Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100,000+ Mile Club

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was back in August. Up to 102K now :)
IMG_1923.jpg

Thanks to TMC I bought a used MS85 with 115,000 miles. It had all the usual replaced items. Seems like most things are sorted out. I’m counting on the drive train and battery warranty to handle the really expensive stuff for the next 4+ years.

I chose a body color roof, coil suspension, 19” wheels and 85KWh battery for solid longevity. AP1 works very well.

How much does a “yearly service” cost on average with just preventative maintenance being performed?

Replace 12V battery every three (3) years as preventative measure?

Go in to SC every other year if I have no problems?

Wear items: Tires. Wipers. Windshield washer fluid. What else?

Looking forward to seeing these cars press on toward Elon’s million mile life span prediction.

Thanks to TMC I bought a used MS85 with 115,000 miles. It had all the usual replaced items. Seems like most things are sorted out. I’m counting on the drive train and battery warranty to handle the really expensive stuff for the next 4+ years.

I chose a body color roof, coil suspension, 19” wheels and 85KWh battery for solid longevity. AP1 works very well.

How much does a “yearly service” cost on average with just preventative maintenance being performed?

Replace 12V battery every three (3) years as preventative measure?

Go in to SC every other year if I have no problems?

Wear items: Tires. Wipers. Windshield washer fluid. What else?

Looking forward to seeing these cars press on toward Elon’s million mile life span prediction.
I think the 12v battery issues are finally sorted out. Batteries should be good for much longer now .Maybe 4 years at least?

Reactions: FlyinLow
Haven't posted in a LONG time but I ran across this thread and decided to chime in:

2013 P85 - I have 111,000 miles on the car so far. My battery charges to 250 at 100%. I just had to replace a bunch of suspension parts for pulling left or right on the highway during acceleration and deceleration. That bill was $2,200. Otherwise I haven't had to pay for any other repairs.

I'm a little leary of the cost of repairs becuase I always get this way with high mileage cars. But my wife really wants to hit 200K. So hopefully I'll be posting about that in another 3 years!

Haven't posted in a LONG time but I ran across this thread and decided to chime in:

2013 P85 - I have 111,000 miles on the car so far. My battery charges to 250 at 100%. I just had to replace a bunch of suspension parts for pulling left or right on the highway during acceleration and deceleration. That bill was $2,200. Otherwise I haven't had to pay for any other repairs.

I'm a little leary of the cost of repairs becuase I always get this way with high mileage cars. But my wife really wants to hit 200K. So hopefully I'll be posting about that in another 3 years!
how many miles did you have when you replaced the suspension parts? Also, do you have the coils or the air suspension?

Excellent. Thank you.
I'm literally in the process of replacing mine right now - 5 years exactly since it was replaced proactively by Tesla(when it was still under warranty). That's about as good as any ICE battery I've had, but it is an irksome reminder that no matter how great this car is in terms of low maintenance, at the end of the day, it is still a car.

Reactions: jbcarioca
I hit 100,000 miles June 4 of 2017.
118k now. Got 247 my last 100% (range mode off), about 222 at 90%.
I was thinking that's a bit low, but from the posts I've read here I guess it's appropriate.

I've had many of the same issues others have posted, almost all when it was under warranty. I did not get the ESA, it was the right choise for me.
Out of the ordinary stuff, I recently replaced my 4th (!) trunk latch. I did it myself, part was around $40.
Also out of the ordinary, I broke my wiper transmission. Replaced that myself with a used one.
I free up the brake pads when I get the chance, usually when I swap tires. They stick to the calipers too often.
Still on the original pads (!), I may get some new ones this year.

Overall, still a fabulous car; I don't think I can bear to drive anything else now.

I hit 100,000 miles 3 weeks ago. Battery charges to 264 miles, though it was warranty replaced by Tesla at around 50K. Issues have been not too bad to this point:
  • 4 door handles replaced. 2 under warranty, two not. I have written about this elsewhere, but the SC fixed 2 last week for a little over $500.
  • Had persistent tire sensor errors back when I was under warranty, but that seems ok now
  • Bubbles have formed (and stabilized, thank god) on the main 17" screen. Everything works as it should, but it looks a little odd around the top edges
  • I'm tall, and the driver side B pillar gets worn down. No matter how conscientious I am entering and exiting, it still happens. Tesla did one warranty replacement on this back in the day. I bought some thermo plastic and a heat gun and am going to try to mold a small cover to protect the friction point.
What is the mileage record for a Model S so far? What's the top odometer? Has anyone tripped 150,000? 200,000?

I hit 100,000 miles June 4 of 2017.
118k now. Got 247 my last 100% (range mode off), about 222 at 90%.
I was thinking that's a bit low, but from the posts I've read here I guess it's appropriate.

I've had many of the same issues others have posted, almost all when it was under warranty. I did not get the ESA, it was the right choise for me.
Out of the ordinary stuff, I recently replaced my 4th (!) trunk latch. I did it myself, part was around $40.
Also out of the ordinary, I broke my wiper transmission. Replaced that myself with a used one.
I free up the brake pads when I get the chance, usually when I swap tires. They stick to the calipers too often.
Still on the original pads (!), I may get some new ones this year.

Overall, still a fabulous car; I don't think I can bear to drive anything else now.
your range is exactly the same as mine.... except I have 76k miles. I would say to get those #'s at 118k is very good... but then again, maybe I'm below the curve.
Out of warranty I'm currently struggling with a door handle that presents but won't open the driver's side rear door, constant water intrusion into the rear hatch (not just under the NEW tail light fascia, but more importantly INSIDE the hatch where it pours out the handles when I arrive)... the rear hatch has been a problem since I was under warranty and they "fixed" it over and over.... obviously not permanently. Last issue I'm having is my seat is rocking forward when I brake moderately to heavily. I was hoping Tesla would just tighten it down for me, but no... they said all they could do is replace the ENTIRE seat and the seat assembly... quote was $2600-2800 with a TEN week wait to even GET the parts... then who knows how long to get the seat swapped.
I'll be honest even though I'd rather not drive anything else right now- I may not own another Tesla after this one

I hit 100,000 miles 3 weeks ago. Battery charges to 264 miles, though it was warranty replaced by Tesla at around 50K. Issues have been not too bad to this point:
  • 4 door handles replaced. 2 under warranty, two not. I have written about this elsewhere, but the SC fixed 2 last week for a little over $500.
  • Had persistent tire sensor errors back when I was under warranty, but that seems ok now
  • Bubbles have formed (and stabilized, thank god) on the main 17" screen. Everything works as it should, but it looks a little odd around the top edges
  • I'm tall, and the driver side B pillar gets worn down. No matter how conscientious I am entering and exiting, it still happens. Tesla did one warranty replacement on this back in the day. I bought some thermo plastic and a heat gun and am going to try to mold a small cover to protect the friction point.
What is the mileage record for a Model S so far? What's the top odometer? Has anyone tripped 150,000? 200,000?
A Tesla Model S hits 300,000 miles in just 2 years – saving an estimated $60,000 on fuel and maintenance

your range is exactly the same as mine.... except I have 76k miles. I would say to get those #'s at 118k is very good... but then again, maybe I'm below the curve.
Out of warranty I'm currently struggling with a door handle that presents but won't open the driver's side rear door, constant water intrusion into the rear hatch (not just under the NEW tail light fascia, but more importantly INSIDE the hatch where it pours out the handles when I arrive)... the rear hatch has been a problem since I was under warranty and they "fixed" it over and over.... obviously not permanently. Last issue I'm having is my seat is rocking forward when I brake moderately to heavily. I was hoping Tesla would just tighten it down for me, but no... they said all they could do is replace the ENTIRE seat and the seat assembly... quote was $2600-2800 with a TEN week wait to even GET the parts... then who knows how long to get the seat swapped.
I'll be honest even though I'd rather not drive anything else right now- I may not own another Tesla after this one
The door handle issue sounds like the common micro switch issue, the wires break where they flex. Poor design. Tesla charges too much to replace. They can be repaired, there are videos out there.
I had the same hatch water issue. (Open hatch, water pours out.) It went in under warranty in Sept of 2014. They replaced both reverse lights on the hatch and re-sealed. The problem has not recurred.
The seat sounds like quite a disappointment. If it's not loose mounting, my first guess would be a worn out adjustment part; so they might be right about needing a replacement.
Good luck getting it all taken care of.

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
The door handle issue sounds like the common micro switch issue, the wires break where they flex. Poor design. Tesla charges too much to replace. They can be repaired, there are videos out there.
I had the same hatch water issue. (Open hatch, water pours out.) It went in under warranty in Sept of 2014. They replaced both reverse lights on the hatch and re-sealed. The problem has not recurred.
The seat sounds like quite a disappointment. If it's not loose mounting, my first guess would be a worn out adjustment part; so they might be right about needing a replacement.
Good luck getting it all taken care of.
Thanks - yea they've worked on my hatch 2-3x including replacing my rear fascia with the new style before my warranty ran out.... As for my seat, the back also creaks like a haunted house... It's embarrassing when anyone else rides with me because any turn I take or move I make makes the seat back creak... Had that looked at 3-4x (maybe more) and was never resolved. Passenger seat doesn't make any noise at all.... like night and day... just unacceptable for the almost 90k I paid for the car. I've never had issues like this in new or used Fords or Hondas, let alone a 90k car.

Aside from Tesloop or any commercial business.

Who here has been the quickest to get to 100K?

At the rate I’m going I probably will get there in 3 years.

Also have all of you been doing the reccomended every 12.5K maintenance? I’m curious if people have been skipping some and doing others instead.

I have done zero scheduled maintenance. Back when I ordered, on Tesla's site was a remark about how much you'd save because you wouldn't have to pay for oil changes, etc. One scheduled service with Tesla cost more than ten oil changes. (Not required to maintain original warranty.)

I recall there was no documentation regarding exactly what the maintenance covered, but that it included brake pads (fat chance), washer fluid, maybe wiper blades. I'll have you know I'm pretty handy with a bottle of washer fluid.