Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke peeling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Material is peeling off the yoke. my plaid is less than one year old with 10,000 km on it is this a warranty problem. Thanks for any advise.
If Tesla won’t give you a new one and you really like the original stock yoke you can find used ones on EBay. And of course there are a lot of other options out there with different materials and shapes.

My 1-year old Model S Plaid has the exact same problem - exact same spot on the yolk (lower left). Mobile service is coming. Picture attached. It is a very wierd place, as that is not a place I normally hold the wheel.

Attachments

• IMG_3282.jpg
    IMG_3282.jpg
    425.3 KB · Views: 1,691
I will have to chime in - mine has the same exact wear pattern and I have < 5K miles on my car- I'll see if they'll do something, but question-even if they will replace it, won't it wear again the same way? or did they fix it the issue by making a material or process change? Anyone know?

I will have to chime in - mine has the same exact wear pattern and I have < 5K miles on my car- I'll see if they'll do something, but question-even if they will replace it, won't it wear again the same way? or did they fix it the issue by making a material or process change? Anyone know?
I was able to make an appointment to have my yoke replaced, covered under warranty according to the service person I spoke with. I hope they made the part more robust. I'll post back here when I get it done, I'm having to delay the work for a few weeks as I'll be unavailable, but I could have gotten into the new Tucson Service center next week. That would have been quite acceptable

^ Further evidence that Tesla’s yoke is utter garbage.
To be fair, i kinda like it. i've mostly gotten used to the turn signals. I hate the horn, wish the middle worked as such. my hand positions on it are fine, and i still get jazzed about how it looks. my biggest "wish" is that there would be side functionality for the right scroll wheel - i wish that on AP (or maybe if i still had the FSD monthly) i'd like to press it to the right to increase my distance from the car in front of me, and pull to the left to reduce)

Reactions: BruceR61
My 1-year old Model S Plaid has the exact same problem - exact same spot on the yolk (lower left). Mobile service is coming. Picture attached. It is a very wierd place, as that is not a place I normally hold the wheel.
I have the same problem the first one started failing after 7 months and 6k miles replaced a month later under warranty.
The failure was at the lower left corner of the yoke in the same place as rborovoy yoke above.
The second one on schedule started failing after 7 months of service in the same place and the same failure mode.
BUT this time they want me to pay for a new yoke. Very simply this material is not up to the task.

IMG_1682.jpg
IMG_2022.jpg

When we have BMW X5's (2 different ones), this "peeling" used to happen to the steering wheels as well. The service center blame it on sunscreen or lotion we put on our hands and then rubbed on the steering wheels. Ever since we switched to Tesla's 4 years ago, the wheels have been fine with no peeling. I wonder if Tesla switched supplier for steering wheel cover for Yoke.

I have the same problem the first one started failing after 7 months and 6k miles replaced a month later under warranty.
The failure was at the lower left corner of the yoke in the same place as rborovoy yoke above.
The second one on schedule started failing after 7 months of service in the same place and the same failure mode.
BUT this time they want me to pay for a new yoke. Very simply this material is not up to the task.

View attachment 863953View attachment 863954

This should be covered under warranty as it is clearly a defect since material is failing so early on.. How much do they wanna charge for this replacement ?

NOW....we know why quality steering wheels are leather. Here is my yoke after 10,000 miles. I hope Tesla switches to leather.....soon!View attachment 864237
Fake leather is fine. My Lexus, Tesla Model 3 and older Tesla Model X all got fake leather and they all do not peel. From the picture, the Yoke steering wheel looks like it is cover in thin layer of plastic dip or something LOL.

My 21 LR S has < 6,000 miles, I've never put lotion on my hands - my yoke looks just like Ed Harts in post 17, I have an appointment for them to replace it under warranty- I had hoped they just had a bad batch, but since I've seen so many of them, I think it's a design defect. However, the cause is likely when you get in and out of the car, your thigh (actually your jeans?) rub the yoke right there- and it takes very little rubbing to wear through. I think it would be great to go back to a more durable material such as leather, but the Peta people would have a fit, which is how we got to the synthetic seats (and subsequently the synthetic yoke material) in the first place. many years ago, there was someone that stood up at the shareholders meeting and basically badgered Elon about the use of leather. He caved and this is the result. They took quite a while to make the steering wheels out of materials other than leather, because of durability issues, They switched to synthetics on the 3 a while back, But I only read about the Yokes having this peeling issue. I hope they find a reasonable fix even if they do have to return to leather. but I'm not holding my breath.