local and HQ) tried to discourage me from getting the dual chargers. It certainly seemed like a company-wide policy. There was also much discussion on this message board, and I even convinced a few people to order it. The main reasons I got one were:

1) Resale value
2) For every time I needed to charge quickly (I figured once or twice per year), I would be cursing myself for not getting them
3) Tesla would be so revolutionary and it would create such a demand for PEVs that higher current public charging stations would become commonplace
4) It would allow me to carry my UMC in the car and not have to take it out when I get home

In the meantime, Sun Country has been quietly installing 80A J1772 charging stations in the US now. They seem to have made a deal with the Best Western hotel chain.
EV Trip Planner - Sun Country Highway

So much of this argument could become moot if their network continues to grow.

3) Tesla would be so revolutionary and it would create such a demand for PEVs that higher current public charging stations would become commonplace

I think it is inevitable that EVs of all stripes are going to come with larger batteries over time which will necessitate more powerful on-board chargers to keep charging times reasonable. As such, I also believe public stations will migrate to higher power. That, in fact, is the reason I installed 2-100 amp J1772 stations at my offices. Right now, the Model S with twin chargers is the only car that can take advantage of the full 80 amps (Roadster, I think, can take 70), but over time that may change. I'm surprised Tesla would be discouraging the option.

I think it is inevitable that EVs of all stripes are going to come with larger batteries over time which will necessitate more powerful on-board chargers to keep charging times reasonable. As such, I also believe public stations will migrate to higher power. That, in fact, is the reason I installed 2-100 amp J1772 stations at my offices. Right now, the Model S with twin chargers is the only car that can take advantage of the full 80 amps (Roadster, I think, can take 70), but over time that may change. I'm surprised Tesla would be discouraging the option.

When I bought the only way to even get the dual chargers was to order the HPWC as well. There were some scattered reports of being allowed to turn down the HPWC, but I was told that wasn't permitted. So single charger for me.

Truthfully, I think they saved me the cost. Even here in CA, I've never even stopped at a charger that could push more than 40A. And if I'm hotel charging, chances are I don't really care about 40A vs 80A. Plus a lot of hotels aren't installing at 80A anyway (like our TMC Connect hotel).

It's highly usage-dependent, I think. Certainly it will become more useful as time goes on, and more larger battery BEVs start to hit the roads.

Last edited:
Truthfully, I think they saved me the cost. Even here in CA, I've never even stopped at a charger that could push more than 40A. And if I'm hotel charging, chances are I don't really care about 40A vs 80A. Plus a lot of hotels aren't installing at 80A anyway (like our TMC Connect hotel).

Fair enough. There are definitely geographic differences. In my neck of the woods, at least 75% of the public chargers I use are 90 or 100 amp. In fact, I'll go past ChargePoints and other lower powered units just to get to a 90 or 100.

Fair enough. There are definitely geographic differences. In my neck of the woods, at least 75% of the public chargers I use are 90 or 100 amp. In fact, I'll go past ChargePoints and other lower powered units just to get to a 90 or 100.
Canada is a whole other ballgame. You guys have tons of high amp J1772 up there. We don't have anything near that large a build-out in the US, yet. I'd definitely have gotten dual chargers if I were in Canada.

When I bought the only way to even get the dual chargers was to order the HPWC as well. There were some scattered reports of being allowed to turn down the HPWC, but I was told that wasn't permitted. So single charger for me.

It's highly usage-dependent, I think. Certainly it will become more useful as time goes on, and more larger battery BEVs start to hit the roads.

There are a lot more HAL2 charing points out there than you think. A lot are Tesla HPWC's, and Sun Country Highway is making inroads into the U.S.

Here is a screenshot from Plugshare with the display limited to "Tesla HPWC (Model S)" in the "more options" area. Go Tesla!
plugshare.jpg

And here is a screenshot from Sun Country Highway of their mostly 70 and 80 Amp J1772 EVSE's. What's with Bermuda, The Bahamas, Jamaica, and Cuba?
Sun Country.jpg

And if I'm hotel charging, chances are I don't really care about 40A vs 80A.

I do. To be able to check in, charge while getting unpacked etc. and while the kids take a quick swim in the pool, and we have a hot tub, then go out on the town with sufficient range is a really big advantage, before coming back to the hotel to sleep. It's rare that I check in at night, go to sleep, and leave the next morning. We like to get our money's worth out of the hotel stay -- and enjoy the facilities. With more HPWC's being installed at hotels, and a lot of 70 amps EVSE's up here in Canada, dual chargers were a 'must have' for me.

When I was choosing options in June '12, I was astounded that every single Tesla employee with whom I spoke (local and HQ) tried to discourage me from getting the dual chargers. It certainly seemed like a company-wide policy. There was also much discussion on this message board, and I even convinced a few people to order it. The main reasons I got one were:

1) Resale value
2) For every time I needed to charge quickly (I figured once or twice per year), I would be cursing myself for not getting them
4) It would allow me to carry my UMC in the car and not have to take it out when I get home

In the meantime, Sun Country has been quietly installing 80A J1772 charging stations in the US now. They seem to have made a deal with the Best Western hotel chain.
EV Trip Planner - Sun Country Highway

So much of this argument could become moot if their network continues to grow.

agree totally. I retrofitted the dual chargers within the first few months of delivery, after filling at 40 amps on a 70 amp roadster charger. No question. The tesla folks said "no" to me also. Sun Country is doing a bang up job in eastern Washington and Canada.