Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yet another reason why the Dual Chargers option is worth having...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd just qualify this with some service centers are swamped. I've got three within 30 miles of me and they seem to be looking for things to do.

Wow... I had no idea. Here, in the SF Bay Area, the service centers are running wait times of six weeks for non-emergency services. My charge port door magnet fell off, and they said they can quickly replace the door which will take an hour - even for this, the earliest they could set me up was in nine days. I had more things to get done, so, I had to (actually am) wait six weeks.

Wow... I had no idea. Here, in the SF Bay Area, the service centers are running wait times of six weeks for non-emergency services. My charge port door magnet fell off, and they said they can quickly replace the door which will take an hour - even for this, the earliest they could set me up was in nine days. I had more things to get done, so, I had to (actually am) wait six weeks.

Sounds like a short term fix would be to increase the size of the loaner fleet and start trucking cars needing service to adjacent service centers that have spare capacity.

I. too, ordered my S with a single charger and now regret it. At the time I bought the car we had no SuperChargers in the area and I really didn't expect the SuperCharger network to be built out as it has. With some SuperChargers around, I've done some long trips, filling in the holes with RV campgrounds. When the JuiceBox came out, I realized that I needed the twin charger. A JuiceBox with twin chargers allows me to charge at more than 40 amps at a typical RV campground. I've found that around 45 amps is feasible. That 5 amps doesn't sound like much but it cuts more than 10% off of charge time. I had the twin charger installed a couple of months ago. At home, overnight charging suits me just fine but, with the JuiceBox, I CAN charge at 60+ amps.
Electric Motor Werks, Inc. - EMotorWerks JuiceBox

I. too, ordered my S with a single charger and now regret it. At the time I bought the car we had no SuperChargers in the area and I really didn't expect the SuperCharger network to be built out as it has. With some SuperChargers around, I've done some long trips, filling in the holes with RV campgrounds. When the JuiceBox came out, I realized that I needed the twin charger. A JuiceBox with twin chargers allows me to charge at more than 40 amps at a typical RV campground. I've found that around 45 amps is feasible. That 5 amps doesn't sound like much but it cuts more than 10% off of charge time. I had the twin charger installed a couple of months ago. At home, overnight charging suits me just fine but, with the JuiceBox, I CAN charge at 60+ amps.
Electric Motor Werks, Inc. - EMotorWerks JuiceBox
45A at most RV parks will pop the breaker or worse. This is a sure way to get yourself and future EV's banned from RV parks. Horrible idea.

The dual chargers would have cost 1500 + 1200 (second charger plus wall unit). That's a lot of money for something I realized I don't need. With just a 6 hour window off peak electricity rate I get 180 miles back. Even if I have to pay $1 more every other day where I need to charge more than 180 miles, it would take 15 years to break even. A small off peak window never justifies the cost for a dual charger setup.

I have yet to find a public charger that offered more than 32 Amp. I'm not saying they don't exist, just very few here in California. So really, I didn't see any use for the second charger and as of today there wasn't a situation where it would have made a difference to me.

The dual chargers would have cost 1500 + 1200 (second charger plus wall unit). That's a lot of money for something I realized I don't need. With just a 6 hour window off peak electricity rate I get 180 miles back. Even if I have to pay $1 more every other day where I need to charge more than 180 miles, it would take 15 years to break even. A small off peak window never justifies the cost for a dual charger setup.

I have yet to find a public charger that offered more than 32 Amp. I'm not saying they don't exist, just very few here in California. So really, I didn't see any use for the second charger and as of today there wasn't a situation where it would have made a difference to me.

Lot of them exist here in canada, mostly by the Suncountryhighway, and they are starting in the US too. A jucebox that give you 15kW charging capability cost about 500$ USD. + an extra J1772 adaptor if you don't to use the one in your car.

The future will be DC charging, but right now, I'm happy to get the dual charger when I go on trip. Sure if SuperCharger were everywhere, getting a car with no AC charger at all might become an option. You might just have battery pack at home connected to solar panel and use the direct DC to charge your car !

I'll be happy about this day !

No, I meant the hotel / ski resort / restaurant should consider a more open 100 amp J1772 over a 100 amp HPWC, not that Tesla should provide it.

Agreed. I gather you appreciate why its in Tesla's best interest and long range planning to promote their own standard over others even if they recommend that destinations also install "universal" chargers along with the Tesla proprietary charging equipment?

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

One thing I would add under Not is if you believe that chademo or sae j1772 combo/dc charging will become prevalent and supported by Tesla and that becomes the answer for day charging. I'm still hoping for the combo adapter, which should be a lot less expensive than the chademo, and within a couple years take over chademo.

I believe that that utlimately neither CHAdeMo nor the SAE Combo will be the prevalent "standard" in the US for fast charging if Tesla is successful in building the Gigafactory and selling the Model III in the numbers forecast. That standard will be Tesla's superior, high performance design that handles both Level 2 and 3 charging with one compact connector. Due to the Japanese market Tesla was forced to announce a CHAdeMO adapter. They seem to be silent regarding committing to the SAE Combo adapter any time soon. Perhaps they think that by the time there are sufficient SAE Combo chargers deployed the Tesla connector will be the de facto standard and an adapter would be counterproductive.

Larry

45A at most RV parks will pop the breaker or worse. This is a sure way to get yourself and future EV's banned from RV parks. Horrible idea.
Well, I wouldn't recommend using the JuiceBox on a 14-50 at more than 40 amps to a person with a poor understanding of electric power and wiring. This has small risk, IMHO, because:
1) the Tesla gives you ac voltage at the input to the charger; the user can notice a voltage drop that indicates undersize wiring somewhere upstream; the current demand can be adjusted up or down to give acceptable voltage drop of around 5 vac.
2) RV parks have breakers at the outlets. Those breakers can be monitored for temperature rise (by touch) which indicates impending tripping. If the breaker trips, it is easily reset.

David, I agree with you as far as home charging is concerned. But the new Destination Charging network Tesla is creating will offer another option up to three times the speed of a ChargePoint station. If you don't happen to be anywhere near a Supercharger, this could be handy indeed.

I went with dual chargers for quick home charging and time of use options (Ok-- I know it probably cost me more than it is worth, even with time of day charging). However, my wife was rather insistent that you just never know when you might need to charge quickly, and if those fast charging options at destinations become de rigueur, I figure it will save me some time and mostly aggravation of waiting around on a slow charger.

More importantly, since I'm buying a Tesla, I hope they become market leader in charging technology so I'm good to go wherever I am.

Something I found a bit ominous in that article was the assertion that Tesla plans to have just enough superchargers and not one more.

Yeah. This is worrrisome. Tesla's existing plans for Superchargers are at least a year behind (not surprising), but even their 2015 plans are quite insufficient -- the thing which I always notice is the lack of a charger in Erie, PA, which makes it impossible to drive west from upstate NY. (There's a serious charging wasteland around Erie.) If they're planning to have "just enough", they'll have too few, guaranteed. :-(

Even if threads are repetitive, perhaps some particular post's phraseology or spin on an argument will get through to someone and help them make a decision that otherwise they would not.

There are plenty of threads I find tedious or unhelpful or repetitive, and I just start ignoring them. But, I'll never say a thread should end because there's a wide variety of readers who sometimes differ quite a bit from me. In general I think a "natural selection" of sorts works well on forums: if a thread is truly of no use to anyone then it'll sink out of sight as responses stop.

Beyond the Supercharger: Teslas Other Charging Network - Corporate Intelligence - WSJ

These public HPWC's (High Powered Wall Connectors) will be appearing at hotels and resorts across the U.S. over the next few years. Here's what's installed so far...

Tesla Motors | Premium Electric Vehicles

The small red icons on the map are HPWC's. The larger red icons are Superchargers.

It is possible to use a HPWC without Dual Chargers in your Model S, but it will charge at 29MPH instead of 58MPH.

Unfortunately all these HPWC's that appear to be paid for by Tesla require you to be a patron of the business before you can charge so they are not extra on-the-go charge locations but just more destination charge points.

Unfortunately all these HPWC's that appear to be paid for by Tesla require you to be a patron of the business before you can charge so they are not extra on-the-go charge locations but just more destination charge points.
Exactly. That's why Tesla calls it the destination charging program. Tesla may have given away the HPWCs but the business paid for installation and pays for the electricity. It's to attract customers to their business, not to provide you with an "on-the-go" charging location. I don't see anything unfortunate about it.

Exactly. That's why Tesla calls it the destination charging program. Tesla may have given away the HPWCs but the business paid for installation and pays for the electricity. It's to attract customers to their business, not to provide you with an "on-the-go" charging location. I don't see anything unfortunate about it.

I guess i'd rather seem them do that program with malls, shopping centers, restaurants versus places you have to stay a long time like hotels etc.