Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your Upcoming Model Y Order Cancelation Email

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They responded back to me two days later. Although too late now for you since you responded, for the rest of you who have not, DON’T respond to them because they will, without discussion, remove your hold and open your order for fulfillment. Best to wait until the day before the drop dead date they give you and then go into your account and click on the button that says “I’m ready” that way you retain as much control possible over your order.
Huh? If you respond and say you aren't ready they will fulfill your order? I responded and they didn't fulfill my order.

Huh? If you respond and say you aren't ready they will fulfill your order? I responded and they didn't fulfill my order.
Yup. I told them I wasn’t ready and yet received this response:

Hello,

Thanks for the note. We will go ahead and open your order for fulfillment. I have looped in your sales advisor who can assist with next steps with regards to delivery timing.

Best,

Jorge Sanchez
Inside Operations Advisor
6569 Las Vegas Blvd South, Suite 200, Las Vegas, NV 89119

It’s not “abusing the system” when it’s something that has been allowed and actually facilitated by their sales advisors …
Check your order agreement. Don't confuse them being fairly liberal about people pushing orders with something they are obligated to do. Obviously this is creating a delivery backlog / delay problem so they're starting to enforce the terms of the purchase agreement you e-signed when ordering the vehicle.

Hello,

Thanks for the note. We will go ahead and open your order for fulfillment. I have looped in your sales advisor who can assist with next steps with regards to delivery timing.

Best,

Jorge Sanchez
Exact same thing happened to me. I was assigned a vin within 12 hours of getting that email. I am going to visit the store near me in an attempt to go back on hold.

Reactions: mike in o.c.

Hello,

Best,

Jorge Sanchez
I received the same email except for the Advisor name.... my delivery was on hold until Jan. 2, 2022, and after I received this email, my hold was released and now my EDD is 12/3 - 12/17.

I will go to the DELIVERY center tomorrow to have it back on Hold

Reactions: mike in o.c.
The length matters. I am about 7 months out from my original order and I was just told I needed to confirm that I am still interested by a certain date. They did not give me a drop dead date for taking delivery like the order floating around from 18 months ago. I said I would be ready in January 2022 as I have said since day 1 when I placed the hold. I think the hold policy is up to 12 months or so. The fine print says you have to take delivery once your car is ready. If you don't have a VIN assigned, your car isn't ready for delivery. Fine print goes both ways, it helps if you actually read it and understand what it means. As long as you use the hold option (this is Tesla authorized, not some under the table thing) before you have a VIN assigned, you are following the rules. If Tesla wants to change that then they need to make it public.
Read deeper. Technically they only have to hold it for you once. They did you a huge favor.

Reactions: Ogre
Why should anyone be frustrated? They’ve held off for 6-18 months. If you read the fine print technically you have 30-90 days and one push out. If anything Tesla has been overly gracious.

Fine print covers this. It’s not Tesla’s responsibility to read for a bunch of indecisive adults that don’t read the fine print.
Don’t think they are indecisive, they are quite decisive, they want the price when they ordered plus the tax incentives.
I don’t have much of a problem with anything that is happening (other than the wait for my MYLR). I am not upset with anyone trying to better their situation as I am not upset with Tesla for trying to better theirs.

I received the same email except for the Advisor name.... my delivery was on hold until Jan. 2, 2022, and after I received this email, my hold was released and now my EDD is 12/3 - 12/17.

I will go to the DELIVERY center tomorrow to have it back on Hold
It may be more difficult as it does seem Tesla is trying to come down on the holds for tax incentive reasons.

Let's say you want to delay until the new year for the tax rebate. They say they won't accept a hold and that they will cancel your reservation. What happens if the car has a lot of issues and you just reject the car?
Don’t worry, you’ve got 3 months to take delivery after they first notify you to do so.
From page 3 of the order agreement:

“Delivery; Transfer of Title. If you are picking up your Vehicle in a state where we are licensed to sell the Vehicle, we will notify you of when we expect your Vehicle to be ready for delivery at your local Tesla Delivery Center, or other location as we may agree to. You agree to schedule and take delivery of your Vehicle within three (3) days of this date. If you do not respond to our notification or are unable to take delivery within the specified period, your Vehicle may be made available for sale to other customers. For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within three (3) months of our first attempt to notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee.”

Reactions: Satishc
Don’t worry, you’ve got 3 months to take delivery after they first notify you to do so.
From page 3 of the order agreement:

“Delivery; Transfer of Title. If you are picking up your Vehicle in a state where we are licensed to sell the Vehicle, we will notify you of when we expect your Vehicle to be ready for delivery at your local Tesla Delivery Center, or other location as we may agree to. You agree to schedule and take delivery of your Vehicle within three (3) days of this date. If you do not respond to our notification or are unable to take delivery within the specified period, your Vehicle may be made available for sale to other customers. For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within three (3) months of our first attempt to notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee.”
Where do you see 3 months? Looks like 30 days to me. See: https://www.tesla.com/order/download-order-agreement?redirect=no&country=US&model_code=m3

For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within thirty (30) days of our first attempt to notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee.

Last edited:
For those who hold 6+ months, whatever your reasons are, you definitely played the game. However Tesla didn’t specify in the T&C, and should + must honor the rule. (Growing too fast somebody made mistakes in corporate)

Expanding a bit on my post above, I see two terms listed in my order agreement relevant to this discussion:

1. For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within thirty (30) days of our first attempt to notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee.
  2. If you do not take delivery of your Vehicle within ninety (90) days of placing your order at no fault of Tesla’s, we may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transportation Fee.
Tesla may be starting to take a more assertive stance on enforcing these terms. My interpretation of the first one is that you have 30 days to accept a car after they offer a VIN and delivery window, they could cancel your order. So you can’t keep declining cars indefinitely. The second tells me that you also have only 90 days from your order date to accept a car unless they caused the delay, so you can’t put on an indefinite hold.

I placed my order on 9/25, and have a hold until 12/31. It seems like Tesla could force me to accept a car by 12/25 if they had one available and wanted to be real jerks about it. I’m counting on this not happening.

From mike in o.c.’s post above, it sounds like his sales agreement has a different duration for the first term I listed. For others who have orders that are 6 months old, I am curious if your agreement has longer durations for both of the terms above.

Expanding a bit on my post above, I see two terms listed in my order agreement relevant to this discussion:

1. For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within thirty (30) days of our first attempt to notify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee.
  2. If you do not take delivery of your Vehicle within ninety (90) days of placing your order at no fault of Tesla’s, we may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transportation Fee.
Tesla may be starting to take a more assertive stance on enforcing these terms. My interpretation of the first one is that you have 30 days to accept a car after they offer a VIN and delivery window, they could cancel your order. So you can’t keep declining cars indefinitely. The second tells me that you also have only 90 days from your order date to accept a car unless they caused the delay, so you can’t put on an indefinite hold.

I placed my order on 9/25, and have a hold until 12/31. It seems like Tesla could force me to accept a car by 12/25 if they had one available and wanted to be real jerks about it. I’m counting on this not happening.

From mike in o.c.’s post above, it sounds like his sales agreement has a different duration for the first term I listed. For others who have orders that are 6 months old, I am curious if your agreement has longer durations for both of the terms above.
They aren’t being jerks. They’re sticking to the agreement you agreed to.

Reactions: Ogre and Naija King
They aren’t being jerks. They’re sticking to the agreement you agreed to.
Well in my case we’re talking about something they may or may not do in the future, so agreed, we can’t call them jerks yet for something they haven’t done. But if they did remove my hold on 12/22 and told me they that they had a car I had to accept in the next 72 hours (the 90 day mark) or they would cancel my order and keep my fee, just days before I would qualify for an $8K tax credit, then I would have much more colorful language to describe Tesla. Even if they are sticking to the letter of their agreement. But I seriously doubt this will happen.

Reactions: samori01
I ordered this Summer when congress had a self-imposed deadline to pass the reconciliation bill in September. As it's been delayed, I've been honest with Tesla and they've pushed my hold until 12/1. Seems like simple logic to try to get the best deal available. I'm not sure why there's so much hate related to this. It's Tesla's crazy system.

Reactions: samori01
Well in my case we’re talking about something they may or may not do in the future, so agreed, we can’t call them jerks yet for something they haven’t done. But if they did remove my hold on 12/22 and told me they that they had a car I had to accept in the next 72 hours (the 90 day mark) or they would cancel my order and keep my fee, just days before I would qualify for an $8K tax credit, then I would have much more colorful language to describe Tesla. Even if they are sticking to the letter of their agreement. But I seriously doubt this will happen.
They don't owe you a tax credit... you're saving what 16K off the car? Plenty of other people have taken 2-8K discounts in the past 6 months with rising costs on components and materials. Honestly just take delivery of the car. Its a great car and you're saving a ton from what you would've already.

Look I don't blame anyone for wanting to maximize it. But Tesla doesn't owe you that much really if any discount. Technically they've already gone beyond the agreement for your contract with the one hold. What will be funny is how upset people will be that they couldn't trick the system.

Yet in Oakland Rav4 Primes are getting mark ups of 20-40k. What Tesla really needs to do is any time people put a hold on their car they just adjust the price to the updated price like they do if you change colors etc. That would solve all of this.