Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke peeling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s probably not impossible to encourage your yoke to peel if it hasn’t already..

Those of us with wheels probably have to pay though since they’re resistant to peeling
Have a November/2021 Model S and zero peeling. It does not sit outside and admittedly, while my daily driver, it sits garaged on the weekends (two small kids, SUV used instead). The yoke is not pristine either, been caught by a fingernail or an object rubbing against it. I was surprised after seeing so much online about them, that it has not started peeling.

I am excited to get back to honking at people.

Image of I'm back, baby! I'm back!

Have a November/2021 Model S and zero peeling. It does not sit outside and admittedly, while my daily driver, it sits garaged on the weekends (two small kids, SUV used instead). The yoke is not pristine either, been caught by a fingernail or an object rubbing against it. I was surprised after seeing so much online about them, that it has not started peeling.
It seems to be that either prolonged exposure to heat and humidity, or heat, or just extreme humidity (not clear) seems to exacerbate the issue, especially with the car left outside. Anyone here had peeling in a temperate climate?

• Helpful
Reactions: cwanja
Would be unethical to fake a warranty claim, just to get a free yoke installed. Tesla is being generous and working hard to make their cars better. Not right to take advantage of them with sabotage.
Debatable. They sold a defective product and knowingly continued to sell it for years after the defect was uncovered. I would argue it's unethical for them not to be replacing all of them regardless of the current failure status.

Would be unethical to fake a warranty claim, just to get a free yoke installed. Tesla is being generous and working hard to make their cars better. Not right to take advantage of them with sabotage.
I would argue the opposite. Not having the horn in the center of the yoke/wheel was a terrible design decision and borderline safety issue.

Confirmed left/right on right scrollwheel does nothing while using TACC
Thanks for checking! Note that I have following distance adjustment for the right/left scroll wheel on my 2021 MYP with FSD. For some reason Tesla has not enabled this basic function on the Model S/X yokes/wheels.

I would argue the opposite. Not having the horn in the center of the yoke/wheel was a terrible design decision and borderline safety issue.

Thanks for checking! Note that I have following distance adjustment for the right/left scroll wheel on my 2021 MYP with FSD. For some reason Tesla has not enabled this basic function on the Model S/X yokes/wheels.
For my MS, on the last update, they broke the voice command to bring up the autopilot menu.

"Minor improvement" no doubt per Tesla

• Funny
Reactions: VikH
It seems to be that either prolonged exposure to heat and humidity, or heat, or just extreme humidity (not clear) seems to exacerbate the issue, especially with the car left outside. Anyone here had peeling in a temperate climate?
I live in Virginia and my 2022 MS yoke looks brand new… I park my car in the garage primarily but it does sit outside a couple times a week when I’m out golfing. I still believe the peeling is caused by lotions…