Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke Blinkers not programmed as they should be

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
NH
First things first. This NOT a bitching session on the Yoke. I’m very happy with the Yoke over all.

But I do think they made an error in how the blinkers work.

Sometimes if things are real busy I might put a blinker on early in anticipation. Then as things get close and busy I double check the blinker is on. On a stalk that’s no biggy. It’s a No-Op if you hit the blinker again.

On the Yoke it SHUTS IT OFF if you hit it again.

Like wise. If I want to cancel a blinker. On a Stalk I tap the opposite direction and it turns off. On the Yoke it flips to the opposite direction. But if you hit a stalk hard it would flip to the other side. But your stuck with it always flipping in the yoke. Once should cancel, twice should flip. Or be pressure sensitive. Light touch cancel, hard touch flip.

I think it should cancel first. And you hit again to go the opposite side.

This would more closely mimic how stalks work and less muscle memory adjustment.

I keep messing up both those situations.

It doesn’t help that the blinker noise is all over the place on volume level. Sometimes very loud, sometimes can barely hear it. So I’m like is it on, oh *sugar*, I just turned it off.

Reactions: Murtaya
Why do you need to "double check"? They blind spot monitor will come on the screen and you will see the turn signal icon.

It used to be pressure sensitive, a slight tap would turn it on for 2 second, long push would keep it on, but people complained and Tesla changed it.

One of the best features of the turn signals is that it reliable cancels itself when you complete the turn and it easily is cancelled with out having to put the opposite turn signal on and getting stuck in that stupid turn signal loop.

I'm told that it's a great design--you'll get used to it after a few weeks. If you don't, then you're just unable to accept new and better designs because you're stuck in your old way of thinking. I also think you're just hating on the overall yoke again. Give it time. ;)

Honestly, I just drove a traditional car and they had this ugly-but-very cool stalk mechanism for blinkers. I was able to use them without thinking, and they always worked properly. I'm wondering if they'll catch on.

/s

This is another danger of moving to an entirely different paradigm for something that everybody uses: different people are going to want and expect different variations. We've all been "trained" for better or worse with the existing stalks, but the buttons are new to everybody (at least this side of Ferrari, I think?). We all haven't been aligned to a consistent behavior. It sounds like Tesla's already tried two different (opposite) approaches with this functionality, and while most people seem to like the new way, it sounds like you're preferring the original implementation?

I haven't been too impressed with the reliability of the auto-turn off behavior or the blinkers. I often find myself thinking the blinker won't turn off, so I hit the direction again a split second after it actually does, causing it to turn on again. Other times I just assume it will be reliable and turn off, but it won't. Or, if I need to do two blinkers in a row (changing multiple lanes), I accidentally turn it off early because it won't automatically turn off properly.

I'm used to being able to feel the stalk to know if the blinker is currently on or not; with this design, I have to divert either my vision or hearing to look or listen for the blinker signals (which is also less attention being paid to the traffic).

Reactions: whitex
Why do you need to "double check"? They blind spot monitor will come on the screen and you will see the turn signal icon.

It used to be pressure sensitive, a slight tap would turn it on for 2 second, long push would keep it on, but people complained and Tesla changed it.

One of the best features of the turn signals is that it reliable cancels itself when you complete the turn and it easily is cancelled with out having to put the opposite turn signal on and getting stuck in that stupid turn signal loop.
Because I’m looking at the busy intersection and not the screen. You know the road you have a clearer view of. I’m not changing lanes, I’m not looking for someone, I just want to make sure folks are aware of my moves. It might be the guy I’m head to head with and want to make sure he sees my blinker. And I want to double check it without looking down. I can’t. I have to listen or look down to check it. And you can’t always hear it.

You cant confirm by feel and keep my eye on the road. It should not cancel.

Reactions: bmah and Murtaya
Because I’m looking at the busy intersection and not the screen. You know the road you have a clearer view of. I’m not changing lanes, I’m not looking for someone, I just want to make sure folks are aware of my moves. It might be the guy I’m head to head with and want to make sure he sees my blinker. And I want to double check it without looking down. I can’t. I have to listen or look down to check it. And you can’t always hear it.

You cant confirm by feel and keep my eye on the road. It should not cancel.
It makes an audible noise, there's a huge camera shot on your screen, and a green blinking arrow...3 points where you can inspect.

Change is difficult, 20,000 miles later and I still mash the center for the horn, but the turn signals for me, at least this aspect were a pretty easy change. I personally like the effectiveness of being able to turn it on/off by hitting that direction. It helps with a chain of turns...again, I always hated that dance of the opposite direction and the auto-cancel...for me...works really well. It's to the point where I don't check anymore and it works.

If I designed the yoke, they would be on opposite sides...I feel that would have been cooler/easier, but the executive of the turn signals IMO work better than the MY and I prefer them.

It makes an audible noise, there's a huge camera shot on your screen, and a green blinking arrow...3 points where you can inspect.

Change is difficult, 20,000 miles later and I still mash the center for the horn, but the turn signals for me, at least this aspect were a pretty easy change. I personally like the effectiveness of being able to turn it on/off by hitting that direction. It helps with a chain of turns...again, I always hated that dance of the opposite direction and the auto-cancel...for me...works really well. It's to the point where I don't check anymore and it works.

If I designed the yoke, they would be on opposite sides...I feel that would have been cooler/easier, but the executive of the turn signals IMO work better than the MY and I prefer them.
The blinker audio is BROKEN for one. The level is all over the map. The other day I had the windows open and radio playing. You could not hear it at all. But even in normal cars sometimes they can be hard to hear if you have windows open and/or music going (which I often do). But the refresh is exceptionally bad at that because it’s trying to automatically adjust the audio level and ****ing it up fantastically.

Another day it’s so loud you could not hear anything else.

When things are busy. Cars and people all around. You DO NOT look down. Period.

And yes, I might be on a phone call. And yes that is a distraction. And don’t tell me your some saint that never makes phone calls. I will be more focused on the cars and people than on the screen during a phone call.

Do you look at your feet on which pedal you need to press? Do you need to look at speedometer to know you are accelerating? Or do you do that by feel without looking? I use the blinker without looking at anything but through windshield and mirrors.

Also I realized what happens as you drive. Things queue you automatically to do things. Like I’m about to change lanes I put the blinker on. I don’t think about, it’s automatic. I don’t look at the screen to check it’s on. I don’t listen. I just DO IT.

You sometimes you get multiple queues. Like you see a right turn on red sign. Arrows on the road. Or a traffic light right arrow or a stop so you always take a right at. Those all trigger you to turn on the blinker without thinking about it. It’s called muscle memory. You don’t consciously do it. You just do it.

So some situations I might say change a lane and stop at a right turn on red sign. And it triggers me to do the step again. Without thinking about it. Or I hung up the phone and I’m waiting and might double check it’s on, and hit it again. Or there is a long delay between when I put it on and now need to be sure it’s on.

Are You are telling me you have never gone to turn on the blinker only to realize you already did it? I do. It doesn’t happen often, but it happens. And when I do that with the buttons it does the worst thing possible, it shuts it off. I don’t check the stupid screen or the the green arrow on the dash. It’s automatic. Sorry but if you have to look down at the screen and check things like that are you one accident waiting to happen. You also sometimes tune out the blinker click.

Good news is I usually catch it. At least the times I thought I did. I bet there are times I unconsciously shut it off and never knew it.

It has nothing to do with change. You can’t use it by feel. You have to use other senses and brain cycles to confirm it’s on so you don’t unconsciously turn it off.

It’s a pretty trivial change.

I thought about buttons on both sides. I think they made the right call. I like to be able to drive one handed sometimes.

The blinker audio is BROKEN for one. The level is all over the map. The other day I had the windows open and radio playing. You could not hear it at all. But even in normal cars sometimes they can be hard to hear if you have windows open and/or music going (which I often do). But the refresh is exceptionally bad at that because it’s trying to automatically adjust the audio level and ****ing it up fantastically.
Wait, there is actual blinker audio? Hell, I've never ever heard it. I'll have to play around with the volume controls to see if mine actually makes a sound.

What kind of sound does it make? Is it a tick type sound, chime, etc, and is there any sort of haptic feedback when it is actuated?

Wow just another feature that I figured Tesla screwed up when they went to the yoke.

Wait, there is actual blinker audio? Hell, I've never ever heard it. I'll have to play around with the volume controls to see if mine actually makes a sound.

What kind of sound does it make? Is it a tick type sound, chime, etc, and is there any sort of haptic feedback when it is actuated?

Wow just another feature that I figured Tesla screwed up when they went to the yoke.
Lol. It mimics a typical blinker sound. Maybe try turning volume up while blinker is going. It’s definitely goofed up. Can’t find rhyme or reason for when is soft vs loud.

I tried this morning. There is a very soft clicking sound that you must have EVERYTHING turned off to hear. Even the fan on low speed is enough to mask it. I tried the volume control and it didn't help. At least I can faintly hear it so maybe something is obscuring it.

I tried this morning. There is a very soft clicking sound that you must have EVERYTHING turned off to hear. Even the fan on low speed is enough to mask it. I tried the volume control and it didn't help. At least I can faintly hear it so maybe something is obscuring it.
There has to be a setting, I can hear mine at all times, over music, road noise, etc. Seems to get louder with fan speed/music, etc. Sounds like most car turn signal sounds.

I'll see if anyone else has found a solution assuming the volume is adjustable. I legitimately thought they just removed it in some SW update. Maybe they thought it was like the energy screen and not needed.

I'll see if anyone else has found a solution assuming the volume is adjustable. I legitimately thought they just removed it in some SW update. Maybe they thought it was like the energy screen and not needed.
Something causes it to change. And changes a lot. I’ll keep monitoring it to figure it what effects it. I’ve seen other folks complain about levels being up and down.

You don’t have Joe Mode on do you?