Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke peeling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many SCs are providing it as a warranty replacement

As usual ….

Someone somewhere had a nice thing done for them, outside of policy.

Then they blabbed online.

Others began demanding the same.

Now there’s a policy against doing the nice thing.

Happens all.the.time.

I’m guessing the same thing happened here.

As usual ….

Someone somewhere had a nice thing done for them, outside of policy.

Then they blabbed online.

Others began demanding the same.

Now there’s a policy against doing the nice thing.

Happens all.the.time.

I’m guessing the same thing happened here.
No. It's wide spread. Charlotte NC is still doing it and has replaced many. There are multiple people here from all over the country that have been offered it or had it done.

Some SCs just suck.

They actually brought both out for me to decide a few weeks ago. The tech told me about half are going to the wheel and half are staying with a yoke.

Some SCs don't fix rattles under warranty, but it appears most do. Service varies by location. Some SCs still have a loaner program. It's obviously not consistent with Tesla.

Sadly I have been playing the Tesla game for a long time and know this/have experienced that previously. In the situation that I am describing, the service person came and got me in the waiting room of the service center and told me that they were about to replace the peeling yoke with a round wheel but that it was be $1,000 or something and needed my approval. I showed him the chat in the app I had with someone there that guaranteed me it would be a warrantied replacement. He said it didn't matter what someone said through the chat in the app, today he cannot replace a yoke with a round wheel under warranty.

This is one of the many reasons that this is my last Tesla. I am tired of being treated with contempt after spending $$$ with this company for so many years.
Good luck finding something that is comparable. I have tested other higher end EV’s and their charging network just stinks and I feel like a second class citizen at some of these chargers. I just don’t get how the non Tesla charging network is so bad, so unreliable and lack of infrastructure. No biggie if you never travel, but if you do, then that impacts anyone’s decision to buy a non Tesla EV. Sure hope the non Tesla charging network gets better quickly, but I seriously doubt it, as been saying that for a while now.

Case in point, on Ohio Turnpike has new Tesla and CCS chargers at their rest stops. About 12 Tesla chargers and 4 EA chargers. Tesla chargers are plug and play and charger consistently, like all Tesla chargers. I rented a Lucid Air this weekend and two of the 350w chargers were unavailable and the 150w charger only charged 7mi per minute. How can newer chargers already not work and also charge so slow? Plus, the plug is so clumsy compared to Tesla. And only 4 compared to 12 to Tesla? Also - tried another one by my house and same story. 4 compared to 12 Tesla. Also - an EV was sitting at EA for an hour and was already charged. That should never happen, especially with so few chargers and was at the 350w one too. Why are all EA chargers not 350w?

Luckily, I have never had an issue with Tesla service and barely an issue with my Model S LR refresh (knock on wood). Experience has been outstanding the last 23 months.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yelobird
I just asked Tesla service about my appointment regarding if this is the final revision and here is what they said.

Attachments

• IMG_3466.jpeg
    IMG_3466.jpeg
    191.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Informative
Reactions: 1100MCM
They offered me yesterday the round wheel for free so it’s still a deal. Also I’m getting current version this weekend and if it peels then they will replace again for free under factory warranty. I’m so sick of driving around looking like a junkyard yoke. It’s embarrassing.
Same, mine was a few weeks ago.

It's a known that SC are run/act differently. Mine always has loaners and some claim Tesla as a company no longer supports loaners (which is obviously BS), but the point of this is that we are discussing and showing the solutions offered by our SCs because others are experiencing peeling yokes.

We are also stating what our SCs are offering to fix it. It appears most SCs are allowing free wheel conversions as the newest yokes still peel. They likely see it as a cost saving option.

This is useful because some could show on here that other SCs are offering free wheel option as a replacement and maybe it will change their policy, even though that is unlikely, it's possible.

It's pretty widespread to call it a one off, but it is likely they are just doing it locally and it's not some company option.

Good luck finding something that is comparable. I have tested other higher end EV’s and their charging network just stinks and I feel like a second class citizen at some of these chargers. I just don’t get how the non Tesla charging network is so bad, so unreliable and lack of infrastructure. No biggie if you never travel, but if you do, then that impacts anyone’s decision to buy a non Tesla EV. Sure hope the non Tesla charging network gets better quickly, but I seriously doubt it, as been saying that for a while now.

Case in point, on Ohio Turnpike has new Tesla and CCS chargers at their rest stops. About 12 Tesla chargers and 4 EA chargers. Tesla chargers are plug and play and charger consistently, like all Tesla chargers. I rented a Lucid Air this weekend and two of the 350w chargers were unavailable and the 150w charger only charged 7mi per minute. How can newer chargers already not work and also charge so slow? Plus, the plug is so clumsy compared to Tesla. And only 4 compared to 12 to Tesla? Also - tried another one by my house and same story. 4 compared to 12 Tesla. Also - an EV was sitting at EA for an hour and was already charged. That should never happen, especially with so few chargers and was at the 350w one too. Why are all EA chargers not 350w?

Luckily, I have never had an issue with Tesla service and barely an issue with my Model S LR refresh (knock on wood). Experience has been outstanding the last 23 months.

Agreed on the charging infrastructure. That competitive moat will be drained when all of the other manufacturers start adopting NACS in the next 2 years. At that point, at least in the luxury segment, there will be so many more competitive options to the S except for on the metric of raw speed as since the Plaid rules the roost for that when price is taken into account. The charging infrastructure is what got me into a second Tesla and I assume many others are/were in my same boat. I hope that the $$$ that Tesla makes off opening up their network is more valuable than the $$$ that they lose to people buying other brands of EVs now that there is are other reasonable options if you want to have an EV AND charge at places aside from your house with ease.

Reactions: DBV1 and zoomer0056
Can confirm this guy is incorrect. Made an appt at a difference service center 2 hours away and replacement wheel under warranty for my peeling yoke is no problem.
Yep. This is what I was told as well in PA service center.

They decided to have me come in this Thursday instead of mobile tech and they will do it while I wait. Super excited to get a normal yoke again.

I’m tired of scratching at it like peeling skin off of your sunburned skin.

Anyone know when the new yoke is coming out? (rev I?)

They originally told me August, then next month every month following. I feel like I should just take it instead of pushing it back and try to get a yoke replacement again if it peels off again.
The last I read, from a previous post in this thread, is 1st quarter 2024. I have an appt the second week in November. I bet it'll be pushed out later.

I was referring to the post stating that they wouldn’t grant a free Round wheel change. Many have already confirmed they will replace a faulty yoke in most all cases.
As @uscbucsfan says below you, that is exactly what happened to me yesterday. Closer service center said no replacement wheel under warranty for my peeling yoke. They said Tesla doesn't do this for anyone and anyone that says differently on owner's groups/the internet is lying. I make an appt with a different service center 2 hours away and they instantly agree to replace my peeling yoke with a round wheel under warranty.

Reactions: zoomer0056
As @uscbucsfan says below you, that is exactly what happened to me yesterday. Closer service center said no replacement wheel under warranty for my peeling yoke. They said Tesla doesn't do this for anyone and anyone that says differently on owner's groups/the internet is lying. I make an appt with a different service center 2 hours away and they instantly agree to replace my peeling yoke with a round wheel under warranty.
You should go back to the previous SC and shove the work order in his face. Stating only BS is from your SC.