Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke peeling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla made a mistake by giving into the environmentalists and not using leather.
Yes, of course.

It would be stupid for Tesla, a company whose sole purpose is accelerate our transition to a sustainable future, to "give into [sic] environmentalists . . . "

Perhaps if you had a bit more knowledge you would not make such absurd statements?

Animal agriculture is responsible for 18 percent of greenhouse gas emissions, more than the combined exhaust from all transportation.

"Livestock's Long Shadow: environmental issues and options". Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Rome 2006

Source:

Or are you like so many here, acting as follows?

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

Winston Churchill

Last edited:
My service guy said that Tesla is offering a one time warranty for their pealing yokes. Said they would replace mine under warranty right now, or that I could wait till the newer model is released, and have that one done under warranty. I decided to wait for the improved one, quietly hoping it will come with a center horn button.
No center button horn is planned per my contacts. Sorry.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Had my yoke replaced with a new one. I tried several different ways to get them to replace it with a round one and they wouldn't budge. I ordered a round wheel and am getting it installed next week at which point i'll be selling the 2 week old yoke i have now.
If Tesla sells the yoke option for 1k, I have to think your 2 week old part is worth something on the used market.

Yes, of course.

It would be stupid for Tesla, a company whose sole purpose is accelerate our transition to a sustainable future, to "give into [sic] environmentalists . . . "

Perhaps if you had a bit more knowledge you would not make such absurd statements?

Animal agriculture is responsible for 18 percent of greenhouse gas emissions, more than the combined exhaust from all transportation.

"Livestock's Long Shadow: environmental issues and options". Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Rome 2006

Source:

Or are you like so many here, acting as follows?

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

Winston Churchill

Good point, but...

I recall how Elon rolled over to that environmentalist lady on the earnings call regarding eliminating leather on the wheel.

This after the Vegan Leather change for the seats and trim.

Leather has its place. A steering wheel is a great example. I wrapped the wheel on the old car in '96 and it's still good after 477k miles.

I wonder how many yokes I would go though in that time and use. Plastic in the landfill has quite the environmental footprint.

Hindsight now, but the could have offered a leather
option from invasive species like feral hogs or Florida pythons, and charged more for it.

Good point, but...

I recall how Elon rolled over to that environmentalist lady on the earnings call regarding eliminating leather on the wheel.

This after the Vegan Leather change for the seats and trim.

Leather has its place. A steering wheel is a great example. I wrapped the wheel on the old car in '96 and it's still good after 477k miles.

I wonder how many yokes I would go though in that time and use. Plastic in the landfill has quite the environmental footprint.

Hindsight now, but the could have offered a leather
option from invasive species like feral hogs or Florida pythons, and charged more for it.
Yes, leather has it's place: it's the skin of a sentient being. It belongs to that sentient being.

I remain at how many conflate the issue here. This is a YOKE (joke) not a WHEEL. A yoke has sharper edges vs. the continuous radius of a wheel. It WILL wear at those edges and in other areas, regardless of the material. This was an Elon miss and I am very pleased that they have made the yoke/joke a $1k option vs. standard.

Now if they would just fix the damn horn and turn signals we'd be in great shape . . . .

Revision H still has all the issues of prior versions.
Not sure if you saw my last ticket I put in Billy, but I've given up at this point. I've waited since April when my third one started to go and they told me the "engineers" were making a new one expected to be out in June. It's untenable at this point. Going to use the next yoke melting as a que to get a new S. Figure at this rate, I'll be getting one this spring.

Yes, leather has it's place: it's the skin of a sentient being. It belongs to that sentient being.

I remain at how many conflate the issue here. This is a YOKE (joke) not a WHEEL. A yoke has sharper edges vs. the continuous radius of a wheel. It WILL wear at those edges and in other areas, regardless of the material. This was an Elon miss and I am very pleased that they have made the yoke/joke a $1k option vs. standard.

Now if they would just fix the damn horn and turn signals we'd be in great shape . . . .

So far, my yoke is in great shape. However, I handle it with kid skin gloves, so to speak.😉.

It's hard to imagine the turn signal stalks will ever come back, but there is hope for the horn.

Tesla made a mistake by giving into the environmentalists and not using leather.
I have great concern for the environment (although I wouldn’t consider myself an “environmentalist”), and I agree with you. Most leather hide is a byproduct of other uses. In other words, cows aren’t being killed to make leather interior for cars. If unused, that material is scrapped. This might change if the world eats significantly less beef, but we aren’t there yet and likely never will be.

Good summary of the current situation, from the industry: U.S. Leather and Hide Industry 2020 Year End Review; 2021 Projections | LHCA

More important in the eyes of many U.S. hides and skins suppliers, though, is the global leather demand situation, and the rise of synthetic products as alternatives to leather. The leather industry has experienced an extremely tough market in the last several years, which has been strained further by the COVID-19 pandemic. In fact, in spring 2020, U.S. steer hide value accounted for less than one percent of the entire value of the animal – likely the lowest percentage on record – after COVID-related plant shutdowns pressured the U.S. cattle and beef markets.

Despite marginal improvements in hide prices in the latter half of 2020, the industry is poised to once again contend with slumping global demand, weak prices, and disinformation campaigns that seek to intentionally mischaracterize leather’s environmental impact. Plastic synthetics and plant-based alternatives that imitate leather, but are not real leather, have taken significant market share away from the material in consumer product areas such as footwear and automobile upholstery. The situation is so dire that lower quality hides and skins are being composted and destroyed rather than processed into leather – a trend that we first reported in 2019 and has continued as market incentives to process and distribute certain hides have diminished.

Why are we making synthetic/alternative materials while wasting/scrapping an existing, arguably superior, material? The alternatives are often made out of petroleum/plastics, aren’t recyclable, aren’t biodegradable, and in some cases, don’t hold up as well.

Last edited:

That's not even what is happening to most. It's literally melting per Tesla's official internal bulletin. Even if you never drive the car, it will eventually peel.

Mine and many started at the top corners, where we never touch. The SC showed me the bulletin that there was nothing we could do because the material melts.

The rest of your post is not worth arguing over and really unrelated to the peeling yoke or the car.

That's not even what is happening to most. It's literally melting per Tesla's official internal bulletin. Even if you never drive the car, it will eventually peel.

Mine and many started at the top corners, where we never touch. The SC showed me the bulletin that there was nothing we could do because the material melts.

The rest of your post is not worth arguing over and really unrelated to the peeling yoke or the car.
While I do believe in some cases it’s melting, do you have evidence of this bulletin? I’ve never heard anything about it on an “official” level.

Reactions: Pdubs
While I do believe in some cases it’s melting, do you have evidence of this bulletin? I’ve never heard anything about it…
No. They showed it to me when they showed me the new part number that was originally scheduled for September, but told me that, with all things Tesla, it would be a while after that.

He said his opinion was that the material was too tight and thin to hold up to sun or wear. He just showed it to me when I pre-emptively defended that we never hold the wheel there and he told me not to worry, Tesla/he believes me.

It was something like, Material on Yoke melting due to sun, fix...new version "X" due in September and shipping in October globally.

• Informative
Reactions: Pdubs and WilliamG
He said his opinion was that the material was too tight and thin to hold up to sun or wear. He just showed it to me when I pre-emptively defended that we never hold the wheel there and he told me not to worry, Tesla/he believes me.

^^^This. Just look at the distortion in the grain due to excessive stretching at the corners. Poor design and mfg.

Why are we making synthetic/alternative materials while wasting/scrapping an existing, arguably superior, material? The alternatives are often made out of petroleum/plastics, aren’t recyclable, aren’t biodegradable, and in some cases, don’t hold up as well.
Human stupidity knows no bounds.

New Yoke with mechanical horn is finally here:

Part 1965131-00-A

STEERING WHEEL ASSEMBLY PUR - MECHANICAL HORN
Steering Yoke 1965131-00-A must use yoke DAB 1965182-00-A. Firmware update required.

I'll request service replace my peeling yoke and will let you know how it goes.
Great news regarding the horn, hope they fixed the peeling issue also.

Reactions: aerodyne
New Yoke with mechanical horn is finally here:

Part 1965131-00-A

STEERING WHEEL ASSEMBLY PUR - MECHANICAL HORN
Steering Yoke 1965131-00-A must use yoke DAB 1965182-00-A. Firmware update required.

I'll request service replace my peeling yoke and will let you know how it goes.
Awesome! I've seen that part number from another post citing a parts catalog. Will be good to see it in the wild. Take pics of your service , old vs new. Show new part number if you can see it. Will you get mobile or SC service?

Last edited: