Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yet another reason why the Dual Chargers option is worth having...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Next time look at charging at one of the 7 eVGo CHAdeMO charging stations in Austin-- it would be even faster.

I used the term Austin loosely. The family we visited are in Georgetown and the side trip was due west from there. Going to Austin proper would have been a huge detour. The 80 amp HPWC was 1/2 mile from the family's house, so we could drop the S there, visit with family for a bit, and continue our journey.

In the supercharger desert of the I-35 corridor, I am opting to add the dual charger at delivery. I anticipate having to use destination charging at/near blues fests in the Quad Cities, Helena,Arkansas, etc. While I won't need the dual charging at home, there is currently only 1 SC in Iowa, 3 in Missouri , 0 in Arkansas , 2 in Louisiana. It's hard to read about 2 SC in the same California town, 5 miles from each other (Truckee?) I don't know if the investment in the 2nd charger is wise or not, but I'm a long way from the nearest service center, so it's a major time investment as well as money to go back and add it later. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

In the supercharger desert of the I-35 corridor, I am opting to add the dual charger at delivery. I anticipate having to use destination charging at/near blues fests in the Quad Cities, Helena,Arkansas, etc. While I won't need the dual charging at home, there is currently only 1 SC in Iowa, 3 in Missouri , 0 in Arkansas , 2 in Louisiana. It's hard to read about 2 SC in the same California town, 5 miles from each other (Truckee?) I don't know if the investment in the 2nd charger is wise or not, but I'm a long way from the nearest service center, so it's a major time investment as well as money to go back and add it later. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

All good points Lucy.
My point was that if one uses destination charging at a hotel that has an HPWC, I doubt 29 mph would cramp anyone's style. If you are back at the hotel for 8 hours a night, you get 232 miles of range added with a single charger.
Now, if you need to charge while on the road, during the day, then dual chargers are definitely a good add.

All good points Lucy.
My point was that if one uses destination charging at a hotel that has an HPWC, I doubt 29 mph would cramp anyone's style. If you are back at the hotel for 8 hours a night, you get 232 miles of range added with a single charger.
Now, if you need to charge while on the road, during the day, then dual chargers are definitely a good add.

I'm just worried that it won't be a HPWC, more like a charger at a camp ground while I keep alert for marauding possums. :wink:

As much as I applaud Tesla and these establishments for installing HPWCs, I do worry that it makes Tesla vehicles even more "elitist". Why not install 100 amp Clipper Creek / Sun Country units that will deliver exactly the same rate of charge to a Tesla with dual chargers, but also allow pretty much every other EV on the continent to plug in as well?

^ Great point.

- - - Updated - - -

If this was one of the final decisions, I think I'd rather take the $2000+labor and put it towards Autopilot, SAS, Premium Sound, or maybe even upgraded rims. The superchargers are all over and getting stronger and stronger coverage each day.

When I look at the ordering web page for MS, I don't see the option to add dual onboard chargers any more. Is it behind something else? I can't imagine that Tesla would discontinue it as an orderable option...

When I look at the ordering web page for MS, I don't see the option to add dual onboard chargers any more. Is it behind something else? I can't imagine that Tesla would discontinue it as an orderable option...

It's only available at the service center. You can't order it with the car. This is one reason why even fewer cars have dual chargers now, many buyers don't even know about the possibility as it's no longer on the options page. It's another example of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing at Tesla-- the destination charging program is pushing out HPWCs that can charge at 80A, but Model S buyers are being actively discouraged from buying dual chargers by not making it available as an option on the order screen.

Does anyone know if Tesla will make the 72 Amp charger from the X standard equipment in the S?

How about a service center installed second 72 Amp charger for 144 Amps total and 104 mph charge rate? :)

GSP

I have dual chargers in my S because if I'm low I can't charge overnight in the 4-hour window my utility provides ultra low pricing. I normally charge at 60A, and 80A is my SOC is below 60 rated or so. I've also had a few occasions where I've had to charge during the day for a fast turn around.

I have dual chargers in my S because if I'm low I can't charge overnight in the 4-hour window my utility provides ultra low pricing. I normally charge at 60A, and 80A is my SOC is below 60 rated or so. I've also had a few occasions where I've had to charge during the day for a fast turn around.
You bring up a good point on a utility's lower cost charging window, when also using a HPWC.
Note: NEMA 14-50 does not provide enough power to leverage the second charger.

You bring up a good point on a utility's lower cost charging window, when also using a HPWC.
Note: NEMA 14-50 does not provide enough power to leverage the second charger.

You have to add in the cost for the HPWC and the dual charger upgrade. In many cases the extra cost for a 100 Amp install over a simple 4-50. Even driving 120 miles every day you can fit the vast majority of your charging into the 4 hour off-peak window on a single charger. Only a small part would happen at higher rates. So it would take many many years to just break even. There is no cost advantage of a dual charger.

There is no cost advantage of a dual charger.

There is definitely a convenience advantage, though. I generally don't get down to the level of calculating how much my time is worth, but as a "for instance" my car is currently charging at 80 amps right now (at work) and will be ready to go in about 2 hours. If I only had a single charger, that would be 4 hours which is about an hour beyond when I need to leave for an appointment. End of the world? No, but certainly a "nice to have" feature.

You have to add in the cost for the HPWC and the dual charger upgrade. In many cases the extra cost for a 100 Amp install over a simple 4-50. Even driving 120 miles every day you can fit the vast majority of your charging into the 4 hour off-peak window on a single charger. Only a small part would happen at higher rates. So it would take many many years to just break even. There is no cost advantage of a dual charger.

It's an economics thing called "perceived value". It's why people pay extra for Cross Pens when you can get a Bic for 29 cents. My wife felt better knowing we had another inverter (it's not a dual charger) for the one time a year we might be out on the desert needing a charge that could take 6 hours instead of 3. For her, and therefore for me, it's worth it.

It's ridiculous that there are no superchargers in Iowa. There should be one in Des Moines, and one in the quad cities.

When I read this article it makes me feel that the money I will be spending on buying MS is worth each and every penny... I agree with you...why not install 100 amp Clipper Creek..but my question to you is are other EV car manufacturers contributing in installing these super chargers? Just wondering

Dunno about your neck of the woods, but my main breaker is rated 200A, imagine two AC units on and the Clipper.