Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100% drive unit failure rate??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's most definitely wet. They use Dexron VI in there, it's filled almost half way up in the case with it.

I've drained and refilled several cars, and so far I've found very little metal on the magnetic plug.

Tesla does a drain/refill every year, so I'd recommend you do it yourself if you aren't taking it in.

Is the black nut the fill in, and do you fill till it comes out from the top as in other differentials and such? thx

That would be my guess, fill at the black plug till it reaches that level.

I'm sure there is some warranty preserving, esoteric process (you know, in the service manual you can't buy) where you are required to use the computer diagnostic tool (you know, the one an owner can't purchase) to measure the DU temperature before leveling the fluid.

That's how it works in the S-Tronic in my S5....with the diagnostic tool I did buy (Ross-Tech), referencing the service manual I have a subscription to (Alldatadiy).

• Funny
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
I've seen the service manual. It most definitely says drain and refill the gearbox fluid during the annual service. The fluid they specify for the rear (small and large) is Dexron VI full synthetic, and the front is Mobil SHC 629. Not sure why they are different, but they are. The large rear DU uses 1.5 quarts, the rear small is 2.4 quarts and the front is 1.8 quarts.

Here's the procedure: (for the large rear DU)
pic

Thanks for that. I love it when a thread becomes a future findable reference for service.

Could you please indicate with an arrow or something on the previous photo you posted, which is the fill plug?

I soooo want the service manual.

for sure its not in the 2016 build p90d. recived a drive unit needs service on wed aug 23rd.

ASY,P-TRAIN,RMN,MDLS,SPORT,CMC,HS
(1025598-00-P)
ASY,HV COVER,INVERTER (1003783-00-B) 1
SIDE MOTOR MOUNT ASSEMBLY (1028034
-00-B)
ETHYLENE GLYCOL COOLANT - 50/50 MIX
- 1 gallon (1029320-00-A)
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID -
DEXRON VI - SYNTHETIC 212B (1031106-
00-A)

Correlated to holding the world record for the lowest lifetime average Wh/mi? :)
I am nowhere near the lowest :) (I may have the most miles at the lowest though :)

When I was about eight or nine, a father of one of my friends told us, "Every time you accelerate a bit too hard or go around a corner a bit too fast it costs you money". I've found that to be true. (Note: I am originally from Nebraska. For those who aren't or who don't know anyone from there, the average stereotypical Nebraskan makes the average stereotypical Scotsman look like a spendthrift.)

• Funny
Reactions: GSP and outdoors
I am nowhere near the lowest :) (I may have the most miles at the lowest though :)

When I was about eight or nine, a father of one of my friends told us, "Every time you accelerate a bit too hard or go around a corner a bit too fast it costs you money". I've found that to be true. (Note: I am originally from Nebraska. For those who aren't or who don't know anyone from there, the average stereotypical Nebraskan makes the average stereotypical Scotsman look like a spendthrift.)
I've been to Nebraska...ya guys don't have many corners to turn!!

• Funny
I've seen the service manual. It most definitely says drain and refill the gearbox fluid during the annual service. The fluid they specify for the rear (small and large) is Dexron VI full synthetic, and the front is Mobil SHC 629. Not sure why they are different, but they are. The large rear DU uses 1.5 quarts, the rear small is 2.4 quarts and the front is 1.8 quarts.

Here's the procedure: (for the large rear DU)
pic

The front drive unit on dual motor vehicles is equally easy. The PITA is for small rear drive units. They don't have a fill plug, so you are supposed to go through all the hassle of loosening the knuckle and removing one axle and axle seal and filling through that opening! Has to be a 2-3 hour job.

If I was doing this, I would seriously consider drilling and taping a fill port!

• Informative
My 2012 DU was replaced at 35,000 miles. That refurbished unit has now been replaced at 70,000 miles after it went "POP!" and the motor spun freely while the car coasted. I had just turned a corner and hit the accelerator. My lifetime power usage is 365 Wh/mile with a signature P85. The new DU has no noise and no slack. I hope the old problems are fixed. Soon I will be out of warranty at 8 years.

OK guys...this started out as a warning that (some) early cars were having drive unit failures. Should I be worried that my 2016 dual is vulnerable to that early design flaw - or have the engineered a fix to this flaw?

Please remember that well over 95% of the drive unit failures:

1) Involve the large drive unit, which is used on rear-wheel drive vehicles (40, 60, 70, 75, 85, 90, P85), and is also the rear unit of performance dual-motor vehicles (P85D, P90D, P100D)

2) Involve early-production units in 2012 through early 2014 vehicles.

Dual-motor non-performance vehicles (60D, 70D, 75D, 85D, 90D, 100D) use the small drive units, which are a newer design and do not have the inherent problems that the early production large drive units did.

I'm dreading it but my car needs another DU I think because the loud hum has returned at speed. This and the clunk/tick that happens on acceleration, deceleration, and coast are the two signs, but I think the first is the main symptom. This will be my 3rd DU in just ~67k miles if they replace. I plan to take it in after I return from a road trip coming up soon from Atlanta to Arkansas. I'm trying to drive it as long as I can before I take it in because 1) I don't know how much they'll cover out of warranty and 2) if there is no permanent fix for the problem yet, I'm trying to hold off until there is.