Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it's very hard .. that's why the best minds in Tesla, Waymo. MobileEye etc have worked hard on it for 15+ years now just to get it where we are now.
Not so hard, according to 2021 Time Magazine Person of the Year in a June 2016 quote, a mere 5 1/2 years ago:

“I really consider autonomous driving a solved problem,” he said. “I think we are probably less than two years away.”

• Funny
Reactions: ContrarianDC
Tried 10.6.1 yesterday night in NJ.. I could not figure any noticeable improvements.. on the contrary it felt worser.
Car took a protected left turn after I pushed on the gas.. when it turned, it got into a wrong lane (which was another left)..I had to take over control to get it back on track.
Too many hard breaks.. it was like 2mph near a stop sign.. but it would still break hard.
Still does not recognize any speed breakers in my area..(really well painted)
Very jittery driving..
After my wife threatened me with to let her out of the car if I wanted to still keep trying... I gave in, and took over.

Tested 10.6.1 (Standard setting) for about 20 miles last night. There were some noticeable improvements, with respect to confidence in turning, in my usual test area. But also plenty of room for more improvement. I still have to disengage at almost all of the same places as 10.5.

Steering Wheel: There was less jerkiness on the steering wheel, both with right-hand turns and left-hand turns. I still HATE the lack of signaling when departing lanes. This is a traffic violation.

Roundabouts: The roundabout performance was much smoother. Granted, the car still stops way back from it, before the crosswalk, but with 1 gentle press of the pedal the car seems to go in and out smoothly. I still HATE the signaling going into and leaving the roundabout. There should be no signaling!

Stop signs: Still stops too far back from most Stop signs when a turn is required, but appears to make the turn with more confidence, and did not stop partially through. I think the 10.5 (and 10.6.1) behavior is good for Stop signs when you are going straight. I feel like in 10.4/10.5 the car would get partially into a right turn and the cameras would no longer be able to see the cross traffic. Then it would want to pull into this cross traffic and I would have to disengage. On 10.6.1 the car appeared to make up it's mind and just go.

Phantom Braking: Still happens when driving under some overpasses, consistently. I also noticed it does this if there is a tree overhanging the road; I'm talking branches like 20 feet high.

Mapping: Still getting inconsistent behavior with repeated driving on the same routes. When I want to go home there is a 3 lane road, 1 opposite traffic lane, 1 left turn only lane, and a straight/right turn lane. The navigation and visualization both show the car preparing for a left turn. 75% of the time it does a good job. But that 25% the car might swerve into the right lane for no reason, even with cars present in the right lane. Sometimes it veers right into the right lane a few feet before making the left. Sometimes the car will not even enter the left lane at all. Happens in the day and the night, rain or shine. I am not speaking about the turn being unprotected, I'm speaking to the protected/green left arrow scenario.

I have confidence in Tesla that there will be improvements to the above issues, but my priorities are not their priorities. If we're lucky, we might get one more release this year.

I still HATE the lack of signaling when departing lanes. This is a traffic violation.

Roundabouts: The roundabout performance was much smoother. Granted, the car still stops way back from it, before the crosswalk, but with 1 gentle press of the pedal the car seems to go in and out smoothly. I still HATE the signaling going into and leaving the roundabout. There should be no signaling!
Agreed on the first, even though 80% of people don't signal here that does not mean it is legal. Roundabouts - guess you can argue about signalling there, not even sure if there's a rule about it here, in the UK you would do that always.

I'm still on 10.5, what bothers me most is the poor lane position when initiating left and right turns (on streets without turning lanes). When turning right from a 3-lane major road it should move close to the curb, instead it stays left in the rightmost lane, leaving enough room for a vehicle to pass in between you and the curb, then steers left a bit just before steering right.

Agreed on the first, even though 80% of people don't signal here that does not mean it is legal. Roundabouts - guess you can argue about signalling there, not even sure if there's a rule about it here, in the UK you would do that always.

I'm still on 10.5, what bothers me most is the poor lane position when initiating left and right turns (on streets without turning lanes). When turning right from a 3-lane major road it should move close to the curb, instead it stays left in the rightmost lane, leaving enough room for a vehicle to pass in between you and the curb, then steers left a bit just before steering right.
Honestly, if Tesla solved roundabouts last, I wouldn't be upset.

I did some research after reading your post, and now I'm unclear as to whether I should signal entering or leaving a roundabout.

Perhaps this varies from state to state, or even city to city. Locally, when they first started getting installed (about 2010), a local TV news feature with the state department of transportation said "signaling is not necessary, as it adds confusion."

There was a court case in "roundabout capital of the US," Carmel, Indiana (128 roundabouts for 92,000 residents) which ruled that you do not have to signal, at least when exiting. Existing turn signal law speaks to indicating 200 feet before a turn. Well, there is never that much space available inside a roundabout.

I admit I could signal before entering. I guess I was maybe reacting to my car stopping well back from the crosswalk, sitting still with the blinker on. o_O

• Funny
Reactions: edseloh and EVNow
I did some research after reading your post, and now I'm unclear as to whether I should signal entering or leaving a roundabout.
Actually signalling when leaving the roundabout is just polite and improves the traffic flow, as any vehicle waiting to enter the roundabout can then enter. Signalling when entering the roundabout doesn't really have much impact on the traffic flow.

Actually signalling when leaving the roundabout is just polite and improves the traffic flow, as any vehicle waiting to enter the roundabout can then enter. Signalling when entering the roundabout doesn't really have much impact on the traffic flow.
In the UK where roundabouts are the norm, you signal to indicate both that you are continuing
The bigger roundabouts, with two concentric lanes (more common in Europe) you really need to signal when shifting from the inner to outer lanes so ppl know to give way to you when entering the roundabout.

Reactions: edseloh
I tested 10.6.1 again last night, for about 25 miles of surface street driving.

I will say, I really noticed how much it uses regenerative braking more than prior versions. Especially when you have "normal traffic" and street conditions. I have previous posts on 10.5 where I complained about how much usage the brake pads got in 6 weeks with FSD Beta versus 18 months without it. You still get some brake-stabby behavior, sometimes. Like when you have a curve or a hill and the traffic is stopped beyond it, the car will maintain speed or even speed up, then slam on the brakes when it sees them. Sorry to go here, but one has to wonder how the use of Radar would affect performance.

Another issue I would like to see cleared up: the car turning on the wipers and squirting washer fluid for no reason.

The screen says something about "using wipers to clean cameras," but there was no need as my windshield was pristine. It has to do with sun angle during the day, but last night it was definitely just a street light. My suggestion would be to switch this behavior to a message on the screen saying "it may be dirty. activate wipers." This way I could drive 10 more feet and watch the message go away, rather than actually dirty my windshield with unnecessary wiper action.

• Funny
Reactions: EVNow
I am hoping/pretending that they are taking extra time on the FSD reports from my drives to get them right for 10.7 :)

"Keep training on that left out of JulienW's neighborhood until you get it right ... I mean not right ... You know what I mean ... When the average car makes that left turn right"
I'm with you on the neighborhood-leaving comment. Unfortunately when leaving my neighborhood the cross traffic cannot be seen more than 150 feet in one direction, and about 200 in the other (curves and hills). I only let the car attempt a left turn off my street when it's dark out. That way I can feel more comfortable as to when traffic is coming.

10.4 would get you killed as it tended to stop partially into the turn as it was unsure. 10.5 was still too timid to actually go without a pedal nudge. 10.6.1 is far more confident once it get going, but it still stops well back from the Stop sign (10-15 feet), and creeps up super slow. Standard FSD setting.

I am not seeing much in the way of any improvements since getting into FSD beta program. In fact, with 10.6.1 it has gotten worse for me. On several attempted unprotected left turns, the car will attempt to turn a bit late into oncoming traffic, or worse, yet, pause in the middle of the turn when it sees an oncoming car coming quicker than it expected. In all cases I have to take over in order to prevent a collision. What's most disappointing is that Elon has posted that with each of the past 2 revisions we should be seeing an improvement with left turns. Unfortunately, I have found the opposite to be true.