Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke peeling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Made an appointment yesterday for today, and the new yoke is in. The material seems a bit more durable. Just as comfortable The haptics seem the same, though the turn signals do seem a bit more responsive and easier for me to use.

No staccato horn by palming the right side. I wonder if Enhauto’s buttons can do that?
I efing hate palming the right side. I turn on cruise control, do the weird staccato horn, and turns on my wipers.

I'm in SF Bay Area. I just picked up my car from the Sunnyvale Service Center and got my mechanical yoke replaced. Scheduled it last week, they said the parts were available, and painlessly installed it in the same day (today).

Buttons feel the same to me but I've only driven a few miles.

Horn is slighty elevated as it's a mechanical horn. There's new stiching. Cushion/comfort feels the same. The former horn button is now the camera button; no complaints as I frequently use the camera button.

Now... I have to un-remember my muscle memory of looking for the haptic horn button, LOL.

Attachments

• IMG_6006.jpeg
    IMG_6006.jpeg
    497.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6002.jpeg
    IMG_6002.jpeg
    576.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6001.jpeg
    IMG_6001.jpeg
    265.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5999.jpeg
    IMG_5999.jpeg
    405.6 KB · Views: 17
My SC told me they would replace my yoke as soon as there is a software update for cars with FSD. Has anyone here with FSD gotten the replacement yoke?
Yes. Plenty of us. As has been mentioned before, the TSB calls for 2024.2.7 which is not necessary. But some SCs are following that instruction fully and won’t install the new yoke otherwise.

Yes. Plenty of us. As has been mentioned before, the TSB calls for 2024.2.7 which is not necessary. But some SCs are following that instruction fully and won’t install the new yoke otherwise.
Thats interesting. I'll run that by them. I'm on 12.3 (2023.44.30.25) so the FSD would be a step back but the update would be a later version.
When you say it is not necessary, do you mean the center horn and camera button works without upgrading?

Reactions: Pdubs
Thats interesting. I'll run that by them. I'm on 12.3 (2023.44.30.25) so the FSD would be a step back but the update would be a later version.
When you say it is not necessary, do you mean the center horn and camera button works without upgrading?
That's exactly what I'm saying. I'm on the same version as you, btw. You won't get a downgraded FSD version, so you have no path to 2024.2.7 anyway at this point. The tech needs to install the new yoke, new airbag module, and then update the configuration in your car (connecting their laptop to the port above your wireless charging pads) to tell the car you have mechanical-horned yoke. NO software update is required for you.

1711406616419.png

That's exactly what I'm saying. I'm on the same version as you, btw. You won't get a downgraded FSD version, so you have no path to 2024.2.7 anyway at this point. The tech needs to install the new yoke, new airbag module, and then update the configuration in your car (connecting their laptop to the port above your wireless charging pads) to tell the car you have mechanical-horned yoke. NO software update is required for you.

View attachment 1032061
That is great news. Thank you.
Now to get the SC to go along with that plan…

• Funny
Reactions: cwanja and Pdubs

View attachment 1032061
Incidentally they seem to have removed the change wheel configuration button in newer software variants. Unclear if the consumer version of toolbox can still do it (if it can, I’d 100% try retrofitting the wheel without the airbag)

My car is under 9 months and under 9k miles. Last driving it felt gummy by the upper left grip area. Material just goes up. No rubbing.
Yea. That's the common problem w the old Yoke design.

Ranger came out for me on Tuesday, said they just started Monday w the new Yokes. The new yoke soooo much better. Leather feels better. Less sticky. Stitching I like more too. Phew. Finally back to a clean yoke!

You have to wait for it to peel, but an appointment and 25 min w a ranger and all is new!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240327-210217.png
    Screenshot_20240327-210217.png
    1,008.2 KB · Views: 12
Got mine replaced today at Eatonville (Orlando). Its pretty nice.
Made request last Friday, they said the part was in stock and set apt for Tuesday. Sunday messaged me and said they had to move my appointment because the part had not come in yet, but they only moved it 2 days (today).

The SA told me that SC are getting big bulk shipments of them this week, so hopefully everyone can get a new one soon.
BTW, no software update needed for those of us not wanting to lose FSD V12.3

Question for those of you with the new yoke. There was only one cool thing about the mis-placement of the horn button on the old yoke: if you placed your entire palm over all the buttons on the right, the horn let out a rapid-fire staccato horn sound. Scared the c**p out of other drivers who were about to screw up bad. That, I admit, has been pretty awesome. I wonder if the new yokes do the same?
I just tried that with my new yoke. That "feature" has been deleted. I used to like it.