Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zappi or Hypervolt for a solar home system ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know for a long time, Zappi had been the best charging point for integrating with a solar powered house. But now with other good CPs in the market, is Zappi still the top choice in terms of features, solar integration etc ?

I'm deciding between Zappi and Hypervolt ... Does Hypervolt provide similar solar integration features to Zappi (or better?)

Basically, for a solar powered house, would Hypervolt or Zappi be better ?

I have a Hypervolt and my brother next door has a Zappi.
Hypervolt is nothing more than a dumb charger with a CT clamp, it can't even do scheduled charging. The only thing it can do is lock your charger via the app, give you a bit of detail of your charging history and divert excess solar to your car if charging.

Zappi seems much smarter in regards to solar integration, if I had to choose I again I would choose Zappi

• Disagree
Reactions: Casss
I have been looking at the new GivEnergy charge points. Any views on how they compare? (I'm getting solar + battery installed in the next few months). So I have only just started looking at charge points.

I'm on the Givenergy facebook groups and I can tell you the amount of bugs the existing inverter/battery has.
Not trying to promote Zappi but if you want something that is reliable and have been around for years go for that.

Givenergy Charger will no doubt have full of bugs on release, or features missing that Zappi already has

Reactions: daveface
I'm on the Givenergy facebook groups and I can tell you the amount of bugs the existing inverter/battery has.
Not trying to promote Zappi but if you want something that is reliable and have been around for years go for that.

Givenergy Charger will no doubt have full of bugs on release, or features missing that Zappi already has
lol brilliant - Maybe I should head over an take a look, I am getting the 9.7 GivEnergy battery with AC inverter installed....fingers crossed it isn't that buggy. My installer has them himself and hasn't had any issues apparently.

But thanks for the heads up on the charger. I was basically torn between Zappi / GivEnergy and Tesla charge points.

I have a Hypervolt and my brother next door has a Zappi.
Hypervolt is nothing more than a dumb charger with a CT clamp, it can't even do scheduled charging. The only thing it can do is lock your charger via the app, give you a bit of detail of your charging history and divert excess solar to your car if charging.

Zappi seems much smarter in regards to solar integration, if I had to choose I again I would choose Zappi
Thanks, that helped.

Can you give me some more info please, What are the extra smart features Zappi has that Hypervolt doesnt ?

I don't really know the differences but for one Zappi you can monitor where your excess solar power is diverting to, whereas Hypervolt doesn't have that feature as it's just an EV charger

1660560142787.png

I don't really know the differences but for one Zappi you can monitor where your excess solar power is diverting to, whereas Hypervolt doesn't have that feature as it's just an EV charger
Nice!

Did you get the CT clamp installed by Zappi installers or Solar installers ?

Just checked the Zappi website, you dont have to buy a hub for units made after 4th April 2022 (v2.1 as I understand)

Last edited:
I've been considering both options too and was dead set on the Hypervolt as they are emerging, have similar capabilities and like the simplistic look of the device. Also was unsure exactly of the setup of the Zappi due to the Harvi wireless device and if this was indeed required hence was swayed by Hypervolt, along with hyperconnect cable, to simplify install for local electrician.

We've had Hypervolt since Feb 22, not had one problem and yes It has scheduled charging, remote locking all that stuff. We went with Hypervolt over the Zappi because of the sleeker and modern design whereas the Zappi for me for more chunky and dated in design.

Yes it is gimmicky but I quite like the LED theme lights that you can switch to (Queen's Jubliee colours when it came round, Halloween, Peace (Ukraine colours) and so on..).

Also, appears to be the go to choice for a few electricians out there (as seen on YouTube) because Hypervolt has really good customer support (in terms of helpfulness and responsiveness) not that I had to ever call them but its reassuring to know they are there when you need them.

We've had Hypervolt since Feb 22, not had one problem and yes It has scheduled charging, remote locking all that stuff. We went with Hypervolt over the Zappi because of the sleeker and modern design whereas the Zappi for me for more chunky and dated in design.

Yes it is gimmicky but I quite like the LED theme lights that you can switch to (Queen's Jubliee colours when it came round, Halloween, Peace (Ukraine colours) and so on..).

Also, appears to be the go to choice for a few electricians out there (as seen on YouTube) because Hypervolt has really good customer support (in terms of helpfulness and responsiveness) not that I had to ever call them but its reassuring to know they are there when you need them.
Interesting! I too favour the design of Hypervolt but have been hearing that the features on Zappi are better and the best for solar powered houses.

The dilemma!

I've been considering both options too and was dead set on the Hypervolt as they are emerging, have similar capabilities and like the simplistic look of the device. Also was unsure exactly of the setup of the Zappi due to the Harvi wireless device and if this was indeed required hence was swayed by Hypervolt, along with hyperconnect cable, to simplify install for local electrician.
Ah I see. Which model do you have ? I think the latest version (2.1) comes with inbuilt Wi-Fi connection capability

Ah I see. Which model do you have ? I think the latest version (2.1) comes with inbuilt Wi-Fi connection capability

The Harvi is not a wifi device, it's used to connect CT clamps wirelessly to the Zappi or Hub (ours has a Hub as it predates this functionality being integrated into the Zappi).

Our Zappi came with a single cable which provides the T+E connection to the CU and this cable also integrates a twisted pair with a CT clamp. So for installation of a CT to sense a single current flow there is no Harvi needed - this is a neat solution. You can wire up to three CTs directly into the Zappi.. But with our solar in the garage routing cabling for a CT clamp would have been a nuisance, so we got a Harvi and put a CT clamp into that. The Harvi draws power from the CT clamp in order to transmit the signal.

I was asking around all the EV charger manufacturers when I knew I was moving house and was deciding if I should stick with Zappi or switch. I asked all of them including Hypervolt what made their charger better than Zappi. Hypervolt were the only company to bad mouth Zappi rather than promoting anything positive about their product. That plus when I asked if they did a remote CT clamp like the Myenrgi Harvi and all they could say was they didn't because it would break the regulations and said Myenrgi were in breach of the regulations by selling them, which I researched and isn't true.

Due to the arrogant attitude of not trying to sell their products but bad mouth the competition and lying, I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole even if they had the best product out there.

Other manufacturers were more creative with their benefits over Zappi, like they did different colours. A couple said that all the chargers were basically the same and it came down to only small differences, I don't think that is true. In the end I stuck with my Zappi and actually had it disconnected and moved to the new house as that was cheapest,

Reactions: Toblerone