Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You will love Level 1 charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
if you got the same quote I got from an electrician to install a NEMA plug in my garage.

Given that I live in a condo where the breaker is on the second floor by the laundry room. It still seems excessive for the amount I was quoted.

Here is the quote for your entertainment:

pb9OKnp.png

Level 1 will do for now until we moved to a single family home.
$1200 for a NEMA 14-50 in my garage, about 80' from the panel, on the Monterey Peninsula.
Robin

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
$750 + $500 just for permits. Wtf? When I had my wiring done for my EVSE everything, including permits, was approximately $500 (not including the cost of the Leviton EVSE which was around $650).

Just for fun, I looked up San Jose (where OP is) electric permit fee. It is a freaking $251 per hour.. yeah they charge per hour of inspection. And the $500 is probably for the electrician that has to be present during the inspection.. So 3 hours of inspection would be $750 for the city and $500 for the electrician!

Just for fun, I looked up San Jose (where OP is) electric permit fee. It is a freaking $251 per hour.. yeah they charge per hour of inspection. And the $500 is probably for the electrician that has to be present during the inspection.. So 3 hours of inspection would be $750 for the city and $500 for the electrician!
Ouch!, that is outrageous! you would think a city so progressive would allow a discount for EV charging installation.

That’s nuts. I remember when I had my inspection after the job was completed it took the township inspector about 5 minutes. In fact, I think his drive over to me was longer than his inspection. Talk about price gouging and bureaucracy.

That’s nuts. I remember when I had my inspection after the job was completed it took the township inspector about 5 minutes. In fact, I think his drive over to me was longer than his inspection. Talk about price gouging and bureaucracy.

I think the pdf listed most of the electrical permits as minimum 30 min @ $251 per hour. So even a 5 min job would be $125.50. I didn't read the whole document, but I think the per hour rate is just for the inspection... there may be a fee associated with actual permit itself. The electrician also may have put the $750 because it may need multiple inspections... like come out for the subpanel.. and later come out again for the outlet. Maybe even put in re-work and re-inspection.

well yes indeed. Mom had one for more than 10 years and I am still using her fabulous ceramic dishes 40 years later.

Fantastic!

The PO of my house had the kiln, plus a whole rock tumbling/polishing operation. There are still a few garden gnomes that he and his wife made hiding around our patio. The circuit for the kiln was originally 50 amps, but for various reasons I've downgraded it to 30 amps. Still a very reasonable charging rate. I also owe the PO a huge debt of gratitude as they had the special PG&E TOU meter installed like 30+ years ago. So when we bought the house we were able to get TOU rates, E-7 back then, with no new meter charge. Over the years it has saved us many thousands of dollars.

• Informative
Model 3 is my second EV in the garage (I have 2018 LEAF). I wanted to keep my 50 amp outlet dedicated to my first EV (wife drives it, she plugs in every time she gets home, I want her to have full charge all the time). After considering several options I ended up using my 20 amp 120 volt line as my starting point. Because it's #12 wire I used it to install NEMA 6-20 outlet. That gives me 16 amps 240 volt charge rate.

My commute is 60 miles round trip. Plus I drive a lot on top of that. I arrived home yesterday with 25% left, the car was up to 85% this morning before I left for work. You should see if you can have them use existing wiring to get you a NEMA 6-20 or even NEMA 6-15.

People have kilns inside their garage?

A kiln gets used what... once a month? Building an entire building or shed, plus wiring, to house it seems wasteful especially when I have a nice big concrete-floored space with lots of optional ventilation already there. Probably helps that I have like 12' ceilings(unfinished, just floor joists) and another rafter space above that probably 9' high at the peak.

I don't have a garage kiln, but I could see where it would work pretty well. The cars can stay out of my two car garage for 12-24 hours at a time, if needed, and the kiln could roll to an unused corner(if I had one) for the rest of the time.

• Disagree