Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You guys really pull into a Nissan dealer with your CHAdeMO adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have not charged at a Nissan dealer. But I might. At one within the range circle of my Leaf. As a set-up.

I would be super friendly. If they were rude or crossed the line in other ways... leave in the Model S. Come back in the Leaf. Plug the Leaf into the charger. Go find the person who was rude. Ask if they can accompany me to the senior person on-site at the moment. Rip into them...

Ah... fantasies... aren't they fun?

I'm sure I'll never actually do that. :)

I'll be traveling from Dallas to Nashville soon and will be utilizing CHAdeMO at a Nissan dealership in Memphis. I've called ahead and they were very nice about it.

Holy cow, do I wish Tesla would put a Supercharger in Little Rock, AR, though.

I live in Memphis and am curious - which dealership? I may stop by just to say hello and thanks.

I recently stopped at 1 of the 3 which was in plugshare, but could find no ChaDemo (4 j1772). I was going to stop and ask but the sales guys were circling like vultures, so I just drove away.

Last edited:
I live in Memphis and am curious - which dealership? I may stop by just to say hello and thanks.

I recently stopped at 1 of the 3 which was in plugshare, but could find no ChaDemo (4 j1772). I was going to stop and ask but the sales guys were circling like vultures, so I just drove away.

I was planning on using Wolfchase. There were three CHAdeMO stations on PlugShare, but the central one doesn't have it up and running yet. When I called, they said "maybe in the summer but we do have the hardware onsite."

Great thread I just found. I have tried all the Nissan Dealers in DFW & Austin. The 2 in Austin were very nice and accommodating:
TownNorthNissan.jpg
ClayCooleyNissan.jpg

I have had problems with 3 of the DFW Nissan Dealers:

AutoNation Lewisville, completely ICE'd.
AutoNation.jpg

Grubbs Nissan also completely ICE'd.
GrubbsNissan.jpg

Trophy Nissan would NOT let me charge! I called PlugShare, they said the problem is this location won't read cards?
TrophyNissan.jpg

The 4th DFW Nissan Dealer was interesting. PlugShare says "For Nissan LEAF's ONLY," and it has horrible reviews. I went anyway to try it. Not only was I able to charge, but the salesman said it just opened up 2 days earlier. I had to give good reviews on PlugShare here: http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/2236
FtWorthNissan.jpg

Look Teslaholics this isn't some secret society here. Drive up to the Nissan Dealer, walk inside and announce yourself and politely ask to use the charger....

Really no different than asking to use the John in a private business.

I think that's always good advice. Don't just assume... ask.

Some private businesses will let you, other won't, just like some businesses won't let non-customers use the John.

Jay and I had luck just pulling up to the Town North Nissan dealership, just north of Austin the evening after we testified at the capitol. The salespeople didn't seem to care, even though we arrived after they closed. Plug in adapter, swipe card, plug in, start charging. It was ~55KW, too.

You guys in the north just need to move to the south. I charged at two Nissan dealers today in Alabama. My experience in Decatur, AL was extraordinary. I had not planned to stop, but I got range anxiety and added a stop on the way. That location was a drop in and I was treated like a celebrity with no less than four employees checking out the Model S and helping me get the adapter connected to the charger. Southern hospitality at its best.

I was short on range this weekend down in LA and called Glendale Nissan. Spoke to a super nice sales associate who double checked that both their level 2 chargers were available. He didn't even hesitate! Sometimes, just need to ask for what you want nicely :)

Do they have signs or is there someone chasing Teslas away? I think the trick is to say "Is this a public charging spot or not? If it isn't, I'll happily get it removed from Plugshare"

I'm told there is a sign posted saying "Nissan Leaf Only" and one Model S owner I'm aware of was asked to leave. As for pulling it off PlugShare, I don't think that's appropriate as it is still publicly available to Leafs. No different than Tesla HPWC Destination Chargers being on PlugShare when only Teslas can use them.

Mitsubishi Canada headquarters, with their own CHAdeMO, is also nearby, and both are not too far from where I live. I'll have to take a drive by and check them out. (I hope I'm not confusing the restrictions noted above between the Nissan and Mitsubishi headquarters, but I'm pretty sure I had heard it was Nissan).

Honestly, I wouldn't charge at a Nissan dealership out of principle. While I appreciate any goodwill granted by Nissan dealerships, I know they are not in the goodwill business. They are there to sell Nissan cars. And I'm not buying one. Perhaps if I could pay them for the charger use, then I would consider it.
In south O.C. - most (if not all) QC's are run by 3rd party companies - & the dealer doesn't give a rip now days, who used it. The 3rd party company makes their money ... they give a cut to the dealer for the inconvenience of loosing a parking spot, then often block the spot anyway, with one of their ICE cars. The less tacky dealership are strategic enough to use one of their Leaf's to (in essence) ICE the stall.

There is a CHAdeMO station at Nissan Canada's headquarters near Toronto. It's been there for a while. After the Model S CHAdeMO adapter came out, they posted a sign saying Leaf Only and chased away at least one Model S owner I know (before the sign was posted, I believe). I think the sentiment is "if we can't use your Superchargers, you can't use our CHAdeMOs".

...... How about, make an EV that can HANDLE the power of a SuperCharger and then you won't have to install CHAdeMOs everywhere..... Again, can't fix stupid.

I think if a Nissan dealership allows you to charge, maybe you should take a box of donuts or some Starbucks for them as a way of saying thanks :)

I brought back a box of chocolates to the sales team in Memphis when we came back. I just told them that since I can't pay them for the electricity I used, I at least wanted to do something nice. I hope that goes a long way for other Tesla owners that want to charge.