Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke peeling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You’re not wrong. Just wish I could see all the driver’s display with a wheel, and I’d switch. The other concern is that hand placement is different from the yoke and it’s easier to use the turn signals with the yoke. Didn’t see that one coming when I was testing the wheel out at Tesla.
Agree with you that going back to normal wheel makes it a lot harder to see the drivers infotainment display. Just can’t give up my Yoke as long as I own a Tesla.

Reactions: zoomer0056
You’re not wrong. Just wish I could see all the driver’s display with a wheel, and I’d switch. The other concern is that hand placement is different from the yoke and it’s easier to use the turn signals with the yoke. Didn’t see that one coming when I was testing the wheel out at Tesla.
I had some concerns about the driver's display based upon what I had read but I can honestly say that the wheel blocks none of the display for me. I am 5'9'' so I am not sure if I am in the sweet spot to see it or what but I was able to adjust the new wheel perfectly to see everything.

Hand placement is different but I have no more difficulty using the turn signals that I did previously. In my opinion, the turn signals/horn placement and implementation was poor on the yolk and that hasn't changed on the wheel.

• Informative
Reactions: DBV1 and Blue Stuff
I had some concerns about the driver's display based upon what I had read but I can honestly say that the wheel blocks none of the display for me. I am 5'9'' so I am not sure if I am in the sweet spot to see it or what but I was able to adjust the new wheel perfectly to see everything.

Hand placement is different but I have no more difficulty using the turn signals that I did previously. In my opinion, the turn signals/horn placement and implementation was poor on the yolk and that hasn't changed on the wheel.
Yep, being 5'9" probably helps a lot! I'm 6'5".

Reactions: phaphaphooey
I have been waiting for the replacement yoke, but when I requested it today the part number listed is the G. Think I will try to find a way to contact them about waiting for the H.
The H version is current pealing version. I think the new letter will be "I". H is being pug on but is not the new material. See this post

I have a 2022 Tesla model X with the yoke steering wheel
The original Yoke started to peel and was replaced replaced by Tesla for free with the new model G version Yoke
This yoke lasted approx 3000 miles and this yoke has started to peel again
I decided to get the Italian Napa Leather wrapped yoke from RPM
It cost me $699 and I give RPM my Yoke steering part exchange
I cannot be bothered getting another Yoke from Tesla when I know it will not last long
I cannot believe Tesla would install such a crap quality yoke steering wheel on an expensive car

The original Yoke started to peel and was replaced replaced by Tesla for free with the new model G version Yoke
I cannot be bothered getting another Yoke from Tesla when I know it will not last long
I cannot believe Tesla would install such a crap quality yoke steering wheel on an expensive car
Especially after 2 years and still not right. Horsepoop.

That looks really nice. How was the install?

As an update, I am now the proud owner of a steering wheel replaced under warranty due to my yoke peeling. I cannot overstate how much better this makes the driving experience on anything but straight ahead interstate driving. I underestimated the impact it would have on driving the car as it is so much more enjoyable now to be able to maneuver the car with an honest to goodness steering wheel and a nicely designed one at that. I am elated.

I’m going to be doing the same thing, appointment for early December. No doubt it’s total user preference and I actually really enjoy the yoke (less arm strain, more visibility, etc). However, these constant delays make me feel like even the next revision will not fix this issue long term. Tesla is also charging for the yoke on a new S/X. I’m also hoping that the wheel will be more engaging for spirited driving, cornering with the yoke is not ideal.

Reactions: zoomer0056
abomination
A lot of emotion in that word.
1000025856.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Blue Stuff
A friend with Plaid called to ask what I had done. He is on Yoke #3, and Tesla has told him that the next one will cost him...even though the person told him that they are having serious quality problems on the yoke. He is not happy, but not willing to change to a wheel...which is apparently the only solution that Tesla has. This is insane customer service.

A friend with Plaid called to ask what I had done. He is on Yoke #3, and Tesla has told him that the next one will cost him...even though the person told him that they are having serious quality problems on the yoke. He is not happy, but not willing to change to a wheel...which is apparently the only solution that Tesla has. This is insane customer service.
I put this on my yoke to get me by until the new version is available.
It’s Alcanterra, and it is actually very nice and easy to install.