Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100% drive unit failure rate??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, it did look like a comment meant to be funny - but I was being serious - What the heck is a -Q unit?

If you scroll through this and the other drive unit replacement threads, you will see a cascading series of replacement drive unit part numbers with the revision denoted by the letter after the part number. The latest drive unit replacements are [perf p/n]-P (i.e. -P revision) for performance cars (also this one is re-manufactured) and [non-pref p/n]-Q (-Q revision) for non-performance cars (new drive unit). My 2013-vintage drive unit started droning around 8.5k miles and got progressively worse over time, and was replaced with a new -Q unit around 11k miles. Since then the -Q unit has been quiet and awesome, and others report good results with "the Q." As far as I read, there have been no reported -Q unit failures, so that is why I asked @Lump to clarify what is the evidence that -Q drive units are being replaced. Sorry for the confusion. I normally try to avoid writing gobbledygook.

Reactions: rpez021
As a result of this thread - I'm subjecting my 2016 MS D to its first annual service call [6500 miles, 11 months). The Ranger will pick it up next week for a days worth of service - including changing the crank case oil. I was under the impression that the gearbox was a simple single gear and not a fancy transmission, so no gearbox oil was even in existence. Silly me.
Should I even mention DU failures to the Ranger team?

I didn't see this posted in the last couple of pages, but it's worth posting again:
Tesla Model S battery pack data shows very little capacity loss over high mileage

tesla-major-maintenance-rate.png

Do you have a link to someone needing to replace a -Q drive unit?
Yes. Two Thirds of Early Model S Drivetrains May Fail By 60,000miles which I found via Drive Unit failure symptoms and thresholds for replacement.

That was from late 2015.

Here's another: What to do when Tesla refuses to make warranty repair
What to do when Tesla refuses to make warranty repair
Report of replacement: What to do when Tesla refuses to make warranty repair

There most definitely have been total failures of DUs which were installed or manufactured after November 2015.

Last edited:
As a result of this thread - I'm subjecting my 2016 MS D to its first annual service call [6500 miles, 11 months). The Ranger will pick it up next week for a days worth of service - including changing the crank case oil. I was under the impression that the gearbox was a simple single gear and not a fancy transmission, so no gearbox oil was even in existence. Silly me.
Should I even mention DU failures to the Ranger team?

If the motors aren't making any noise and there are no other symptoms (like loss of power) I wouldn't worry about it. The vast majority of problems were noise related (the motors started making a weird whirring noise, I heard it once at a supercharger and my car has never made any noise close to that) and almost all happened with the large motor. Your car has two of the smaller motors which have a much better track record from the start.

I have seen some stories on the forum of people who had a motor completely fail, but it's very uncommon. From the stories I've read here on this forum, when a dual motor car has a drive motor fail, the car has been driveable at least to a point where you're not going to be stranded.

I have a similar vintage car to yours with the same drive layout. I lean a bit towards being a worry wart, but this is not a problem that concerns me at all. You're much more likely to get a flat tire than have a drive unit go out.

From the stories I've read here on this forum, when a dual motor car has a drive motor fail, the car has been driveable at least to a point where you're not going to be stranded.
Not necessarily.

P85D Front Motor Died, explanation at P85D Front Motor Died.
Just took delivery of my new Model X 90D - Not At All Silky Smooth..., update at Just took delivery of my new Model X 90D - Not At All Silky Smooth... and on last page of thread, he stated they replaced the rear DU
"Rear Motor Disabled" - car wouldn't move after he put it in park
Drive Unit Replacement Poll - basically the same deal. Don't put it in park, otherwise you could get stranded.

Don't put it in Park if you get a drive disabled message. It's kind of tough not to put the car in Park ever. It will do it by itself if you walk away without putting it in Park. Note that most of these failures were 70Ds and 85Ds, both discontinued over a year ago. I would suspect most of those were early dual motor cars.

There is the occasional motor problem with cars made in 2016 or 2017, but it's rare. Much much rarer than the early cars. Think about it, you only hear the occasional complaint about this with the dual motor cars, even though production of them is 10X what production was back in 2013 and 2014.

I never said there were zero failures, I just said they are rare with newer cars.

Don't put it in Park if you get a drive disabled message. It's kind of tough not to put the car in Park ever. It will do it by itself if you walk away without putting it in Park. Note that most of these failures were 70Ds and 85Ds, both discontinued over a year ago. I would suspect most of those were early dual motor cars.

There is the occasional motor problem with cars made in 2016 or 2017, but it's rare. Much much rarer than the early cars. Think about it, you only hear the occasional complaint about this with the dual motor cars, even though production of them is 10X what production was back in 2013 and 2014.

I never said there were zero failures, I just said they are rare with newer cars.
Comforting. Thanks

I have seen some stories on the forum of people who had a motor completely fail, but it's very uncommon. From the stories I've read here on this forum, when a dual motor car has a drive motor fail, the car has been driveable at least to a point where you're not going to be stranded.
Well let me expand your story collection:
1. My P85 Sig's 2nd rear drive unit failed to the point where it wouldn't go into drive. After a power cycle, it came back and the car promptly went to the service center. DU was replaced, with the cause being electrical / control rather than motor. [1st drive unit was replaced for noise not function.]
2. My P85D front drive unit went out within the first week after delivery. Car would not go into D. Towed for service. Front drive unit and HVIL replaced.

Well let me expand your story collection:
1. My P85 Sig's 2nd rear drive unit failed to the point where it wouldn't go into drive. After a power cycle, it came back and the car promptly went to the service center. DU was replaced, with the cause being electrical / control rather than motor. [1st drive unit was replaced for noise not function.]
2. My P85D front drive unit went out within the first week after delivery. Car would not go into D. Towed for service. Front drive unit and HVIL replaced.

The first story is a bit unusual for an early RWD car, the "failure" was usually just noise and sometimes a performance decrease. Though you were able to reboot the car and get it moving again.

I think you have told the story of your P85D before. I should clarify when D cars have motor failures while driving, people have rarely been stranded. As someone pointed out upthread, when the car has a motor failure and you put it in Park, it won't allow you to leave Park. But when people have had a motor go out when driving, they have usually been able to limp the car on lower power to someplace where they have been able to stop.

• Informative
Reactions: brianman