Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You guys really pull into a Nissan dealer with your CHAdeMO adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We'll soon get to see if that's really true. There's at least one Tesla to J1772 adapter coming to market. Once it does, someone is bound to try and charge their non-Tesla EV at a Tesla store or service center...wonder what the answer will be.

That adapter is to allow use of a Tesla HPWC (or UMC), not a Supercharger. Attempting to use a Supercharger with an adapter to the J1772 plug would fail since Tesla has a mechanism to determine even which Model S's are "Supercharger-enabled" and thus allowed to use them.

That adapter is to allow use of a Tesla HPWC (or UMC), not a Supercharger. Attempting to use a Supercharger with an adapter to the J1772 plug would fail since Tesla has a mechanism to determine even which Model S's are "Supercharger-enabled" and thus allowed to use them.

Not to mention the adapters I've seen discussed aren't of the J1772-2009, aka CCS, aka "Frakendapter" variety needed for DC fast charging...

Not to mention the adapters I've seen discussed aren't of the J1772-2009, aka CCS, aka "Frakendapter" variety needed for DC fast charging...
Yes, yes, I already clarified that above. People should really read to the end of a thread before replying.

Yes, yes, I already clarified that above. People should really read to the end of a thread before replying.

Well, you may want to read the question you responded to initially :wink:...

You actually quoted this question you were answering in your post:

Hmmm, curious. What will happen if someone tries to connect a Volt or Leaf to a Supercharger? Or is this only for L2 Tesla stations?

So when you said "We will find out..." it appears you were answering that question. Thanks for your subsequent correction.

I don't think a supercharger plug would fit in a J1772 socket. So I don't think you can plug that in a Leaf.
Well no, but on the Chademo connector... If Chademo -> Model S is possible, then the reverse is also possible. Has anyone ever done a CANBUS "monitor all" of both a Supercharger and Chademo charging session? My understanding is that the charger tells the car what it is capable of, and then the car tells the charger how much voltage and current to supply every 100ms or so.

Haven't seen it mentioned in this thread yet so I'll state it; if your charging on the Chademo with your Model S DON'T LEAVE YOU CAR. Someone in a Leaf who maybe almost out of juice and only needs 5 minutes on the Chademo to get home could be blocked by you plugging in, locking your car and disappearing for 2 hours. Also if a Leaf comes in out of juice and your blocking their only Chademo they are not going to be very happy with you. Either stay inside the car or stay within eye contact of the charger and your Model S.

Haven't seen it mentioned in this thread yet so I'll state it; if your charging on the Chademo with your Model S DON'T LEAVE YOU CAR. Someone in a Leaf who maybe almost out of juice and only needs 5 minutes on the Chademo to get home could be blocked by you plugging in, locking your car and disappearing for 2 hours. Also if a Leaf comes in out of juice and your blocking their only Chademo they are not going to be very happy with you. Either stay inside the car or stay within eye contact of the charger and your Model S.
The CHAdeMO Adapter locks to the car, the CHAdeMO Plug from the station, can be disconnected from the adapter, same as a J1772 can be disconnected from the adapter leaving the adapter locked to the car yet the plug from the station free to be "Reused"
So that Leaf driver could disconnect you and juice up.

The CHAdeMO Adapter locks to the car, the CHAdeMO Plug from the station, can be disconnected from the adapter, same as a J1772 can be disconnected from the adapter leaving the adapter locked to the car yet the plug from the station free to be "Reused"
That's assuming that the the other driver (Leaf or otherwise) can even REACH the DC FC from that other spot, if any.

(As a Leafer w/CHAdeMO inlet) I've personally run into cases where the Leaf driver left their car, they were well below their L2 speed, the they left no contact info and either the cable definitely wouldn't reach to any nearby location (other areas blocked by other cars or other obstacles) OR, I didn't know about their actual need and didn't know if they'd be pissed if I stopped their charge.

Most of the time, I or another person in line ahead of me was totally blocked. Wouldn't have helped to disconnect the Leaf w/driver MIA.

In another case, I was at Walgreens | San Jose, CA | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare and there was a Leafer already charging. I parked right next to him and asked him to plug me in when he was done as I grabbed a (take out) bite to eat. Unfortunately, he finished and found the cable wouldn't reach. It worked out ok though. By the time I returned, he was on his way out... Probably lost 3 mins of charging, tops... but still.

I wouldn't say that the rule should be stay w/your or within sight of it.... if you're going to leave it on CHAdeMO, PLEASE leave contact info. And, if possible, also leave a sign w/criteria as to when it's ok to unplug.

I have a 2-sided sign that I leave on my dash that says this, depending on the DC FC type:
Please feel free to call me if either my car has ramped/tapered down to power level of 17 A (amps) or below OR you urgently need to DC fast charge.

Please feel free to call me if either my car has ramped/tapered down to power level of 7.0 kW or below OR you urgently need to DC fast charge.

followed by my cell #.

Last edited:

Yes, but its terribly impolite to unplug another's vehicle which is charging. And a LEAF person might not have a clue as to whether a Model S is charging or not, even with the LCD display commonly found on the CHAdeMO pedestal.

The title of this thread is of using CHAdeMO at Nissan dealers and I suggest if one is the guest of a Nissan dealer then one should stick close to one's car so as to happily disconnect briefly if others need.

Well, you may want to read the question you responded to initially :wink:...

You actually quoted this question you were answering in your post:
Originally Posted by jomo25 viewpost-right.png Hmmm, curious. What will happen if someone tries to connect a Volt or Leaf to a Supercharger? Or is this only for L2 Tesla stations?

So when you said "We will find out..." it appears you were answering that question. Thanks for your subsequent correction.
Actually, no that question came later. I quoted this statement in my initial post,...

Originally Posted by MartinAustin
Tesla does allow it, in fact they welcome it. If you can find a non-Tesla car that can hook up to Tesla Superchargers... you can use it, no problem.
... NOT a question, and the thrust of the statement was permission to use Tesla charging, NOT ability. He was being tongue-in-cheek since Superchargers are NOT accessible by other cars, and I thought everyone would understand that. Anyway, I thought it was far from a slam-dunk that Tesla would let other cars charge even at the facilities where it would be technically feasible.

In response to the jomo25 question you quoted, I said:
davewill said:
Strictly L2. That's why I specified a store or service center. It will be analogous to this situation where a Tesla owner drops in on a Nissan dealer to charge.

While you could physically plug in a Supercharger, nothing would happen.
Meaning that the upcoming adapter wouldn't actually work with a Supercharger even though you could physically insert the connector.

Last edited:
Hey kids,

I'm a complete newbie. My P85 arrives in 2 weeks. I just bought a CHAdeMO adapter. Some locations say eVgo membership required. Can someone please explain what this is?

No worries, I was there not that long ago. Just go to NRG eVgo — Electric Vehicle Charging Solutions | TX, CA, Atlanta, D.C. and sign up for a plan. They have 3 plans available, depending on what your needs are. I went with the Flex plan since I don't get into DFW all the time (no monthly fee and the DC fast charge $4.95 + 20 cents a minute).

They will send you a card that you just keep in your wallet and you use it each time you need a charge.

Ah--yet another charging card I should get that I did not know about. Anyone: What charging cards do you know about?

GE WattStations use a Smartphone and a QR code on the station. Just open the app and point the camera at the QR code. You still need to create an account. No CHAdeMOs from them that I know of.
Blink (shudder) does have CHAdeMO chargers, mostly at Cracker Barrels. You do need their card.
ChargePoint usually requires a card, but I've been able to start a session with my phone. Just make sure your GPS is on. They use Eaton CHAdeMOs. VERY nice!
GreenLots uses a card, but you might be able to call them. They have CHAdeMOs.
AV AeroVironment is usually free without the need for a card, but there are some cities that have made it where you need the card. I haven't seen a CHAdeMO from them, yet.
NRG evGo uses a card (like JMG said) and their CHAdeMO chargers are some of the fastest I've seen along with ChargePoint.